Switch to Forum Live View End of the world stories
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 4:18PM #1
wohali
All kinds of different folks have all kinds of different "End of the World" stories:

www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2012 - 6:11PM #2
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jun 12, 2012 -- 4:18PM, wohali wrote:

All kinds of different folks have all kinds of different "End of the World" stories:

www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

That's how I know all of this "end of days" stuff is nonsense.  No three year winter.  Give me a 3 year winter, Hel, give me a 2 year winter with no chance of it stopping, and then we will talk.  ;)

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2012 - 8:45PM #3
wohali

On the Maya predicting the end of the world:

gizmodo.com/5872896/the-complete-video-g...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2012 - 9:48AM #4
MysticWanderer

The most likely scenario for the end of the Mayan calendar making is on the afternoon of a long hat day.  One Mayan says to his buddies in the calendar shop,"Hey guys, we got calendars 5000 years ahead now.  Even our grandchildren s grandchildren will be dead long before they are needed.  Lets grab some brews and catch the game at the ball court.  I got a buddy who is playing today."  The other guys also being hot, tired and frankly sick of doing the same work all agreed.  Next day they took up bas reliefs for a new temple.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2012 - 2:30PM #5
TPaine

I like some of the end of the world episodes of the Twilight Zone such a "Two" and "The Midnight Sun."

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2012 - 10:34PM #6
gorm-sionnach

If my ancestors has an eschatological narrative, it did not survive to be written down. The closest thing is a prophecy which is given by Badb, which reads more like a diagnostic as opposed to a narrative. These things will occur, and this signifies that the end is nigh.

What is clear, however, is the state the world is supposed to be in, complete disorder to the point of inversion of the "natural order", essentially the things which sustain the world are in such disarray that the entropy gets to a point where renewal is impossible, and the primoridal forces which (again hypothetically as no cosmogenic narrative survives either) were the first things, fire and water (very similar to fire and ice in Icelandic myth), reduce everything to their primordial state. Of course, time being percieved as cyclical, the cycle starts anew and life goes on.

The significance, of course, is that what ought to matter is restated and reinforced, and shown to be essential to the proper maintenence, not only of the social order, but of the natural order which the social order is held to be a natural reflection of. Eschatologial narratives, if they are understood correctly, can inform us about the world view which spawned them, and allow us to gain a deeper understanding of the culture they came from.

They (and myth in general, for the most part) fail when they are treated as history (or future history), and meaning and significance are lost in the search for literal signs and portents.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2012 - 3:22AM #7
Namchuck

Jun 15, 2012 -- 2:30PM, TPaine wrote:

I like some of the end of the world episodes of the Twilight Zone such a "Two" and "The Midnight Sun."

'The Midnight Sun' is one of my favorites!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook