Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Bnet "news article" slams Paganism
2 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2012 - 5:47PM #1
gorm-sionnach
Yesterday, Jason from the Wild Hunt blog, posted a scathing piece on a news article, written by senior bnet editor Rob Kerby, conflating modern paganism, historic paganism, fictional witchcraft, religious fanaticism in Islamic countires and the killing of people in Africa for the crime of witchcraft. As he's already provided plenty of commentary on it, I'll not bother with it here. Aside from this, it has even prompted bnet's own Pagan blogger, Gus diZerega, to post a short response and muse about his future on the website.

I posted a thread a while back, discussing the nature of the articles which appear on the front page. This kind of crap just seems to be backing up my previouisly held assertions.

Keep in mind, this wasn't a blog post, this was not an op-ed, this was a featured story on beliefnet's "news" page. It's being presented as a news article, which is rather misleading. of course, looking at both current and past posts, touted as "news", they are all in fact op-eds mostly written by this blowhard.

I'm probably like a lot of the regulars who post here, not giving much attention to a lot of the other content featured on beliefnet, and sticking mostly to the forums and the occasional blog. But I find it difficult to want to continue, or associate myself even at that level, with a web site run in such a manner. You want to talk about two faced hypocricy; the article actually has links to Pagan content which is featured on beliefnet!

Bnet's best days are most assuredly long past.
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2012 - 4:20PM #2
mainecaptain

Apr 26, 2012 -- 5:47PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Bnet's best days are most assuredly long past.

WOW!

And I agree with you the best days are over.

Thanks for the post and article Gorm.

I do worry for the future though.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 07, 2012 - 03:23PM
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 01, 2012 - 5:15AM #3
Lilwabbit

I've rarely read a more paganophobic load of bunkum. The article runs diametrically counter to the interfaith founding spirit of Bnet. All belief-systems, whether monotheistic, polytheistic or animistic, have aberrations that give rise to human rights abuses and violence. While a monotheist myself, historically monotheism (if judged by the sheer number and magnitude of atrocities committed in the name of God) gives a far more gore-soaked account of itself than other forms of belief.

"All things have I willed for you, and you too, for your own sake."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 15, 2012 - 10:54PM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

This is why I have been staying away a lot more. Before the site changed hands half a dozen times, it was pretty pagan friendly. Now?  Not a whole lot of evidence that it is anything more than another Christian site pretending to be something else.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 11:15AM #5
river8101

Too bad.  Wish there were more pagans on B Net.  I have found them at Facebook, though.  I'm over there now most of the time.  Paganism has nothing to do with Christianity or any other formal religion, and has totally and several different beliefs.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 8:34PM #6
Sacrificialgoddess

May 21, 2012 -- 11:15AM, river8101 wrote:

Too bad.  Wish there were more pagans on B Net.  I have found them at Facebook, though.  I'm over there now most of the time.

www.mysticwicks.com.

That is where they have run to.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 12:29PM #7
Beliefnet_community

Dear Valued Community Members,

We wanted to reach out to you to let you know how deeply sorry we are for the Beliefnet News blog post back in April titled “What can the third world teach the “civilized” world about witchcraft.”  Unfortunately this post was just recently brought to our attention; however it has been permanently removed from Beliefnet.com.

Please note that the views expressed in this piece are by no means representative of Beliefnet and our views toward Paganism.  Beliefnet is, and will always remain, a multi-faith website celebrating all beliefs.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Your voices and discussions are a valuable and enjoyed asset to the site and we look to continue to provide you with a safe environment to express your own thoughts and feelings on religion, spirituality and more.

Beliefnet

We are listening! Problems, complaints, other issues? Send us a message at Beliefnet_community.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 4:35PM #8
mainecaptain

WOW!

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 4:39PM #9
Sacrificialgoddess

Removing it doesn't mean those attitudes don't exist. And to be honest, I think having it at least gave us a place to dispute those kinds of ideas.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2012 - 4:58PM #10
mainecaptain

Jun 7, 2012 -- 4:39PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Removing it doesn't mean those attitudes don't exist. And to be honest, I think having it at least gave us a place to dispute those kinds of ideas.

True this

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook