Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Switch to Forum Live View On hosting and posting
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 4:57PM #91
DAH54

agnosticspirit wrote:

Char, I had planned to email you about this thread, as your last post instructs but the option to send you an email doesn't exist in your profile. By locking the thread, how can anyone comment on it in a way that will relate it to WNP?

Click on her user name and you will see an option to email her. This will however reveal your real email address to her...

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 6:20PM #92
DAH54

CharikIeia wrote:

Hmm, yes, agnostic,
the e-mail is an issue. I just tried to activate the 'via profile' version, but to no avail.
Maybe it will work with some delay, I had troubles with profile updating before.

As an alternative, why not post away here (if you like and consider it apposite)?

I would respectfully like to suggest that you email AgnosticSpirit from her home page. This will do what she wishes.

- -

CharikIeia wrote:

Re: SST -- thanks for filling me in, DAH!

What on Wicca chat may require a special addendum, I here take for granted.

I hope you understand that there was a reason why the SST was created. Because you take it for granted does not mean that it is in violation of the RoC or that it is actionable...

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 6:28PM #93
DAH54

agnosticspirit wrote:

Hi DAH, how are you, good to see you! :)

Why thank you! Always nice to read you even if I can't see you...

agnosticspirit wrote:

Thanks but I didn't want to use that option. I've only shared my real email address with very few folk here on Bnet and I plan to keep it that way. I prefer my illusion of privacy, however illusory that is.... ;)

Yes LOL I remember, as one of the ones who you are unwilling to share with, :o Just stirring the pot in my own way....

Sorry couldn't not acknowledge my friend, even if I'm guilty of a RoC violation...

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 6:40PM #94
DAH54

CharikIeia wrote:

It works now, it seems. I am available sans privacy issues.

Sure.
How do you propose to manage hit and run threads?

I am sorry I fail to see how I can comment on this without commenting on a host actions.

Perhaps you would care to share just what RoC it is in violation of?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 7:33PM #95
DAH54

CharikIeia wrote:

I don't want to force you to do anything you consider unethical or unlawful, DAH :)

I'm all to willing to share my thoughts and cross the line in sharing them...:o

CharikIeia wrote:

The typical hit and run threads here are either chain mail spams, solicitation for some private websites, or long quotes without further contribution from some news source.

All of these are directly actionable and in violation of the RoC.

CharikIeia wrote:

This case (the 'Burn the Saudi flag' thread) lies a bit different, as it seems to be completely fictional,

Do you intend to tell me that no Saudi has burn an American flag?  I'm sorry I can not accept that. Perhaps no one has today, or even this month. I do not believe that is a requirement, to post here.

CharikIeia wrote:

ill-formulated with regards to what the aims are -- venting steam and asking a rhetoric question by a contributor not likely to return here.

All of this maybe very true, none of it in my opinion is actionable. That thread got me here, LOL not that there is any real value in that either, the fact remains as I read the RoC that one does not need to be a great speller to post here, to be able to express a thought in a well formulated way. Nor is it an actionable offense to post a topic and never return to it. Never defend it.

My experience is they quickly scroll off the main page to seldom return.

My understanding is everyone is welcome to post at Beliefnet, not just the members who are talented enough to post a thread that will generate a hundred post to it in a week. {Shrug} People learn by doing.... No one wants to feel unwelcomed or attacked....

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 8:31PM #96
DAH54

CharikIeia wrote:

Thanks for that :) it's really appreciated.

LOL, no, certainly not -- how did you read that into my post?

CharikIeia wrote:

This case (the 'Burn the Saudi flag' thread) lies a bit different, as it seems to be completely fictional,

Part of what I heard (in the first post of Burn the Saudi flag thread) was they had burned our flag and like children we should burn theirs. Presumably under the theory two wrongs cancel each other out, rather than doubling the amount of hurt in the world.  Then you stated it was completely fictional the implied meaning to me is the American flag was never burned. I've seen too many images of my flag burning to accept that truth. The last time I caught the news I saw our flag burning, by the way... It's far too common, and acceptable IMHO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2008 - 5:44AM #97
DAH54
I'm curious, as I've never had the pleasure of being in your country. Is it legal in your country to burn your flag as a sign of displeasure with your government? I can honestly say I don't ever recall seeing your flag being burned. In contrast I've seen images of my own country's flag being burn for the last forty years, all the way back to the war in Vietnam. It's not something I've kept a list of, but over the years I would be surprised if on average I haven't seen my flag burned monthly if not more likely weekly. It's so common it is a non event.

It is our time to elect a new president, and there are those who are waving the flag and attempting to stir up patriotism. There are those who wish us to think of what it actually means to be an American. I am sure there are many Americans who see the flag as nothing more than a piece of cloth, as has been expressed here. I'm just as sure there are many American who see it as a symbol, and far more important than just a piece of cloth, as something worth dying for.

I have no idea how old you are, I have no idea what is permitted on your television. How often it would seem worthy of broadcasting in your country that Americans aren't liked by this fraction or that fraction. For many here we've seen these kinds of images so often that they simply no longer register when we see them again, it's become a non event for us, an accepted way of showing displeasure.

Perhaps you are aware of the British couple that got arrested for having sex on the beach? Perhaps that is more relevant to you? I think for many Americans my age there is a feeling we shouldn't need to explain much of this, if one has watched the news at all over the last forty years you've seen our flag being burned, that it would be hard to have not seen it, not experience it. It is part of being an American, of being shown how we are not liked or respected in the rest of the world, weekly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2008 - 2:28PM #98
DAH54

CharikIeia wrote:

Hello DAH!

Hello CharikIeia!

CharikIeia wrote:

Depends on what you call "my country". Posting as a German by birth and nationality, I just found out that the German flag seems to be "protected by law" - you can end up for up to three years in prison for defaming national symbols (§ 90a StGB).

So as a German do you think this is common? Are there many laws that you are unaware of? And would, should that be taken as a sign that Germans are polite?

CharikIeia wrote:

Both flags have been burnt in the past, worldwide -- recently in Afghanistan, for instance.
I am not surprised that you did not hear or read about it :)

Why?

CharikIeia wrote:

Such news are typically summarily reported under minor events (unless, of course, they are exceptional in size, place or whatever else). And as a minor event, they don't get much attention to details (e.g., flag burning isn't mentioned, they just say that an anti-American demonstration took place).

I am use to seeing video of any event that is reported. And agreed that general they don't announce that our flag was burned, however the video shows images of the flag or flags burning...

CharikIeia wrote:

There are no restrictions in terms of "what is permitted" concerning such reports, but like in the USA, the selection is made by the news people, and their blind spots and biases determine what we all see.

There are restrictions in the USA on just what can and can not be displayed, both legally, and also what the advertisers will permit, within the USA.

CharikIeia wrote:

I did not know about this, but it is common knowledge in Europe (confirmed by almost every US visitors' experience) that the US version of freedom is very special, to say the least.

Really? While I'm not a world traveler by any stretch of the imagination, my guess is our freedoms are not really that different. I've lived outside of the US for a time, and found it very enjoyable. Never felt that my freedoms where infringed on in any way.

CharikIeia wrote:

Maybe, but if somebody posts here in the w'wide news & politics forum, it is expedient NOT to assume that everyone reading or posting here is a US citizen.

I don't believe I assume anywhere that everyone is a US citizen, perhaps I am guilty of assuming that Europeans have access to the same quality of news as I do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 5:26PM #99
CharikIeia

The thread titled "The Destruction of a Modern Arab Civilization"
was moved to the Middle East forum.

Follow it by clicking HERE.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 5:08PM #100
CharikIeia

The thread titled "PR: Prophet Claims God Has Responded to Crisis in Japan" was moved to the Hot Topics Zone. It did not contain a worldwide news item that would belong in this forum, but domestic US News from Boulder / Colorado.

You can follow the thread here.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook