Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 5:54PM #1
Mlyons619

The Religious Left

Percent of voting-age population: 12.6%

Theology: Theologically liberal Catholics, mainline and evangelical Protestants. Less church-bound (less than one-quarter report weekly worship attendance) and pluralistic in their beliefs (two-thirds agree that "all the world's great religious are equally true and good".)

Ideology: Conservative: 20%, Moderate: 50%, Liberal: 30%

Party: Republican: 31%, Independent: 18%, Democratic: 51%

Political trend: Probably growing in size and moving in a Democratic direction.

What they care about: Liberal on most everything. On marriage, 42% favor same-sex unions and 29% civil unions; 77% are pro-choice on abortion. A majority opposes the war in Iraq. But only a few report that their faith is important to their political thinking, and overall, they oppose the political involvement of religious organizations.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/153/stor … .html#left

Does this describe you?

Are you in essential agreement with what it means to be a member of the "Relious Left?"

Who will you be supporting?  What are your issues?
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2008 - 10:49AM #2
Christianlib
[QUOTE=mlyons619;634174]
Percent of voting-age population: 12.6%

Theology: Theologically liberal Catholics, mainline and evangelical Protestants. Less church-bound (less than one-quarter report weekly worship attendance) and pluralistic in their beliefs (two-thirds agree that "all the world's great religious are equally true and good".)

Ideology: Conservative: 20%, Moderate: 50%, Liberal: 30%

Party: Republican: 31%, Independent: 18%, Democratic: 51%

Political trend: Probably growing in size and moving in a Democratic direction.

What they care about: Liberal on most everything. On marriage, 42% favor same-sex unions and 29% civil unions; 77% are pro-choice on abortion. A majority opposes the war in Iraq. But only a few report that their faith is important to their political thinking, and overall, they oppose the political involvement of religious organizations.[/i][/color]

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/153/stor … .html#left

Does this describe you?

Are you in essential agreement with what it means to be a member of the "Relious Left?"

Who will you be supporting?  What are your issues?[/QUOTE]

In many ways this describes me.

I don't necessarily think "all religions are equally good and true."  But it would take too long to explain my actual thoughts on that.

AND, my faith IS important to my politics.  See Matt. 25, for example.

I will be supporting Obama, and nearly any candidate who is not a conservative republican

My issues are Peace, poverty and hunger in the US and worldwide, justice, equality, and a return to the rule of law under the Constitution.
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2008 - 8:07PM #3
Mlyons619
Thanks CL.

Anybody else wanna weigh in?
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2008 - 11:30PM #4
renaka
I tend to hold liberal views but live a conservative lifestyle.  My religious viewpoints do not affect my political viewpoints.  Although I am a liberal, I would fight to my death to allow right wing people the opportunity to hold their conservative viewpoints.

People don't have to agree with me, they just have to respect my right to hold opposing views.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 6:09AM #5
Father_Oblivion
There is no tribe for me, I am a religious anarchist. Anarchists are not "leftist". Many of my friends consider me to be conservative. I don't identify with modern US conservatives because my deepest core values include personal responsibility, which I see modern US conservatives, particularly "neo-cons" devoid of.
The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2008 - 10:42PM #6
PatHux
Interesting choices. Not one for liberal politics but fundamental beliefs about Christ. Many who believe there are fundamentals for salvation also feel that liberal politics is the best way to follow the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament.

I believe that there is salvation and one is born of the spirit when one believes in Jesus. I define salvation as knowing you are forgiven. I also believe that people can be found in all religions who are righteous and seek God and to do good. Before Judaism began, Enoch was righteous, Job, Noah, and then of course, Lot and Abraham. Elisha was taken up by God. I don't believe we are justified in saying that if you don't know Jesus, you are automatically condemned.

Pat
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2008 - 10:24PM #7
Justme333
Kind of stumbled on this board - clicked on the wrong board when changing.  But stopped to look around as I had never heard about the 12 Tribes of American Politics - interesting. Think I fit here.  Am a liberal Catholic and have already cast my vote for Obama.  My biggest issues are the Iraq war, and the return to following the constitution by our Government.  I am pro-life, but to me that includes ensuring our citizens have food, shelter, and health care, and have never really been hung up on the abortion issue other than thinking there would be fewer of them if mothers receive help with all aspects of their pregnancy including after delivery.  My faith is important to me and does influence my vote, I vote for social justice.

Justme
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2008 - 3:51PM #8
grandkids
I fit in this group. As long as I can remember I have been telling people I am a Christian a follower of the Lord. Well, I still am a Christian and a follower of the Lord, but after this Presidential race I am embarrassed to be in the the same class as these hate mongers, right-winged, so called Christians. For years people have said to me there are so many Christians out there that are so hateful and I was so naive back then and stood up for all christians. I have never seen so much hate in emails, videos, letters in the local newspapers, Fox News Network, fellow co-workers, just people all over the USA. I did vote for Obama too. I am a very open minded person and have been told by many people that I look beyond the moment (I see the big picture).

As I studied every news channel, read many news mags, read many books, read emails, letters in the papers, watched every debate, watched both the GOP convention and DEM convention. Watched all the interviews. My husband said I was becoming obsessed with it all. I think the main reason I was so obsessed was, I could not believe how ignorant people were with what they heard or read in emails. And the scary part about it they believed it all.

I am still a follower of the LORD and I still love the LORD and I think everyone who claims to be a Christian should LOVE like their savior did, oh yeah and remember Jesus hung out with the bad guys too,gee did we forget that?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2008 - 3:51PM #9
grandkids
I fit in this group. As long as I can remember I have been telling people I am a Christian a follower of the Lord. Well, I still am a Christian and a follower of the Lord, but after this Presidential race I am embarrassed to be in the the same class as these hate mongers, right-winged, so called Christians. For years people have said to me there are so many Christians out there that are so hateful and I was so naive back then and stood up for all christians. I have never seen so much hate in emails, videos, letters in the local newspapers, Fox News Network, fellow co-workers, just people all over the USA. I did vote for Obama too. I am a very open minded person and have been told by many people that I look beyond the moment (I see the big picture).

As I studied every news channel, read many news mags, read many books, read emails, letters in the papers, watched every debate, watched both the GOP convention and DEM convention. Watched all the interviews. My husband said I was becoming obsessed with it all. I think the main reason I was so obsessed was, I could not believe how ignorant people were with what they heard or read in emails. And the scary part about it they believed it all.

I am still a follower of the LORD and I still love the LORD and I think everyone who claims to be a Christian should LOVE like their savior did, oh yeah and remember Jesus hung out with the bad guys too,gee did we forget that?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2008 - 4:50PM #10
Agnosticspirit
Dear grandkids, the religious right has hi-jacked your religion just as they hi-jacked the Republican party. Moderate voices have been drowned out by the screaming hate-mongers in both religion and politics.

I was once a Republican but the right wing nutters made me feel unwelcome because I'm an atheist. I'm still an atheist but no longer a Republican. I'm still a fiscal conservative but no longer a Republican.  I popped in to let you know that this secular freedom loving love my country chick doesn't place all Christians in the same narrow box as your right wing nutter siblings, OK? I know there are many Liberal Christians, mainstream Christians and progressive Christians who are just as alarmed by the nutters within their faith as I am. 

Keep speaking out and know that not all non-Christians view all of Christianity as one single monolithic block. But keep speaking out and disassociate from your narrow siblings as loudly and vocally as you can.

((( hugs ))))

AS
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook