Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why I like being a charismatic/pentecostal Christian
3 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2012 - 2:47PM #1
Craig_w_dressler
For many years I tried believing a plethora of different religions and found no peace.  Only after I made Jesus Christ my Savior and Lord did I find the peace and joy I was seeking.  In addition, after receiving the infilling the Holy Spirit I was empowered to live the Christian life and given certain gifts of the Holy Spirit which help and direct my life.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2012 - 3:07PM #2
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Good for you Craig, I'm happy for you that you have found what works for you. 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 4:30PM #3
gorm-sionnach

Congratulations. I'm happy you've found a religion that works for you.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2012 - 10:57PM #4
Bug

Jan 24, 2012 -- 2:47PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

For many years I tried believing a plethora of different religions and found no peace.  Only after I made Jesus Christ my Savior and Lord did I find the peace and joy I was seeking.  In addition, after receiving the infilling the Holy Spirit I was empowered to live the Christian life and given certain gifts of the Holy Spirit which help and direct my life.

I have been a carasmatic pentacostal for a while myself.  I love exeriencIng the POwer and presence of god.  But there are many of these churches that think it's satanic because they have been filled with so many dry bones for so long they don't know what being pentacostal means. They also said that only christians have these experiences.   After being rejected enough tmes I went outside of christianity and found the same experiences in qigong and reki.  It is known as kundalini in their terms.  The problem is I love the community church provides (if they are accepting of moves of the Holy Spirit )but they are so narrow minded.  But those outside of christianity like qigong, reiki and kundalini believe this path is a solotary one.  They don't know the power a group can provide.  I wish there was a group that understood this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Oct 16, 2013 - 3:46PM #5
Craig_w_dressler

The charismatic and pentecostal churches that I have belonged to have been very accepting of the gifts and the moving of the Holy Spirit done in the correct place at the correct time.  However, what you speak of is not Christianity at all but yoga and other belief systems.  Hinduism and Christianity can't both be true.  For example, Hindus believe in reincarnation while the Bible says, "It is appointed once for a person to die and after that the judgment."  You can't have it both ways.  They are mutually exclusive, and we have to make a choice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Oct 19, 2013 - 7:34PM #6
G.flower

Oct 16, 2013 -- 3:46PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

The charismatic and pentecostal churches that I have belonged to have been very accepting of the gifts and the moving of the Holy Spirit done in the correct place at the correct time.  However, what you speak of is not Christianity at all but yoga and other belief systems.  Hinduism and Christianity can't both be true.  For example, Hindus believe in reincarnation while the Bible says, "It is appointed once for a person to die and after that the judgment."  You can't have it both ways.  They are mutually exclusive, and we have to make a choice.

They can both be true for their followers. Hindus may be reincarnated while Christians may die once and be judged. Since it is all speculation, anything could be true or none true.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Oct 19, 2013 - 7:57PM #7
mainecaptain

Oct 19, 2013 -- 7:34PM, G.flower wrote:

They can both be true for their followers. Hindus may be reincarnated while Christians may die once and be judged. Since it is all speculation, anything could be true or none true.

Exactly Gilly. The rules for Christians and their pantheon do not apply to any other pantheon, or the people of other gods. 

So no they are not mutually exclusive.   

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Oct 22, 2013 - 8:58AM #8
peterthesplitfish

Well thanks to Justinian and Helena you believe that. Justinian outlawed the parts of the New Testament that were linked to transmigration of the soul and had them removed. How's that for you? So a man decided what you should believe and a Roman Emperor no less. However, there exists in other less edited versions of the New Testament Gospels references to the transmigration of the soul. What you quote there is only correct in that who you are now only exists once and then that individual within the myriade of the soul's personalities is judged to be worthy or simply becomes a failed image. The Hindi concept of reincarnation is not the same as what the Early Christians through Yeshua taught to the desciples. You can seek out Origen on this because before the Orthodox corruption, he wrote quite a bit about it.

Peter

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Oct 22, 2013 - 12:32PM #9
Craig_w_dressler

To say that the rules of spirituality that apply to Christianity don't apply to Hinduism or vice versa is like saying the sky can be both blue and green at the same time.  If you go down that road then words have no meaning whatsover.  Communication simply goes off into nowhere.  When God said through Jesus Christ, if you even believe in God, that "no person comes to the Father(God) except through me" that is a mutually exclusive statement.  You either believe it or not.  What applies to one person, whether Christian or Hindu or whatever belief must apply to all.  Our beliefs don't determine who God is and what he is going to do because he has made that clear in the Bible.  However, our beliefs do determine whether we get into heaven or not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Oct 22, 2013 - 3:48PM #10
mainecaptain

Oct 22, 2013 -- 12:32PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

To say that the rules of spirituality that apply to Christianity don't apply to Hinduism or vice versa is like saying the sky can be both blue and green at the same time.  If you go down that road then words have no meaning whatsover.  Communication simply goes off into nowhere.  When God said through Jesus Christ, if you even believe in God, that "no person comes to the Father(God) except through me" that is a mutually exclusive statement.  You either believe it or not.  What applies to one person, whether Christian or Hindu or whatever belief must apply to all.  Our beliefs don't determine who God is and what he is going to do because he has made that clear in the Bible.  However, our beliefs do determine whether we get into heaven or not.

The rules of spirituality that apply to Christianity don't apply to Hinduism or any other pantheon. Christainity is a religion. It follows the god(s) of one particular pantheon.

The rules of Christianity are not going to apply to the gods of any other pantheon,religion or belief system. The rules of Christianty are not going to apply to any other spirituality. It really is simple

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook