Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Chief of the Religious Right Tribe
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 11:35AM #1
Mlyons619
The Chief of the Religious Right Tribe

From the Beliefnet article, “The Twelve Tribes of American Politics,

“…{The Religious Right is made up of} highly orthodox white evangelical Protestants; 88% believe the Bible is literally true; 87% report attending worship once a week or more; 44% live in the South.  They are overwhelmingly conservative, with only  25% calling themselves moderate, and only 9% calling themselves liberal… { In the last election,} 88% of the Religious Right voted for Bush, accounting for 26% of his total votes in the election. Just 12% voted for Kerry, making up 4% of his total votes received.

...Compared to other groups, {the Religious Right is} more likely to care about cultural issues (40% compared to 20% nationally); 84% are pro-life and 89% oppose marriage or civil unions for gays; very strong supporters of Israel (64% say the U.S. should back Israel over the Palestinians). Four-fifths claim that religion is important to their political thinking.

...This group strongly supports the political involvement of religious organizations….”

Source:  [http://www.beliefnet.com/story/153/stor … iousright].

So who do you see as the current head of the Religious Right Tribe?

Do you see this individual as head of his political party?  Do his followers dominate his party or do members of this tribe now represent only represent a party minority?

Are there more than one individual vying to be chieftain of this tribe?  Are competitors for head of the Religious Right Tribe only to be found within the ranks of the G.O.P., or are viable contestants represented in other political parties?

Would the Chief of the Religious Right Tribe be a suitable or even a viable Presidential candidate?  What STRENGTHS would he bring to the Presidency, and what WEAKNESSES?   Would he or wouldn’t he be a good President or a good leader for ALL of the Twelve Tribes of American Politics?
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2008 - 3:47PM #2
Do_unto_others
"So who do you see as the current head of the Religious Right Tribe?"

No one. They are too fractional to ever put forth a cohesive theology. (How many splits have there been in the Baptist religion alone?)

"Do you see this individual as head of his political party?"

No. First because "this individual" does not exist. Second because Christ warned us not to mix the two.

"Do his followers dominate his party or do members of this tribe now represent only represent a party minority?"

I don't understand the question, partly because it is predicated on a non-existant entity ("this individual"), and in part because you assume it to be a "him" - "his followers", "his party" - and lastly because the syntax of the question makes it impossible for me to answer.

"Are there more than one individual vying to be chieftain of this tribe?"

You betcha. Let's see, a good list of potential names might include Dobson, Robertson, Perkins, Huckabee, Hagee, Haggart, Swaggart, Hinn, Buchanan, and, if one believed in resurrection of the dead, one would have to include Falwell. (Hey, wait a minute, I'm beginning to see why you referred to this "leader" as a "he" after all. I wonder why there are so few women leaders in the "Christian" "right"??? - Not really. I actually KNOW why not; just messin' with ya.) By no means is this list meant to be construed as anywhere near complete. And ALL of their ideologies are somehow at odds with the others', which is why it doesn't have a hope in Hades of ever have a cohesive theology.

"Are competitors for head of the Religious Right Tribe only to be found within the ranks of the G.O.P., or are viable contestants represented in other political parties?"

Mainly G.O.P. (You DO mean "God's Own Party", no?) The other parties actually seem to take that "freedom of religion" thing seriously.

"Would the Chief of the Religious Right Tribe be a suitable or even a viable Presidential candidate?"

Never. Huckabee serves to illustrate this point. His desire to change the Constitution to make it more in line with his own personal theological beliefs only serves to highlight the inappropriate mixing of God and politics as it would annihilate the "promise" of "freedom of religion" to any and all Americans who hold different beliefs.

"What STRENGTHS would he bring to the Presidency, and what WEAKNESSES?"

Why all this insistance that it would even BE a "he"??? The closest to a "strength" is that enough people mistake 'religiosity' with Christ-centredness, when, as we can see from Huck's, Robertson's, Dobson's etc. self-righteousness that they are far from Christ. Weaknesses? Too numerous to mention, sorry to report.

"Would he or wouldn’t he be a good President or a good leader for ALL of the Twelve Tribes of American Politics?"

Clearly not. 'Believe as I  believe (or as "my tribe" believes) or you're out of the Constitution' is in no way to be misconstrued as "good leadership". Hardly unitive. But then again, the current Divider never seemed to worry too much about that, eh?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 11:11AM #3
BBarton
If it ain't Christ watch out for the cliff.  Pigs don't fly.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 9:25PM #4
Mlyons619
Sorry BBarton, but that just doesn't seem relevant.
            --Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 10:13AM #5
BBarton
[QUOTE=mlyons619;896613]Sorry BBarton, but that just doesn't seem relevant.[/QUOTE]

The only one, the only way to follow is not limited to a man, a time, or a place.

Often the fate to the followers of egoists is like that of the possesed pigs.

You can tell them apart by who is glorified; the Lord, Christ, or their egos.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 3:03PM #6
Mlyons619
Is this what you believe constitutes the WHOLE of the Religious Right?  That they follow their egos instead of Christ?

That may be true of SOME of the arch-conservative tele-evangalists.  I can very easily think of at least three whose doctrine is self-glorification and not Christ.  But I'd hazard to say that can also be true of ANYBODY in religious leadership, right, left, or other, and ego is not limited to just Christianity either...
            --Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 10:15AM #7
amcolph
Follow the money: 

The RR is led (by the nose) by the Council for National Policy.
This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 7:41PM #8
Mlyons619
Really?  Then obviously this is not the tribe for you.

Which tribe would you feel is your best fit?
            --Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 7:41PM #9
Mlyons619
Really?  Then obviously this is not the tribe for you.

Which tribe would you feel is your best fit?
            --Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2008 - 6:15PM #10
BBarton
[QUOTE=mlyons619;897870]Is this what you believe constitutes the WHOLE of the Religious Right?  That they follow their egos instead of Christ?

That may be true of SOME of the arch-conservative tele-evangalists.  I can very easily think of at least three whose doctrine is self-glorification and not Christ.  But I'd hazard to say that can also be true of ANYBODY in religious leadership, right, left, or other, and ego is not limited to just Christianity either...[/QUOTE]

Not the whole but as a whole.  It was the disregard for the way of Christ and the excitement to follow the Neocon propaganda after their successful if but temporal takeover of the GOP that brought the Pied Piper story to light.

I trust nothing can take us from the palm of the Lord and from ways of righteousness for good and have confidence they'll return to the fold; afterall, we can't serve two masters.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook