Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome to the Environmental Issues Board
7 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2008 - 12:25PM #11
bonniesgarden
I am new to the BeliefNet Forums.  I am posting on this forum, because I am in the process of making many lifestyle changes.  My husband and I own an acreage where we are converting to organic.  The ground has not had any harmful chemicals or fertalizers added by the previous owner so we are starting out well in our quest for organic grown growth.  We have raspberries, grape vines, asparagus, horseradish, and rhubarb already on the property which we harvested last Spring and Summer and are looking forward to an even better harvest this year.  I have also converted my home to natural chemical free cleaning products, which the cleanser Sol-U-Mel is my favorite making my house clean and smelling fresh and clean.  It is wonderful how one feels close to God when walking in the great outdoors with fresh clean air to breath (clean air both inside and outside the home).
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2008 - 4:03PM #12
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Political organisation requires work; it is a business. Party spendthrifts need confronting with a budget deficit! I think the party can only afford to flower in election years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2008 - 3:24PM #13
Agnosticspirit
Just wanted to stop by and say howdy!

I probably won't engage in the global warming debates; I have my own theories about that and no need to prove them.

That said, I'm a free-market environmentalist; voting with my wallet often as much as I can. I think consumer demand has helped to make corporations realize that green goods can be good for the bottom line and applaud that with all my heart and wallet :)

I choose eco-friendly products for house and home. Most of my personal toiletries like makeup and skincare are either organic or from companies that have signed up for the fair trade and crueltry-free compacts. In this, each of us can make a difference.

I bring my own grocery bags to my local Trader Jos and avoid shopping at Walmart, participate in local beach cleanups and try to buy foods with the least amount of packaging and processing. I recycle. I can probably do more.
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 3:40AM #14
Karma_yeshe_dorje
I cycle up to forty kilometres.

On longer journeys, I drive a full hybrid.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2008 - 9:00PM #15
Sevrin
Hi All,
           I have just joined Beliefnet so am a bit of a newby! I have been working in the environmental science field for the past 10 years. I work for the Government (Australian) offering private landholders/Farmers dollar incentives to fence off, protect and restore any remnant vegetation and waterways on their properties. I have really enjoyed this work as it has allowed me to see that we dont need to choose sides that there is a sustainable way out there that we can live great lives but not destroy our planet in the process.  I look forward to getting to know you all and learning and discussing issues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2008 - 10:47PM #16
eadler
[QUOTE=Sevrin;684195]Hi All,
           I have just joined Beliefnet so am a bit of a newby! I have been working in the environmental science field for the past 10 years. I work for the Government (Australian) offering private landholders/Farmers dollar incentives to fence off, protect and restore any remnant vegetation and waterways on their properties. I have really enjoyed this work as it has allowed me to see that we dont need to choose sides that there is a sustainable way out there that we can live great lives but not destroy our planet in the process.  I look forward to getting to know you all and learning and discussing issues.[/QUOTE]

Welcome Sevrin.
I am curious about the influence of agriculture on CO2 and Methane emissions. Has any work been done on how to maximize carbon sequestration by agricultural practices.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 9:28PM #17
Sevrin
Hi Eadler,
I have not come across any research yet to indicate how we would measure CO2 emissions from ag, but it is on the drawing board so to speak. There are folks in the Department of Primary Indiustries (DPI) working on it now to get ready for 2011,  I think when they will bring in a way for landholders to begin carbon seqestration/ off setting their carbon produced on farm. As I see or hear new approaches I will flick them up on the board for a bit of discussion but at this stage its still a "watch this space"
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 12:19AM #18
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day Sevrin:

[QUOTE]Government (Australian) offering private landholders/Farmers dollar incentives to fence off, protect and restore any remnant vegetation and waterways on their properties.[/QUOTE]Landcare.

[QUOTE]CO2 emissions from ag[/QUOTE]Grazing produces an immense amount of methane! Clearing forest also has a big impact.

G'day eadler:

[QUOTE]maximize carbon sequestration by agricultural[/QUOTE]Replace grazing with permanent forest reserve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 2:36AM #19
Sevrin
Government (Australian) offering private landholders/Farmers dollar incentives to fence off, protect and restore any remnant vegetation and waterways on their properties.
Yes Landcare does some funding, But I work for DPI not Landcare.

Ag certainly does produce emission and that is why organisations are looking at how to reduce or capture that carbon from the farm.

It would be nice if we could replace it with forest but we have to try and find a balance mate even if you stopped grazing stock we still need to plant crops to produce food, we will get there I see positive change everyday. Cheers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 4:25AM #20
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day Sevrin:

I used to spend weekends at Rocklyn Ashram. So I remember cold winters! From there I visited Daylesford and Hepburn Springs. The water came brown out of the pipes, and precipitated in my canister--the swamis hated the taste, and wouldn't drink it! One year I took friends to the Glenlyon Festival, and showered outdoors with a bucket of cold fizzy mineral water from a standpipe.

Surely perennials are the go?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook