Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Christians, be honest. What would you do?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 10:14AM #11
Elizabethmarkley

Mar 9, 2012 -- 1:09PM, Ken wrote:

Mar 7, 2012 -- 9:30PM, gnosticlight wrote:

However, one must ask, Christians, in all the genuine honesty you can muster, please answer this one question:

What would you really do (think, or feel) if instead of Jesus "returning in glory" to usher in the "end times," or some manner of a new age... the Hindu Krishna, the Muslim Madhi, the Buddha, or some other "not-Jesus" figure were to descend from the clouds as it were bringing paradise in his wake.

They'd shit a brick.

Well said Ken.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 12:03PM #12
Thetanager

For starters, I'd be surprised, just as (I assume) you would be if it was Jesus.  Ultimately, I would adjust to reality and probably take some time in thought about how I got things wrong, what this new reality means, where do I go from here.  Assuming, of course, I am given a chance to respond and not just annihilated or something like that (depending on who comes).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 5:26PM #13
mainecaptain

Mar 16, 2012 -- 12:03PM, Thetanager wrote:

For starters, I'd be surprised, just as (I assume) you would be if it was Jesus.  Ultimately, I would adjust to reality and probably take some time in thought about how I got things wrong, what this new reality means, where do I go from here.  Assuming, of course, I am given a chance to respond and not just annihilated or something like that (depending on who comes).

Most of the people here would not care one way or the other.  I doubt any of us want to annihilate you. You are entitled to think as you do. Worship as you do. No one objects to that.

If Jesus came down out of the clouds I would not think about it. He would tend to his own and go on his way. Would not have any affect on anyone who has other deities.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 11:55AM #14
Thetanager

Mar 16, 2012 -- 5:26PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Most of the people here would not care one way or the other.  I doubt any of us want to annihilate you. You are entitled to think as you do. Worship as you do. No one objects to that.

If Jesus came down out of the clouds I would not think about it. He would tend to his own and go on his way. Would not have any affect on anyone who has other deities.

By no means did I mean to imply that I thought anyone here would want to annihilate me for my beliefs or object to my worship.  Nor do I want to annihilate anyone for their beliefs or object to their worship.  I was only answering a very broad hypothetical question, implying that some belief systems may include such an end for "outsiders."  And many faiths (mine included), if they are true, has an impact for all of reality (regardless of what the beliefs of each member are).

Then there are more relativistic faiths like yours.  If your overall picture of reality is true and some non-Jesus comes out of the sky, I would have nothing to worry about or change about my life.  If certain Muslim pictures of reality are true, it could be a different story for me.

Of course, my ultimate point was to counter the idea that all of us evangelical Christians would just be (and are) stubborn.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook