Switch to Forum Live View White Bread Protestants
6 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2008 - 4:44PM #1
Mlyons619

White Bread Protestants

Percent of voting-age population: 8.0%

Who are they: The core members of the Protestant "mainline" churches-- United Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church in the USA, American Episcopal Church, United Church of Christ, and so forth--that once dominated the American religious landscape. About one-quarter report regular church attendance and just 19% are biblical literalists; 47% agree that "all the world's great religious are equally true and good."

Ideology: Conservative: 37%, Moderate: 43%, Liberal: 20%

Party: Republican: 46%, Independent: 21%, Democratic: 33%

Political trend: This group is shrinking in size and becoming more politically moderate and less Republican, though Bush still won them in 2000.

What they care about: They don't much like the Republican Party's emphasis on conservative social issues: they're pro-choice and favor civil unions or same-sex marriage. But what they care most about is economics--half give priority to economic matters--and there they tend to be more conservative.

White Bread Protestants in said that foreign policy and the economy were the issues they found most important.

Does this describe you?
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2008 - 6:18PM #2
Agnosticspirit

mlyons619 wrote:

What they care about: They don't much like the Republican Party's emphasis on conservative social issues: they're pro-choice and favor civil unions or same-sex marriage. But what they care most about is economics--half give priority to economic matters--and there they tend to be more conservative.

White Bread Protestants in said that foreign policy and the economy were the issues they found most important.

Does this describe you?

Howdy mylons, I'm not a Protestant and I prefer whole-grain bread over white, but I agree with their social values and economic/foreign policy concerns -  which makes me a whole-grain Secular Humanist white bread Protestant sympathizer, lol.....  :D Hence, I went ahead and voted YES!

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook