Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Do You Think About Huckobee ??
7 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2007 - 10:51PM #11
Atrus89
LittleBuhhda,

"The only reason politics come into it at all is because people (esp. the "religious right") see fit to deny us basic human rights which are guaranteed to us under the constitution."

Once more, liberal "rights talk" tarnishes our ability to conduct any serious moral discussion under a sea of emotional reaction. Honestly, ever since the Supreme Court twisted a right to murder children out of the Due Process clause, it has become farily clear that anything and everything can be defended as a "right." Could you please appeal to a clearer standard, that we may proceed from there?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 10:17AM #12
LittleBuddha73
[QUOTE=Atrus89;128302]LittleBuhhda,

"The only reason politics come into it at all is because people (esp. the "religious right") see fit to deny us basic human rights which are guaranteed to us under the constitution."

Once more, liberal "rights talk" tarnishes our ability to conduct any serious moral discussion under a sea of emotional reaction. Honestly, ever since the Supreme Court twisted a right to murder children out of the Due Process clause, it has become farily clear that anything and everything can be defended as a "right." Could you please appeal to a clearer standard, that we may proceed from there?[/QUOTE]

Interesting that you should note the emotional reaction. As I understand my constitutional rights, the main point is that everyone is equally entitled to the pursuit of happiness. So when I am denied the "right" to marry my girlfriend, I am denied the pursuit of happiness. There simply is no other way of looking at it, because a huge part of my happiness, like that of most people I think, is to find someone to spend my life with in happiness.
Since we have not interacted before, I will tell you that I could honestly care less what we choose to call it - civil unions, marriage, etc. - in the religious or spiritual sense. Churches can do as they please. And if I didn't think that in a civil sense calling gay marriage a civil union would create a separate but equal condition, I'd be OK with that too. But we all know how well that worked for the civil rights movement.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2007 - 10:00AM #13
LittleBuddha73
New quotes from Huckabee surface....no women in combat anywhere....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2007 - 12:50PM #14
JohnQ

Atrus89 wrote:

JohnQ,

"Regardless, I can not support a candidate who wants to write prejudice, discrimination, and bigotry into the constitution of the USA in the form of an amendment."

When the homosexual brings his morality into politics, it is to be praised and lauded as heroic and modern; when the fundamentalist brings his morality into politics, it is met with howls of anger as something bigotous and evil. Funny thing is, only the former lies to itself by professing religious pluralism while imposing the state religion.

First, "the homosexual"  when referring to straight people....do you write "the heterosexual"?  lgbt people are not objects.

Second, I am not in anyway questioning his right to his pov.  In fact, I have more respect for Huckabee becuase I believe he does state his pov honestly....than I do for Romney and Giuliani who seem to change theirs based on their audience.  Do not misunderstand, I have respect for people who change their pov....just not when it bounces back and forth to better suit their needs at the time.

Third, denying a minority equal-rights is indeed prejudice, discrimination, and bigotry.  Calling it what it is....is honesty.

Peace!

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2007 - 12:55PM #15
JohnQ

LittleBuddha73 wrote:

New quotes from Huckabee surface....no women in combat anywhere....

So now you are going to pick on him because women are not equal to men?

First you take exception to his wanting to continue to discrimination against lgbt people......and now, you have a problem just because it appears that he wants to also perpetuate discrimination against females?

What, you expect that the pres of the USA should represent all our citizens? 
Where will it end?  When will you be happy?

Peace!

Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2007 - 1:16PM #16
LittleBuddha73
[QUOTE=JohnQ;134223]So now you are going to pick on him because women are not equal to men?

First you take exception to his wanting to continue to discrimination against lgbt people......and now, you have a problem just because it appears that he wants to also perpetuate discrimination against females?

What, you expect that the pres of the USA should represent all our citizens? 
Where will it end?  When will you be happy?

Peace![/QUOTE]

I know. I should be punished or expelled to another country for even thinking such things. I guess I'll never learn and I'll never be happy.
(Until I'm treated, constitutionally, as the citizen of the United States that I am, of course.)    ;-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2007 - 10:01AM #17
AintKatie
When the homosexual brings his morality into politics, it is to be praised and lauded as heroic and modern; when the fundamentalist brings his morality into politics, it is met with howls of anger as something bigotous and evil. Funny thing is, only the former lies to itself by professing religious pluralism while imposing the state religion.

I wonder what you mean by "homosexual morality."  I've known a few homosexuals in my life, male and female, and I'm pretty sure their morality is the same as the heterosexuals in my life. Some folks have much the same values as I, and some do not. The differences are individual, not gender-based or sexual-preference based. So, according to my definition, if a homosexual brings his or her "morality" into public life, it's going to be the same as the heterosexual's morality.

Why would you perceive a homosexual entering politics as "heroic or modern" and a heterosexual (in your example, a fundamentalist Christian) as the opposite? I don't get that at all.

Further, you imply that a homosexual entering politics is going to say they are for pluralism but secretly work to install "the state religion." What in the world is that about? Don't you realize there are homosexuals in the Republican Party? Conservative homosexuals? Maybe not openly homosexual fundamentalist Christians, but closeted ones, too. Do you REALLY think all homosexuals are Democrats or Liberals..and none of them are Christians?

And what IS the state religion? From what I've seen, if there is anything even remotely close to a state religion, it would be Protestant Christianity. I, for one, would like to see NO religious references in govt. But if there is an insistence on those references, I demand that ALL belief-systems be represented, not just one.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2007 - 9:18PM #18
DoorNumber3
I personally don’t care what a candidate’s religion is as long he doesn’t make political decisions based on his religious beliefs. Ideally a politician should be as religiously neutral as is humanly possible since America has such a varied religious make up. I don’t think Mr. Huckabee is capable of doing that or even getting anywhere close. I think all of his political decisions are run through his God filter. I don’t think he will be able to make decisions to benefit all Americans but fear he will only be concerned about those who share his god beliefs.

Do people who support Huckabee only support him because of what he says about God?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2007 - 10:27PM #19
LittleBuddha73
[QUOTE=DoorNumber3;146782]Do people who support Huckabee only support him because of what he says about God?
[/QUOTE]

There certainly has been a struggle regarding who the conservative Christians/religious right will choose as their candidate, and it's looking more and more like Huckabee. So while no one can say for sure, imo, yes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2007 - 10:57AM #20
PurpleKU77
I don't think that ANY religious thinking belongs in secular politics. To see examples of the opposite, look at Iran. If you want America ruled by the clergy, then you would have Iran. The other thing is, Catholics are the "majority" in America, because there are more of them than any other single denomination. Would all the Pentecostals, Southern Baptists, United Methodists, etc really like it if The Pope Ruled America? Would Catholics like it if the Southern Baptist Mission Board replaced Congress? What if a Jew were elected President, and then used the military to overthrow Congress, and put the High Rabbinic Council in its place? Would all the Christians conspire to overthrow the "Christ killers?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook