Switch to Forum Live View Beliefnet frontpages and "featured stories"
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 3:51PM #1
gorm-sionnach
I remember a few years back, when the announcment came in that News Corp was going to purchase Bnet, the reactions about how much the entire site was going to spiral into a predominently conservative Christian, spurning its previous achievements as a multifaith website. So yeah nothing of the sort really materialized until late in 2010, when News Corp anounced they were looking for a buyer for the site, BN Media stepped up to the plate and purchased the site. Only then, did the aforementioned editorial content so drastically change.

I've been noticing it more and more, especially on the bnet homepage, the number of "features" which are explicitly Christian, and more often than not, triumphalist in nature. Except that ontop of this, most of the "features" are little more than psudeo articles for various products, again catering to an almost exclusively RR market.

Take for instance the current "article", "Is the Bible true?". I mean I clicked on this expecting an article littered with scriptural references which show the self congratulatory and affirming nature of Sola Scriptura and Christianity in general, but I didn't even get that. Instead we are treated to a bevy of random talking points coupled with images; a quote about how great the Christian lifestyle is for families is accompanied by a man, woman and child holding hands in the shadow of a cross. Some of the claims are downright laughable, but what is worse is that the expected scriptural sourcing isn't even present to try and shore up the unsubstantiated claims. My favourite excerpt, however, occurs on the second page which is titlted "Reliable in All Ways", and reads as follows:

It is not a stretch to say that the Bible is the most historically reliable book in human history. Sadly though, our survey confirms that many scholars today are dismantling belief in the Bible — and it is creating havoc in our churches and culture.

Except, as I mentioned before, there is nothing which is then provided which shows that such a mind numbingly ignorant statement has any basis in reality, or even in the authors own understanding. It is just a blanket statement and apparently we're just supposed to take their word for it.

Now, having read the whole article, the give away to its true nature is actually in the first section, where it mentions the title of the book the article has been designed to sell.

And there it is, forget content which actually has some merit, forget content which actually provides some justification to back up the assertions it makes, no what we have now is phoney articles which are nothing more than lead-ins for creationist diatribes against Christian colleges which, funnily enough, soundly reject ID as a legitimate scientific theory.

So congratulations bnet, I hardly knew ye.
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 4:31PM #2
mainecaptain

that is truly heartbreaking, Gorm. But you are correct I have noticed that myself.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 10:43AM #3
Sacrificialgoddess

Is anyone here actually surprised? 

Didn't think so.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 11:06AM #4
allthegoodnamesweretaken

I don't even look at the frontpages. Bookmarked the areas I go to. 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 12:10PM #5
river8101

Me too.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook