Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What are the 12 Tribes?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 12:57PM #1
BeliefnetCheryl
On the eve of the 2004 presidential election, Beliefnet introduced the Twelve Tribes of American Politics to demonstrate how the religious groups that factor in American political decision-making are a great deal more complicated than simply a division between the Religious Right and the Religious Left. Using data from the Fourth National Survey on Religion and Politics, Beliefnet defined the religious groupings that make up our political landscape.

Which tribe do you belong to? Please tell us which group you
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2007 - 9:09PM #2
break
And for those of us who did not get the 12 tribes then, here is a link to the description.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2007 - 9:12PM #3
keesiewonder
Given those choices, I guess I best fall in to the the tribe of the Religious Left.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2007 - 9:19AM #4
AintKatie
I think I fall somewhere in between Religous Left and Secular.
If this were the Census, I'd have to check *other* and that probably isn't a bad thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 5:12PM #5
KARD9000
I too would check other.  I find myself pretty much in Secular but would probably agreed with people who were White Bread Protestant, Religious Left & Spiritual But Not Religious.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 08, 2007 - 11:50AM #6
cranbrry13
Seems I fall into the Religious Left category better than any other. I'm okay with that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2007 - 10:51PM #7
Mlyons619
[QUOTE=BeliefnetCheryl;491]Which tribe do you belong to?[/QUOTE]

The Lost Tribe?

Actually, I would categorize myself as a fundamental evangelical Christian, who believes the Old and New Testaments are divinely inspired and comprise the complete Word of God.  I tend to vote conservative on most issues, and my vote is based very much on what I believe in.  I don't know if that makes me a fundie rightie, as I am also a school teacher and tend to vote on education issues with my professional peers.
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2007 - 4:17PM #8
rochs_relief
I'm probably closest to the Religious left, or spiritual but not religious groups. The thing I really like about the tribes is that it suggests that most people are moderates leaning one way or the other, rather than being so planted on either side. This is a lot closer to the truth, it's a shame more politicians don't realize it. There are a few groups, third parties and organizations like Unity08.com that are trying to bring politics back to real issues that real people believe in (Unity08 actually has a site where you can vote for what you feel are major American issues, number one right now is energy independence, I think). But the two-party system we have now doesn't really take these "tribes" into consideration. Very interesting, will bookmark this page!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2007 - 1:31AM #9
freelancemonotheist
The Religious Left and proud to be a statistic!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2007 - 6:37AM #10
Whisperingal
I personally find these kinds of "categories" to be divisive.

What's the point of even further dividing people by making them choose one label?

It may be convenient for stereotyping and ease of reference purposes but what it does in reality is further alienate people from each other.

We're all Americans concerned about our country--that works for me as a "category."

Does it work for anyone else?

Sending good thoughts for all.
WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook