Page 32 of 34  •  Prev 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome To All --- An "Introduce Yourself" Thread
5 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 5:52PM #311
Mlyons619

Welcome back Just_ed

I think you'll find one half opinionated on politics and the other half opinionated on religious, and both halves not afraid to share their opinions here - as it was in the past.

mlyons619
Co-Host

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2009 - 10:48AM #312
Armwar

Yeah, Ed, hi!  come back!

Hi, I'm Gail (hi Gail) ...I come here when I feel the need to be beaten up.  As a battered child and wife of three batterers, I think there is a pattern, folks...but it feels comfortable to me, which is why I return again and again for a place I know I am going to be treated ugly...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2009 - 10:53AM #313
CharikIeia

Ah ha, welcome back, Ed!

What made you quit for so long, if I may ask?

Positive New Year's resolutions some years ago?

If so, we still have some days left

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2009 - 8:25PM #314
Just_ed

Hi Chari!

Nice to see you again.  Why did I quit?  I think it was because I just liked the old format beliefnet better.  I had an old computer and when they switched over to the newfangled layout my old machine just wasn't up to the challenge.  But now I have a new machine and some solid facebook experience and decided to drop by and give it another try.

It's nice to be back, but I'm not sure how much time I'll be spending here at US Politics.  I used to love this board, but I think I've changed.  Whereas it used to look like a place where intelligent people argued the issues of the day, now it looks to me mostly like embittered people just hurling sh!t at each other. 

Like I said, the board hasn't changed--just me.  I've grown sick and tired of the ugly and stupid political culture of anger and insult we have in the states today.  Granted, I am alarmed and repulsed by the crackpot political right wing, but I'm not an especially great fan of lefty ideologues, either. 

I strongly support Obama and think he has the potential to be a truly great president--a humane liberal in his politics matched with a clear-eyed pragmatist in his approach to governing.  I think he's already taken very large and necessary steps to clean up the mess (what an understatement) left by his predecessor.  And I strongly and enthusiastically support his drive to reform healthcare, while recognizing that it's just a first step.

But I no longer feel like screaming at and insulting and hating on people who believe differently.  And I no longer care to read or listen to people doing that to each other.  Maybe my deepening Christian faith is turning me into soft-headed idealist who wants to listen and understand and try to find common ground.  Who knows.

I might be spending more time on the religion boards, while avoiding those where the cross of Christ is nothing more than a blunt force weapon to be wielded in the culture wars.

I hope things are well with you, dear Charikleia.  I'm sure we'll be running into each other from time to time! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2009 - 7:42PM #315
CharikIeia

I think it's a good idea to stay sober, Ed. This place is as you sketch it - seldom that a topic can be addressed without the usual partisan camp formation and the ensuing flattened argumentation. But there are few stations more reliable for getting the latest spin! It's amusing and sometimes upsetting in a refreshing way, to read here. Posting, though, typically is a serious sign of "unhealthy attachment"

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2009 - 7:51PM #316
Just_ed

Dec 27, 2009 -- 7:42PM, CharikIeia wrote:

Posting, though, typically is a serious sign of "unhealthy attachment"

Ain't that the truth.  And "unhealthy attachment" pretty well describes the approach to political debate that I'm weaning myself from through mindfulness and "sobriety". 

You seem to be able to maintain something close to sanity here.  Always admired that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2009 - 8:03PM #317
CharikIeia

Dec 27, 2009 -- 7:51PM, Just_ed wrote:

You seem to be able to maintain something close to sanity here.

Seem is the key word! The hosts are my witnesses.

I love some topics.

Global warming, anti-intellectualism, anti-European prejudice, unregulated financial markets
- I combat them all, and their local minions!

Seriously: I tend to post here for relaxing during night-time work - e.g., when my computer here is calculating another set of analytical results for a paper I am writing, I bridge the gap between hitting "run" and obtaining results by some b'net fun.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 12:18AM #318
Rofl

Hello - new here myself.  I do have an interest in politics.

CharikIeia: What are you studying?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 7:43PM #319
Mlyons619
Hi Rofl, welcome to the board.  Politics are DEFINITELY what we do here.  We do honor the BNET Forum Rules of Conduct.  Our social thread is the "Ad Hominem Saloon," where posters can socialize with other posters or get a political rant off their chests.

I'm pretty sure Charikleia is not a student, although I think she's been a teacher.  I'll let her answer for herself.

mlyons619
US NEWS & POLITICS Co-Host
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2010 - 4:07PM #320
topfengolatsche

Um... Hi! So this is me, Viennese Cheese Danish!

Faith: little, if any

Hobbies: arguing, getting annoyed, being annoying

Special Powers: reason, critical thinking

I'm European and rather unapologetic about it. That means I will, more often than not, be at odds with some Americans. Don't take it personally and I will try not to get too annoyed about American exceptionalism. We might even get along. Laughing

So, lets get on with it, why won't we.

*wave*

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 32 of 34  •  Prev 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook