7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 12:51AM #1
Piobair_Paganach
Out of an Iraqi population of 21 million, 1.2 million of them may have been killed and another 6.5 million made refugees since 2003 (Toronto Star, 11/4/07).

In the U.S., with its population of 300,000,000, that would equate to more than 15,000,000 killed and 60,000,000 displaced by the unprovoked attack, invasion, and military occupation of a foreign aggressor.

Under such circumstances, which of us wouldn't be an insurgent?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 1:44AM #2
habesor
Piobair, you wrote:

"Under such circumstances, which of us wouldn't be an insurgent?"

Some of the "insurgents" have blown up Shiite mosques, Iraqi open markets and other public gathering places killing tens of  thousands of Iraqi civilians. How are such actions, in the eyes of the insurgents, a response to the American invasion?
Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 1:14PM #3
rangerken
They are not, habesor. These are just examples of barbarians being barbaric. Remember, savages tend to act savagely so we should not be surprised when they do so.

Piobair, I suspect we would not be killing each other, much less blowing up school children or publically beheading prisoners and bragging about it like the Islamist terrorists do.

In other words, although I'm sure you had the best of intentions, the analogy dosn't work becauseyou are comparing civilized people to dark ages wannabe fanatics.

Ken
Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 1:55PM #4
rabello
I am not so trusting of Americans these days.   You can't even drive on a freeway without worrying about getting attacked or even killed over a simple human error while driving because of road rage; same is true when standing in long lines at the supermarket.  I shudder to think what would happen if Americans lost their jobs, their money, their homes, their air conditioning, their police and ambulance services, their bottled water, their cell phone service, their blackberry service, their blue tooth bodily attachments, their i-pods, their tv shows and movies (and anything else I omitted).

I think we would certainly turn on each other, but I do wonder which group we'd turn on first.  Could be "the illegals" before "the Muslims" altho not necessarily.  Could be "the blacks" since they are believed to already be a "drain" on our so-called "merit based" society.   Maybe gays, since many of them are more upwardly mobile than the rest of us.    It's a toss-up.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 8:05PM #5
Mlyons619
[QUOTE=rabello;48837]I am not so trusting of Americans these days.   You can't even drive on a freeway without worrying about getting attacked or even killed over a simple human error while driving because of road rage; same is true when standing in long lines at the supermarket.... It's a toss-up.[/QUOTE]

Come on, Rabello!  Are you comparing what happens HERE to what Shiites and Sunnis are doing over there?!?  That's like comparing  a fender-bender at Wal-Mart with a hundred-car smashup on the I-10!  Get real!
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook