Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What are the 12 Tribes?
7 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 7:51AM #31
Agnosticspirit
[QUOTE=Macros;432683]You're sure you want to visit our coutry? There is nothing special about it. All the land is flat and wet.. ;-)[/QUOTE] Maybe so Macros, but your country is lovely in spirit and social tolerance; an example free peoples would do well to emulate. :)
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 12:25PM #32
Macros

agnosticspirit wrote:

Maybe so Macros, but your country is lovely in spirit and social tolerance; an example free peoples would do well to emulate. :)

Well, come and see how it is overhere ;-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 9:49AM #33
etsryan
i don't see the link...i don't know what the twelve tribes are
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue ><:> *:D (: + 
Yesh!  www.muttscomics.com
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
Some of what Gilbert K. Chesterton says:
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"If there were no God, there would be no atheists."
"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"There are some desires that are not desirable."
"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man."
"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 10:42AM #34
etsryan
Okay,

I am a cradle Catholic who left the church for a while as a teen and came back and also have had several communal and personal experiences to deepen my faith and religious convictions.  I began attending weekday Mass/worship regularly during Lent in 1990 and have tried to maintain a daily Mass commitment.  I participated in 12-step recovery through adult children (of alcoholics/other dysfunctions) anonymous and al-anon as well as some other non-chemically dependent peer support groups like Emotions Anonymous.  Got more involved in church and the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and Eucharistic Adoration (since 1991) as well as the World Apostolate of Our Lady of Fatima - particularly the First Friday All-Night Vigils of Reparation to the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.  I participate in interfaith/other faith things including trying to hear out and find common ground with 'no religion' types.  I have attended Reform and Conservative Synagogues a few times with a boyfriend.  I have attended a few other Christian worship services.  A friend who is possibly transgender became an Anglo-Catholic/Episcopalian.  I am sensitive to respect for/sanctity of human life issues and find creation for non-parental purposes and destruction of z/e/f-s morally bankrupt.  I feel economic/poverty issues and the care/stewardship of the earth, environment and using all resources wisely and fairly is incredibly important.  I value freedom and would rather err on the side of allowing folks too much freedom rather than contrived controls that don't suit everyone.  I am grateful for the papacy/apostolic succession.  I do appreciate St. Paul's conversion and realize God calls folks in differenet ways.  I believe that God is everything and can do anything - including having a Son born of a Virgin and having Flesh that is Real Food and Blood that is Real Drink.  (John Chapter 6)  I believe in Scripture and Tradition and Prophecy as revelations from God.  When I am asked what I am politically I say "Independent".  I liked much of what I heard Mr. and Mrs. Mike Huckabee saying.  Lately I am trying to look out for minority rights while maintaining my own perspective/integrity such that it is.  I like working for complete consensus rather than settling for less.  I believe if unity is to be achieved as well as peace that consistent/constant effort must be made in that/those directions.  I do not believe 'absence of conflict' is true peace.  I don't believe uniformity is the same as unity. 

How many other beliefnetters are Cultural Warriors?  (do we have to be 'heartland'?)

Trying to make a difference and a disciple or two along the way...

Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue ><> :D (: +
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 11:15AM #35
etsryan
note that the clickable link to the descriptions of the twelve tribes is in post 18.  i don't see any link in post one.

or type in twelve tribes in the search box on belienet and it should take you to several articles about it.
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
www.chesterton.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 4:42PM #36
Mlyons619
[QUOTE=etsryan;457814]note that the clickable link to the descriptions of the twelve tribes is in post 18.  i don't see any link in post one[/QUOTE]

Actually the link IS on post 1.  All you have to do is run your cursor over the first sentence and you'll find it.

And, welcome.

mlyons619
Host, Twelve Tribes of American Politics board
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 11:07PM #37
etsryan
Thanks...how is one supposed to know that it's clickable there in post one?  the text appears just like the other text around it and I am not usually mousing over all the text in posts to see if something gets underlined when i do...
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
www.chesterton.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2008 - 9:52PM #38
Mlyons619
[QUOTE=etsryan;463678]Thanks...how is one supposed to know that it's clickable there in post one?  the text appears just like the other text around it and I am not usually mousing over all the text in posts to see if something gets underlined when i do...[/QUOTE]

Hey!  Talk to Beliefnetcheryl (BNET Site Administrator) - she dooded it - not me...

;)
            --Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 9:45PM #39
Mlyons619
Ah, what the heck?

Here it is again!

"The Twelve Tribes of American Politics," by John Green and Steven Waldman

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/153/story_15355_1.html

Enjoy!

;)
            --Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 11:02AM #40
BBarton
[QUOTE=mlyons619;79481]The Lost Tribe?

Actually, I would categorize myself as a fundamental evangelical Christian, who believes the Old and New Testaments are divinely inspired and comprise the complete Word of God.  I tend to vote conservative on most issues, and my vote is based very much on what I believe in.  I don't know if that makes me a fundie rightie, as I am also a school teacher and tend to vote on education issues with my professional peers.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lyons,

I don't want to box you in, but the part about the Old and New Testaments being the complete Word of God would lead me to assume your're a fundie.  We live in a time that scriptures, some older and less tampered with have been revealed after nearly 2000 years.  People were persecuted and murdered to keep these from you while Church and State unified to subjugate rather than free our souls. 

Holding on to anything but the love of Christ, (tradition included) is limiting. Yeshua said to seek and we'd find, to knock and it would be opened, to ask and it would be given.  Martin Luther did a great job getting our focus off Religion's yoke, but he still beat himself.  Many of our protestant churches inherited that same bondage to guilt and shame Rome enslaved them with.

There's even more revealed in what was kept from us.  It doesn't take away from but builds on to what we already had.

i for one feel blessed to live in a time these WORDs are available, and appreciate all so many did to make them available for the rest of US.  Besides, if even the rocks will cry out the glory of our Lord, why wouldn't I turn over every stone?  And remember Jesus is the Word.  The living Word, who was before Abraham, is and always will be.  Fear limits and is a waste when its not protecting.  I don't see what is being protected when choosing fear over seeking other than the interests of those who want dominion through religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook