Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "In God We Trust" Removed?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 11:01PM #1
JudeVerse3
You may have heard in the news that a couple of Post Offices in Texas have
been forced to take down small posters that say "IN GOD WE TRUST," The law,
they say, is being violated.
Anyway, I heard proposed on a radio station show, that we should all write
"IN GOD WE TRUST" on the back of all our mail. After all, that is our
national motto and it's on all the money we use to buy those stamps. I think
it is a wonderful idea.
We must take back our nation from all the people who think that anything
that offends them should be removed.
If you like this idea, please pass it on and DO IT.

The idea of writing or stamping "IN GOD WE TRUST" on our envelopes sounds good to me. I'M HAVING MY
STAMP MADE TODAY! It has been reported that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore, I have
a very hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God
We Trust" on our money and having God in the pledge of Allegiance.

Could it be that WE just need to take action and tell the 14% to "sit down
and shut up"?

I'm contacting Jay Sekulow at the ACLJ to see if they can fight this (if they aren't already).

Please copy and paste this and mail to all your friends and associates. Thank you.

IN GOD WE TRUST
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 11:26PM #2
wontgetfooledagain

JudeVerse3 wrote:

and shut up"?

Aww come on now.... was that really 'Christian' of you to say that? ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 11:31PM #3
AmaraS
[QUOTE=JudeVerse3;50265]You may have heard in the news that a couple of Post Offices in Texas have
been forced to take down small posters that say "IN GOD WE TRUST," The law,
they say, is being violated.
Anyway, I heard proposed on a radio station show, that we should all write
"IN GOD WE TRUST" on the back of all our mail. After all, that is our
national motto and it's on all the money we use to buy those stamps. I think
it is a wonderful idea.
We must take back our nation from all the people who think that anything
that offends them should be removed.
If you like this idea, please pass it on and DO IT.

The idea of writing or stamping "IN GOD WE TRUST" on our envelopes sounds good to me. I'M HAVING MY
STAMP MADE TODAY! It has been reported that 86% of Americans believe in God. Therefore, I have
a very hard time understanding why there is such a mess about having "In God
We Trust" on our money and having God in the pledge of Allegiance.

and shut up"?

I'm contacting Jay Sekulow at the ACLJ to see if they can fight this (if they aren't already).

Please copy and paste this and mail to all your friends and associates. Thank you.

IN GOD WE TRUST[/QUOTE]

You know what?  I totally support your idea.  Go for it.  Stamp all your mail that way.

Nothing I would say or do to stop you.

However, any statement regarding faith does not belong posted on the wall of a government facility.

Period.

This is not a Christian country.  Maybe 86 percent of Americans confess to believing in "God"...but that doesn't mean the government has any right to endorse that belief.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 12:31AM #4
davelaw40
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/motto.htm
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]In November 2002, a United States Postal Service (USPS) supervisor ordered the removal of these posters from the lobbies of government-owned post offices in several Montgomery county towns (including Montgomery, Dobbin, and Willis) because they "did not fit within postal guidelines," citing a USPS regulation prohibiting the "depositing or posting of handbills, flyers, pamphlets, signs, posters, placards, or other literature (except official postal and other governmental notices and announcements) in interior public areas on postal premises." (A small post office north of Houston was allowed to keep its poster on display after a supervisor determined that the office was a privately-run contract facility and was therefore not subject to the same "facility standards" as government-owned post offices.) [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]The United States' use of a national motto with a religious reference despite the First Amendment's prohibition against Congress' making any "law respecting an establishment of religion" remains a contentious issue. "In God We Trust" was established as the national motto of the United States through a law (36 U.S.C. Section 186) passed by Congress in 1956, and two federal statutes require its use on all U.S. coins and currency.  Three federal appeals courts have heard cases (most recently in 1996) challenging the constitutionality of the mandated appearance of "In God We Trust" on coinage and currency, but all these cases have so far been unsuccessful. (The United States Supreme Court has not yet decided a case challenging the constitutionality of the national motto.) The precedent remains the ruling handed down by the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in 1970, that "It is quite obvious that the national motto and the slogan on coinage and currency, 'In God We Trust', has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion. Its use is of a patriotic or ceremonial character and bears no true resemblance to a governmental sponsorship of a religious exercise." [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]Last updated:   22 December 2002 [/FONT]
Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 11:14AM #5
Do_unto_others
YOU go ahead and mark up your mail anyway you want. However, the gubmint has NO business requiring it of all citizens, some (14%?) of whom may find it abhorrent.

"Could it be that WE just need to take action and tell the 14% to "sit down and shut up"?

Um, would that be the "christian" thing to do? Sure seems so in America nowadays. 'The heck with what you other folks think, we're in the majority so that makes us right' kind of thing.

God help America.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2007 - 11:22AM #6
hortonthrockmorton
[QUOTE=davelaw40;50406][FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/motto.htm
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Bookman Old Style,Arial]In November 2002, a United States Postal Service (USPS) supervisor ordered the removal of these posters from the lobbies of government-owned post offices in several Montgomery county towns (including Montgomery, Dobbin, and Willis) because they "did not fit within postal guidelines," citing a USPS regulation prohibiting the "depositing or posting of handbills, flyers, pamphlets, signs, posters, placards, or other literature (except official postal and other governmental notices and announcements) in interior public areas on postal premises." (A small post office north of Houston was allowed to keep its poster on display after a supervisor determined that the office was a privately-run contract facility and was therefore not subject to the same "facility standards" as government-owned post offices.) [/FONT]

[/QUOTE]

The lesson here:  Don't be so quick to jump onto unsubstantiated email bandwagons.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 6:29AM #7
sydneymoon
"Could it be that WE just need to take action and tell the 14% to "sit down and shut up"?

Please understand the separation of church and state enables you to worship at any church, mosque or temple of your choosing. It allows religion to flourish. It protects minority rights. That is a vital concept to remember.

I am free to worship (or not) because of the separation of church and state. You are as well.

I do think people need to pick their battles. I admit I roll my eyes at times.
However, these posters do not contain any historical significance worth preserving.

peace,

sydney
Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 2:06PM #8
kannbrown65
And remember exactly what the courts said, and that you can't have it both ways.

Either 'In God we Trust' is a heartfelt national expression of national devotion to a particular deity.. Something that is at least worth fighting for, but also contrary to the separation of Church and State, as it declares that the State (the nation) has an official belief. (Which, in all practicality, it can't be. Plastering it on a coin, or a wall won't make it true for the entire nation.)

OR.. (As the courts stated), you are getting all upset over a phrase that is something that..

"has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion. Its use is of a patriotic or ceremonial character"

Which is what A. rote repetition, and B. Government espousal DOES to religion. Transforms individual, personal, and meaningful expressions into ceremonial, kneejerk twaddle that has, and this is what SCOTUS ruled, no 'religious nature whatsoever'. 

Basically, it is allowed because it doesn't really mean anything. It is more an expression of faith in the COUNTRY, than faith in God, and that expression is purely 'ceremonial', with no real religious significance whatsoever.

But if that's what you want your 'trust in God' reduced to, just so it can be plastered on letters and walls of government bureaucrats...

Knock yourselves out.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 2:17PM #9
Sacrificialgoddess
[COLOR="Black"]I don't find In God We Trust to be the least bit expressive of Patriotism and more expressive of the fear filled 50s.  That was a nasty decade and the faster we chuck all reminders of it, the better.[/COLOR]
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2007 - 2:19PM #10
hortonthrockmorton
[QUOTE=sacrificialgoddess;56900][COLOR="Black"]I don't find In God We Trust to be the least bit expressive of Patriotism and more expressive of the fear filled 50s.  That was a nasty decade and the faster we chuck all reminders of it, the better.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Except for Rock 'n roll and beebop jazz
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook