Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The latest: Global warming.
7 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2007 - 9:50PM #1
rdclmn7
After seeing yet another program on the science channel, something strange happened, I finally heard enough to make a decision on whether it was real or not...I ended up re-routing cords, resetting power settings...
The point is that in spite of the efforts of many in both the media and the scientific community, there is a good amount of scepticism to be had.
Not something to worry about, its just human nature.
With the passage of time, more people will see enough evidence, will then come around, will do some re-routing, etc.
You never want to lose faith in humanity, cooler heads usually prevail.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2007 - 12:14PM #2
Stardove
U.N. Report Describes Risks of Inaction on Climate Change

I spotted the on the Google News page a little while ago. From link:

VALENCIA, Spain, Nov. 17 — United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon called climate change “the defining challenge of our age” today and called on the United States and China, the greatest emitters of greenhouse gases, to be play “a more constructive role” in coming negotiations for a new global climate treaty.
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 2:44AM #3
Piobair_Paganach

With the passage of time, more people will see enough evidence, will then come around, will do some re-routing, etc...

No they won't; not in sufficient numbers to matter. As you observed; denial is human nature. Anyway, it's too late. We're no more likely to immediately cut global greenhouse gas emissions by 85% than we are to invent time travel.

Despite the voluminous posts of some of the august experts who monopolize these boards, the overwhelming consensus of the global scientific community is that the existence of anthropomorphic global warming is “unequivocal”; why is this posted under “Conspiracies and Theories”?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 7:50PM #4
Bodean
In sufficient time, man made Global Warming will be debunked!!!

Astrophysics is catching up to the CO2 guys, and are predicting a major cool down.  By 2012, this cool down will be well on its way, and the poltiically driven AGW crowd will have to pay homage to the real scientist!!

If the "cooler heads" can hold off the rabid political dogs long enough to allow the truth to emerge, then you are absolutely right ..... the crowds WILL see the truth.

But it aint gonna be the AGW perspective that they will run to!!

BTW .. stardove ... the IPCC is about the most uncredible source you can rely on to take your cues regarding climate change!!

As John Christy put it (the guy running the Satelite Observation of Climate, and a highly respected climate scientist as well as author of the IPCC) ... in a converstation he over heard while working on the IPCC document,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7081331.stm

"At an IPCC Lead Authors' meeting in New Zealand, I well remember a conversation over lunch with three Europeans, unknown to me but who served as authors on other chapters. I sat at their table because it was convenient.

After introducing myself, I sat in silence as their discussion continued, which boiled down to this: "We must write this report so strongly that it will convince the US to sign the Kyoto Protocol."

Hardly credible science .. wouldn't you agree??
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 8:07PM #5
Stardove
Hi Bodean, you'll get no argument here. I had just happened to see the news article shortly before reading this thread.

Are the ice caps melting. I do believe they are. The proof is in the pictures. Is this a natural cycle or something humans have help to create? I truly don't know.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 8:32PM #6
Bodean
[QUOTE=stardove;81473]Hi Bodean, you'll get no argument here. I had just happened to see the news article shortly before reading this thread.

Are the ice caps melting. I do believe they are. The proof is in the pictures. Is this a natural cycle or something humans have help to create? I truly don't know.[/QUOTE]

Stardove .....

The whole scenario lacks balance.

Yes .. "some" ice caps are melting ... but others are growing. (but you'll never see the pictures of the growing ones).

I think the ultimate example is Antarctica.  You'll see lots and lots of video footage showing that ice shelf falling off, and the decrease in ice on the Pacific side ..... you'll hear crickets if you wait to hear the news or see pictures of the massive ice growth on the Atlantic side.

I like the "permafrost" issue.  What do you hear .. the permafrost is melting.  What do you not hear ... that Alaskan weather is dominated by ENSO ... and that La Ninas, due to a natural cycle, were non-existent in the run up in temperature during the 80s and 90s.  La Nina conditions are what maintain the permafrost.  La Ninas are back ... and the temp hasn't gone up at all since then, outside of spikes completely due to El Ninos, which will become smaller and less frequent between now and 2020.

:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 7:50PM #7
Bodean
In sufficient time, man made Global Warming will be debunked!!!

Astrophysics is catching up to the CO2 guys, and are predicting a major cool down.  By 2012, this cool down will be well on its way, and the poltiically driven AGW crowd will have to pay homage to the real scientist!!

If the "cooler heads" can hold off the rabid political dogs long enough to allow the truth to emerge, then you are absolutely right ..... the crowds WILL see the truth.

But it aint gonna be the AGW perspective that they will run to!!

BTW .. stardove ... the IPCC is about the most uncredible source you can rely on to take your cues regarding climate change!!

As John Christy put it (the guy running the Satelite Observation of Climate, and a highly respected climate scientist as well as author of the IPCC) ... in a converstation he over heard while working on the IPCC document,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7081331.stm

"At an IPCC Lead Authors' meeting in New Zealand, I well remember a conversation over lunch with three Europeans, unknown to me but who served as authors on other chapters. I sat at their table because it was convenient.

After introducing myself, I sat in silence as their discussion continued, which boiled down to this: "We must write this report so strongly that it will convince the US to sign the Kyoto Protocol."

Hardly credible science .. wouldn't you agree??
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 8:07PM #8
Stardove
Hi Bodean, you'll get no argument here. I had just happened to see the news article shortly before reading this thread.

Are the ice caps melting. I do believe they are. The proof is in the pictures. Is this a natural cycle or something humans have help to create? I truly don't know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 8:32PM #9
Bodean
[QUOTE=stardove;81473]Hi Bodean, you'll get no argument here. I had just happened to see the news article shortly before reading this thread.

Are the ice caps melting. I do believe they are. The proof is in the pictures. Is this a natural cycle or something humans have help to create? I truly don't know.[/QUOTE]

Stardove .....

The whole scenario lacks balance.

Yes .. "some" ice caps are melting ... but others are growing. (but you'll never see the pictures of the growing ones).

I think the ultimate example is Antarctica.  You'll see lots and lots of video footage showing that ice shelf falling off, and the decrease in ice on the Pacific side ..... you'll hear crickets if you wait to hear the news or see pictures of the massive ice growth on the Atlantic side.

I like the "permafrost" issue.  What do you hear .. the permafrost is melting.  What do you not hear ... that Alaskan weather is dominated by ENSO ... and that La Ninas, due to a natural cycle, were non-existent in the run up in temperature during the 80s and 90s.  La Nina conditions are what maintain the permafrost.  La Ninas are back ... and the temp hasn't gone up at all since then, outside of spikes completely due to El Ninos, which will become smaller and less frequent between now and 2020.

:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 11:54AM #10
claret1995
[QUOTE=Piobair_Paganach;77650]No they won't; not in sufficient numbers to matter. As you observed; denial is human nature. Anyway, it's too late. We're no more likely to immediately cut global greenhouse gas emissions by 85% than we are to invent time travel.

Despite the voluminous posts of some of the august experts who monopolize these boards, the overwhelming consensus of the global scientific community is that the existence of anthropomorphic global warming is “unequivocal”; why is this posted under “Conspiracies and Theories”?[/QUOTE]

because the idea of man made global warming is a JOKE,and some have completely eaten the bait
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook