Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 10:15AM #1
JRT

www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/harold...

Radio evangelist Harold Camping has called his erroneous prediction that the world would end last May 21 an "incorrect and sinful statement" and said his ministry is out of the prediction business.

"We have learned the very painful lesson that all of creation is in God's hands and he will end time in his time, not ours!" reads the statement signed by Camping and his staff and posted on his ministry's website.

"We humbly recognize that God may not tell his people the date when Christ will return, any more than he tells anyone the date they will die physically."

The "March 2012" letter, which included multiple mea culpas, was released with a note from the board of California-based Family Radio. The group intended to mail it to listeners first, but immediately posted it "to avoid confusion" after it was leaked online.

Camping said people have continued to wish for another prediction, but he is now convinced that critics were correct about the biblical admonition that "of that day and hour knoweth no man."

"We must also openly acknowledge that we have no new evidence pointing to another date for the end of the world," he wrote. "Though many dates are circulating, Family Radio has no interest in even considering another date."

The letter makes no reference to Camping's explanation last year that he had miscalculated by five months and the world would instead end on Oct. 21, 2011.

The dual predictions landed Camping in the No. 7 spot of the Religion Newswriters Association's list of the top 10 religion stories of 2011.

Well its a start. Now he should compensate all those people whose lives he disrupted sometimes to the point of spending their life savings to get the message out.

the floggings will continue until morale improves
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 10:39AM #2
Sacrificialgoddess

I thought he died.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 1:00PM #3
Ken

Mar 9, 2012 -- 10:39AM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

I thought he died.

He should have, and he needs to attend to that immediately. He's just a loudmouthed troublemaker.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 1:57AM #4
Namchuck

Mar 9, 2012 -- 10:39AM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

I thought he died.

He did, but he was resurrected so he could apologise. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 2:27PM #5
TPaine

I wonder if Madhorseman will have the cojones Old Weird Harold has and post an apology here.

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 1:15AM #6
Namchuck

Mar 10, 2012 -- 2:27PM, TPaine wrote:

I wonder if Madhorseman will have the cojones Old Weird Harold has and post an apology here.

Still too swamped in embarrassment I'd say, Tpaine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2012 - 11:09AM #7
Whisper01

Well, looky looky, Harold Camping apologizing!

But apologizing to whom exactly? Oh he makes his statement that he was wrong and is apologetic to God for being presumptuous in making such predictions in Gods name, and this is all good! But the other half of the story is to do something even harder... apologize to the people. The people who did terrible things all based on Harolds predictions in the name of God. The people who gave away thier life savings and funds to promote Harolds words, which were wrong. The People who lived in fear due to his words alone! Where does his apology go to exactly? If Harold is "sorry" for his actions then what type of recompense is he making exactly? Does he see his crime as so huge that he can't make recompense? He can't even try? If so why doesn't he say it? What does God think of someone who teaches horrible terrible philosophy all in Gods name for decades and deceives thousands and hundreds of thousands and then does not attempt to un-due the damage? Oh Harolds crimes were indeed to large for a single person or Family Radio to undue, but to not even try, not even attempt it and allow God to bless the attempt and make it succeed or not is Harolds Calling Card for all his dealings, living to much in fear to attempt to do the right thing, always expressing doom -or- expressing apolgies to God and never ever attempting to make things right!

But he did apologize to God and in a off-kilter way to the people he hurt (but not flat out apologize, oh no) and so it's a start. May he live long enough to come to the full knowledge of his crimes and do the right thing.

This of course goes for those who attempted to further Harolds words and cause Fear in thier fellow man and get thier brothers to do terrible things all in the name of a false prophet. Mad Horseman, tis your cue, your place - center stage - is set and the only thing missing now is you yourself. Are you out there?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2012 - 12:07PM #8
Ken

Mar 13, 2012 -- 11:09AM, Whisper01 wrote:

May he live long enough to come to the full knowledge of his crimes and do the right thing.

We don't want him hanging around here that long.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 9:52AM #9
Whisper01

Mar 13, 2012 -- 12:07PM, Ken wrote:

May he live long enough to come to the full knowledge of his crimes and do the right thing.

Eh... ok, how about "live long enough, alone in his home attempting to influence no one, to come to the full knowledge of his crimes and do the right thing".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2012 - 1:59PM #10
Ken

Mar 14, 2012 -- 9:52AM, Whisper01 wrote:

Mar 13, 2012 -- 12:07PM, Ken wrote:

Eh... ok, how about "live long enough, alone in his home attempting to influence no one, to come to the full knowledge of his crimes and do the right thing".

It's too late for that. I have it on good authority that he died in 1996 and that he'll crumble into dust if you expose him to sunlight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook