Post Reply
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Bnet "news article" slams Paganism
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 5:22PM #11
gorm-sionnach
Posts: 1,663

So now, not only has the article itself been removed, but so too was Gus's short blog reply to it. I'm actually astonished that this thread is even still here, though I guess because I did not post a link (or maybe I did and the link was removed?), the thread remains.


The fact that all's eariler post was removed, does not bode well. I will reiteirate, this article was posted a month ago, why did it take so long for a reply? I certainly find the fact that content generated by a "senior editor" was removed because of user feedback to be a rather remarkable occurence, and do appreciate the reiteration of bnet's pledge to offering a truly mutlifaith site. Having said that, the fact remains that the majority of the content on the site is Christian centric (not surprising, consider the sheer demographics), and so when such things occur, repeatedly, it becomes difficult to see any sincerity in such a move. Unfortunately, and especially owing to the removal of a blogger's post, it seems little more that a calculated PR move to avoid further alienating the few Pagans who are still here, or those who come looking for a community to be a part of.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 5:30PM #12
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Posts: 11,634

Jun 7, 2012 -- 3:49PM, wohali wrote:


All, did you say something?





Yes, yes I did. 


To expound on the thought that I briefly expressed in my terse remark, I think it speaks a lot to the underlying problem that it took bnet 2 months and complaining before they figured out there was a problem in the first place. 


This illustrates how out of touch with the people that they are saying matter and they wish to keep around. 


This wasn't an ignorant poster on a board.  This was a representative of the site itself, on the main page claiming to be factual. 


No wonder long time members are getting fed up and leaving. 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 1:24AM #13
Ferretling
Posts: 254

What I find bothersome is that they took it down from its very prominent position, but did not write a news article apologizing. No, they tuck away the apology here, where only those bothering to read the Multifaith Board will see it. To me this says a couple things. The first is that they don't actually care. The second is that they are not really sorry. The third is that they don't worry themselves about the concerns or feelings of any of their non-Christian members.


I am a former pagan (now Zen Buddhist), and I found the article highly offensive.


But what I find even more offensive is that there is no public statement on the same page from the so-called writer who spewed the idiocy, nor from Beliefnet itself. Put the apology and retraction on the page where everyone can see it, not tucked away here in a seldom-visited forum.


Better yet, fire the guy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 8:23AM #14
Sacrificialgoddess
Posts: 9,496

Jun 8, 2012 -- 1:24AM, Ferretling wrote:


What I find bothersome is that they took it down from its very prominent position, but did not write a news article apologizing. No, they tuck away the apology here, where only those bothering to read the Multifaith Board will see it. To me this says a couple things. The first is that they don't actually care. The second is that they are not really sorry. The third is that they don't worry themselves about the concerns or feelings of any of their non-Christian members.


I am a former pagan (now Zen Buddhist), and I found the article highly offensive.


But what I find even more offensive is that there is no public statement on the same page from the so-called writer who spewed the idiocy, nor from Beliefnet itself. Put the apology and retraction on the page where everyone can see it, not tucked away here in a seldom-visited forum.


Better yet, fire the guy.




This. This is what should happen. If you are going to take it down, at least explain why, don't just pretend it never happened.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 9:44AM #15
Lilwabbit
Posts: 2,812

I'm glad the article was removed. Thank you Bnet management! You proved your underlying commitment to interfaith issues. I would like to kindly request that you make sure similar articles are not posted again which explicitly or implicitly involve the bashing of a particular religion or promoting one/some at the expense of others.


Kindly,


Wabbit


P.S. As some said, the overall Christian slant of Bnet is to be expected due to demographics. We shouldn't be too bothered about it (albeit this is an interfaith forum where such leanings are not very appropriate) nor should we expect perfect neutrality any time soon (or ever, really). Even the most advanced democracies are far from neutrality and perfectly equal free speech. I'm happy with the fact that dialogue with the management still works on Bnet. Thanks!

"All things have I willed for you, and you too, for your own sake."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 10:24AM #16
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Posts: 11,634

Jun 8, 2012 -- 8:23AM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:


Jun 8, 2012 -- 1:24AM, Ferretling wrote:


What I find bothersome is that they took it down from its very prominent position, but did not write a news article apologizing. No, they tuck away the apology here, where only those bothering to read the Multifaith Board will see it. To me this says a couple things. The first is that they don't actually care. The second is that they are not really sorry. The third is that they don't worry themselves about the concerns or feelings of any of their non-Christian members.


I am a former pagan (now Zen Buddhist), and I found the article highly offensive.


But what I find even more offensive is that there is no public statement on the same page from the so-called writer who spewed the idiocy, nor from Beliefnet itself. Put the apology and retraction on the page where everyone can see it, not tucked away here in a seldom-visited forum.


Better yet, fire the guy.




This. This is what should happen. If you are going to take it down, at least explain why, don't just pretend it never happened.




I think a public apology, in May, would have helped somewhat.  With this specific issue.  From my perspective, this whole thing really is a symptom of how things have become here.  SG, you remember back in the days of the yellow boards, when Multi faith was jumping, pagan fellowship boards were lively, and the discussion boards of several different faiths were managing to fill their front pages with new discussions almost twice a day.  Now look at it.  Christianity debate is more like C2C, there are boards on multifaith that haven't had a new post for months, and some of the reconstructionist boards have never been posted on. 


Why did this occur?  What could possibly make a happy, vibrant community pack up and search for greener pastures, because we all know they are out there on other boards.  practitioners of non Christian religions in the US pretty much need the interaction that the internet provides. 


My idea of how it happened. 


1.  Bnet sold to Fox. 


Sorry to fulfill Godwins Law here, but that is like having Hitler babysit your Jewish grandkids. 


2.  Bnet canned many of it's "Hosts".  People who had hosted for years, and knew the rules, knew how to enforce them, and knew how to be fair about it.  People who helped to build the community into something that would be attractive to potential purchasers in the first place. 


3.  Bnet changed it's format into unintelligible nonsense not once but twice.  Yeah, there were problems with the yellow boards.  At least we could post outside pics and vids without jumping through 30 hoops to do so. 


4.  Bnet changed from a multifaith religious board to a facebook wanna be.  That's like buying a pasture because it is a picturesque setting with cows, building a sky skyscraper, and complaining that there are no cows left.  If you want a multifaith community, have a damn multifaith community.  Did you guys ever thing that if Bnet members wanted to post blogs and network we'd go to places where we could blog and network?  We're not exactly computer illiterate here. 


5.  Bnet got rid of a lot of staff.  I for one miss Bree. 


6.  Bnet implemented a post modification feature for the "hosts".  I'll admit, when I was a host, I thought this was a good idea.  In practice it does not turn out to be.  One person wields way to much power. 


7.  Current Bnet staff is ignorant about multifaith relations.  I have complained in the past that new members who stumble upon, and seem to want to discuss multifaith tend only to think of multifaith as "the big three".  Staff here, for the most part, seems to as well.  I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with ignorance.  There are many topics out there that I am ignorant on.  The trick is recognizing the fact that you don't know something, and being honest enough to not pretend to be knowledgeable about it.  If there is a topic that you feel you need to address, it is not that hard to find persons that are knowledgeable of the subject matter.  Buffy the vampire slayer is not a good source of information about paganism.  Some crackpot that killed kids and said that Harry Potter made them do it is not indicative of paganism.  I have never heard pagans express even the slightest desire to hold human sacrifices, so any reference to only being held back by HHS is almost criminally negligent. 


All of these combined make this place not receptive to the diversity that it once had.  Even good members of an open minded nature that happen to be Christian have left.  Where are the Mongos, or Brother Yossarins? Sure, there are some stragglers.  People longing for the glory days. 


Still, I feel that most of them are probably like me.  We've left the door open to Bnet, and gone through it many times.  I still check here every once and a while to see what is going on.  If the door shut though, I wouldn't try to re open it again. 



all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 12:29PM #17
Thetanager
Posts: 1,222

I agree with you, all.  I've gone off and on Bnet at different times throughout the years and it definitely is not like it used to be.  I guess I never came for the articles, just the forum...so I can't speak to all of that, but I also guess everything talked about with this article that was removed doesn't surprise me and is one of the reasons why I never came for the articles to begin with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 6:37PM #18
Sacrificialgoddess
Posts: 9,496

Pretty close to the universal pagan perspective on this one: www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/2012/06/h...

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2012 - 10:09PM #19
Annie_alive
Posts: 310

Jun 9, 2012 -- 6:37PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:


Pretty close to the universal pagan perspective on this one: www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/2012/06/h...




Thank you, SG.  


I've been silent on this topic, but I have felt the disgust that others have expressed with the handling of this whole situation.



Its very interesting that it has been Beliefnet which led me to Paganism.  I used the discussions in my search for understanding of my own spirituality as it was evolving out of christianity.   The old posts in various boards gave me a lot of food for thought, as well as leading me to information elsewhere on the 'net.  


It was after about 2 years of this that it seemed that I was still restless, no particular 'religion' satisfied me, even though many had some awesome philosophies.   I had ignored Paganism because of my christian indoctrination, I guess, thinking it would have nothing to offer me.  But as "neopaganism' crept up on my beliefnet quiz results, curiosity got the better of me.


There were some awesome posts there, gone now, which taught me so much.  What impressed me more than anything else, was the prominence of freedom of belief, and the acceptance of other people's own faiths, no matter what they may be!


I was, and still am, extremely greatful to Beliefnet  for this treasure of information giving me the paths for my journey.  But I am also disappointed to see the gradual and subtle 'christianization' of this site.  


The Multifaith forum is the first place I come for my lurking sessions, and I am growing weary of the proselytising which is left unchecked by the moderators.  But I keep coming back because of the awesome posters who won't stay silent.


That's all I have to say at this time.............




Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2012 - 6:33PM #20
hungrylittlemonster
Posts: 63

The old "yellow" boards were always moving.


I remeber spending hours going through 2 - 3 pages of posts that were hours old.


Yeah there were witch wars and such but the discussions were lively and I enjoyed the different points of view.



Now I leave and come back 2, 3, 6 months later and the boards are covered with dust.



I almost forgot my password...   If I didn't remeber it I would not even bother retreaving it.   



Such a shame.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook