Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View No religious tests.
7 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2008 - 5:55PM #11
Sacrificialgoddess

JosephBaileyOne wrote:

Article VI, section 3, to be exact and that little bit of the First Amendment applies here too.  It is really ashame that conservatives don't realize that a true conservative will embrace that teaching and leave religion out of it so that government can never, ever, tell any citinze what to believe about the Almighty.  However, reality is what it is and if a voter in the electorate thinks that a candidate's religion is important then that is how they will vote.

*shrugs*  I think most candidates will do anything to get a vote, including hauling out religious beliefs.  Then again, I'm cynical.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 2:28AM #12
TPaine
''The Religious Right, primarily through Pat Robertson's Christian Coalition, is seeking to take over America's public schools. In school board elections they have been remarkably successful in electing "Christian" candidates (Christian as they narrowly define it). They often run what have been described as "stealth" campaigns, not generally acknowledging who their candidates are, with political advertising  limited  only to certain churches with specific ideological bents. In other areas, the stealth nature of the campaign is to hide the full range of radical change that is sought by the candidate, focusing  instead on only one or two areas. "Hiding your light under a bushel" in American politics is dishonorable. Democracy depends on having voters hear what candidates really think about the range of matters that will come before them."*

Because of this I believe that the media, and the voters during  meet the candidate  meetings, have an obligation to question the candidates on all their beliefs and positions concerning those things they would be in a position to vote for or against in the office for which they are running. Persistent  questioning is the only way to expose these stealth candidates.

*Taken from  Why The Religious Right  Is Wrong About  Separation Of Church & State by Robert Boston Copyright 1993 by Rob Boston Published by Prometheus Books
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 8:41AM #13
Sacrificialgoddess
Sounds like an interesting book, Paine.  I need to add that to my "must read" list!  :D
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 2:58PM #14
TPaine

sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Sounds like an interesting book, Paine.  I need to add that to my "must read" list!  :D

If you're really interested: :)
http://www.amazon.com/Religious-Right-W … 052&sr=1-1

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook