Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome to the Environmental Issues Board
7 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2007 - 12:05AM #1
Marysara722
Welcome to the Environmental Issues board where the "Environment" and its related "Issues" are a "Global" concern to all & everything that lives, flies, swims, hops, jumps, creeps and crawls on this beautiful Planet Earth. :)

Please take a moment to introduce yourself on this thread, and by giving us a brief "Mission Statement" so to speak of your # 1 main environmental concern :( or "pet" environmental peeve :mad:, (whichever you prefer) and then create a new thread to get the B-net Thread Bus going here on our newly remodeled B-net home.

Thanks, enjoy our new digs, and navigating around the "new" Beliefnet Land.
MSara
Beliefnet Community Host
Environment Issues Host

;)
P.S. Guess one bit of my intro obviously doesn
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2007 - 3:11AM #2
CharikIeia
Hi -- I'm Chari...

... from Berlin, who now lives in that small Dutch university town nobody knows of. When I was a teenie, the only real topic we had to care about in West Germany / West Berlin was the ecology and pending nuke doom -- the rest worked quite smoothly. So, as a student I logically joined our local Greenpeace group. My main work in the late 1980s and early 1990s was on traffic reduction in the Berlin city centre, by various means from speed limits to car sharing initiatives. BUT I also had some activist streaks in that time -- e.g., was arrested by Belgian police for blocking the entrance of NATO headquarters, and such things.

I'm a hypocrite, though. While I don't use cars (don't even have a driving license), nowadays I travel several times a year by plane, for job reasons. It would be a breakthrough if we could one day decouple human interaction from degradation of our planet. As a species, we should be smart enough, shouldn't we?
tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2007 - 8:57AM #3
robinhood
Hi Chari and MSara,
    Yes, I think we should be smart enough.  I used to think I might be a hypocrite, too, but then I realized that the people with all that power and authority just aren't trying hard enough. 
     I've taken to riding my bicycle, myself, and have found banks that are helping to transform society.  HSBC itself has a windpower commitment.  Here in the States there is a bank that invests in small businesses and provides eco-consulting as policy.  Then there's the Cooperative Bank, and the Bank owned by labor unions: ShoreBank Pacific, NCB, and Amalgamated, respectively.
     Well, as you can see, I'm not taking life lying down.  While I grew up in New York, it's because my Dad took his interest in Karl Marx all the way to the UN.  I've taken his interest all the way through studying Biology and Anthropology in Cambridge, MA to Africa, to social services, to membership in a local food cooperative, and more.
     Buddhism and yoga, Kung Fu and Capoeira, all these spiritual practices and texts have found their fulfillment in me through activism and art. 
     I'm in a Master's Program now, and stirring up the complacency and distractions to put it all in focus.  Corporations are causing the problems, green cooperatives can solve them.  In one class they keep talking about Human Rights, and the trend now is to probe deeper into Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights.  Guess what that means?  I'm glad to already be immersed in learning about Cooperatives and the Democratic Economy.  Germany, I know, has been advanced in some ways for a long time.  I think they have the opportunity to take it further and even to become world leaders in Europe if they wanted.  France's largest bank is a cooperative, Credit Agricole, and on and on.  Enough meditation, already.  It's time to save the planet. 
      Well, meditation is part of that.  So is prayer.  I have to give all my spiritual practices lots of credit, since transforming fear into clarity is a process, of course.  More on that later.  Tchau for now, and God bless your green soul.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2007 - 9:36PM #4
Bodean
Well ... hello fellow Environment people.

Let me introduce myself.  I am a professor at a US University, and have a Masters in Toxicology and a Doctorate in Pharmacology.  I've been involved in numerous studies and reviews associated with the EPA concerned directly with protecting our environment, with a focus on impact of toxic chemcials on environmental mediums and I have been involved in several Superfund Site cleanup projects.  I've also been extensively involved in projects assessing the health impacts of UV light on skin, and elucidating the initiation/promotion process of human skin and animal skin models.

On the board, I tend to be a bit of a contrarian.  Anecdotal evidence, such as polar bears drowning, or even the temperature rising, do not suffice as evidence of a cause, only an obervation.  Science is limited by its level of progression, as such, our conclusions can only be as valid as our understanding and level of advancement.  As all to often happens, what is accepted as dogma, is usually disproven with further scientific enlightenment.

Forgive me if I come across as cold.  Science, and hence, most environmental issues, do not involve emotion!  Thus, I do not let the "compassion" that clouds the perspectives of many enter into my assessments of purely scientific discussion.

In parting, I can only hope that this environmental board is a tad more active than the last (which I affectionately dubbed the "bone yard").  Never the less, I do believe there is a lot to discuss regarding the environment.  After all, it is our home.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 1:28AM #5
Marysara722
Ahhh, Bodean, welcome to "the Bone Yard" aka, the Environmental Issues Board! :D

And yes, let's hope this board can be more active if you post here instead of you
know where else.

It would help start the ball rolling along if you could post a few threads or more yes?

Thanks for helping the new board along.
MSara
Your humble Host
:)

And of course a hearty welcome to Char & Robin too. ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 9:16PM #6
Bodean
[QUOTE=MarySara722;23767]
It would help start the ball rolling along if you could post a few threads or more yes?

MSara
Your humble Host

****************[/QUOTE]

As you can see Marysara .. I'm doing my best!  I'm even trying to keep the poltics out of it, to stimulate some real discussion.

:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 9:16PM #7
Bodean
[QUOTE=MarySara722;23767]

MSara
Your humble Host

****************[/QUOTE]

As you can see Marysara .. I'm doing my best!  I'm even trying to keep the poltics out of it, to stimulate some real discussion.

:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2007 - 9:17AM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Greens party volunteer, walking suburban streets delivering leaflets.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 10:51AM #9
KARD9000
Hi MarySara and all,

I finally made my way over to the Environmental Boards and thought I stop in.  I'm not a scientist or scholar just a plain ol' ordinary person slogging through life who doesn't like all the waste we are generating.  I think we need to find a better way to make, use and dispose of all the products we use every day.

I'm not here to discuss the specifics of, say, global warming and the like, though I do enjoy the debate - I live in area where  I feel the changes are very noticeable. I want to push past that and feel its time find a better way of handling and creating all this wonderful stuff we humans want to consume.  Very simply I think we're terrible stewards of this beautiful place we live on and we need to change now.

Kim!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2007 - 11:35AM #10
KARD9000
Also,  I believe it is the apostrophe and/or quotation marks that give people a problem when cutting & pasting. Everything after the first apostrophe is cut off when doing so; therefore, you need to take out all of that type of punctuation, copy or cut and paste then go back in and add it.

Hope that helps!?!?!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook