Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View So...What would you do if someone gave you God's phone number?
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 4:27PM #31
gorm-sionnach

To clarify, since I went and provided a curt explanation. No, I was not offended; I dont offend easy, least wise from some random individual on the internet.

I was, however, mildly irritated, and that comes from experience. There simply comes a point when one tires of having the "default position" ... well being the default position. However well intentioned the individual was, it continues to serve as a reminder of the imbalance and ignorance of alternative positions.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 4:40PM #32
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jan 25, 2012 -- 12:24PM, Spiritwink wrote:

Jan 25, 2012 -- 12:11PM, wohali wrote:

I don't get that Spiritwink was being in any way insulting or demeaning, just not familiar with how diverse this group tends to be.

Thanks, Wohall. That is true.

And honestly, I felt a little confused at how quickly some folks went to that place of feeling insulted or put down. Learning of the diversity of this group and not having communicated that much with people who are polytheistic has encouraged me to reflect a little.

I honestly don't participate in these forums that much because I don't find them that fruitful compared with actual human face to face dialogue. It seems that people can react far more quickly with unkindness or seeming unkindness compared with respectful open dialogue in person. Call me a sensitive, I guess.

But there is another piece to this. I'd much rather be listening to someone talk about their God or Gods, and how they experience this God or Gods, and encourage them to open up their Godspace to me so that I too am enveloped in it -- however form and belief system they may have. This is what happened when I did the close to 50 interviews for that book. It was a spiritual experience and a joy each time it happened. This is compared to debating God or Gods - and the various beliefs. To me the latter is just words in the head and ways to judge others. The former is sharing the mystical and bringing Divine energy into the conversation.

But that's just me. ;~)

blessings to you all.

For the record, I don't feel insulted or put down.  I hope you didn't get that from what I wrote. 

As far as relating stories of our gods, they are pretty much on this site.  I know it is a big site, but after one has related their story 6 or 7 times, they find there isn't really that much new to say. 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 5:16PM #33
Sacrificialgoddess

Jan 25, 2012 -- 4:40PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Jan 25, 2012 -- 12:11PM, wohali wrote:

I don't get that Spiritwink was being in any way insulting or demeaning, just not familiar with how diverse this group tends to be.

Thanks, Wohall. That is true.

And honestly, I felt a little confused at how quickly some folks went to that place of feeling insulted or put down. Learning of the diversity of this group and not having communicated that much with people who are polytheistic has encouraged me to reflect a little.

I honestly don't participate in these forums that much because I don't find them that fruitful compared with actual human face to face dialogue. It seems that people can react far more quickly with unkindness or seeming unkindness compared with respectful open dialogue in person. Call me a sensitive, I guess.

But there is another piece to this. I'd much rather be listening to someone talk about their God or Gods, and how they experience this God or Gods, and encourage them to open up their Godspace to me so that I too am enveloped in it -- however form and belief system they may have. This is what happened when I did the close to 50 interviews for that book. It was a spiritual experience and a joy each time it happened. This is compared to debating God or Gods - and the various beliefs. To me the latter is just words in the head and ways to judge others. The former is sharing the mystical and bringing Divine energy into the conversation.

But that's just me. ;~)

blessings to you all.

For the record, I don't feel insulted or put down.  I hope you didn't get that from what I wrote. 

As far as relating stories of our gods, they are pretty much on this site.  I know it is a big site, but after one has related their story 6 or 7 times, they find there isn't really that much new to say. 

Here, Here!

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 5:20PM #34
Lilwabbit

But that's just me. ;~)

blessings to you all.

Spiritwink, you seem like a genuinely nice person. A very warm welcome to Bnet!

You might want to check out Andrew Bowen's blog on Bnet. Andrew, during his "Project Conversion", converted into 12 religions in twelve months and was struck by the common spiritual motifs at the core of such seemingly contradictory theologies.

Yahweh, Allah, Goddess

May cleave mountains

May part seas

But never split hairs.

Kindly,

LilWabbit

"All things have I willed for you, and you too, for your own sake."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 6:32PM #35
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jan 25, 2012 -- 5:20PM, Lilwabbit wrote:

But that's just me. ;~)

blessings to you all.

You might want to check out Andrew Bowen's blog on Bnet. Andrew, during his "Project Conversion", converted into 12 religions in twelve months and was struck by the common spiritual motifs at the core of such seemingly contradictory theologies.

Yahweh, Allah, Goddess

May cleave mountains

May part seas

But never split hairs.

Kindly,

LilWabbit

Yeah, but know that we don't all agree with him......;)

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 6:56PM #36
Sacrificialgoddess

Jan 25, 2012 -- 6:32PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

But that's just me. ;~)

blessings to you all.

Yahweh, Allah, Goddess

May cleave mountains

May part seas

But never split hairs.

Kindly,

LilWabbit

Yeah, but know that we don't all agree with him......;)

I personally thought that not only were his "conversions" (sic) next to useless, but he didn't bother to stay with anything long enough to truely understand it. Did more harm than good, in my opinion, by trying to say that this religion was this or that religion was that.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 8:17PM #37
mainecaptain

Jan 25, 2012 -- 4:12PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Jan 25, 2012 -- 3:55PM, Spiritwink wrote:

Jan 25, 2012 -- 3:49PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Spiritwink, perhaps we should start again, hello. I am a polythiest. Multiple gods.

I always get stuck right there in my introduction for loss of words.....LOL

How are you?

Okay. Looks like I offended someone again.

Not sure exactly how, but clearly these communications are at cross purposes.

Peace, all.

blessings. m

*Grins* You didn't offend her. Head over to the discuss Messianic Judaism board if you want to see someone offend her.

:PPPP

I think I am loosing my touch. I thought I was being friendly and welcoming. And yes The MJ board is loads of fun :p

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 9:25PM #38
gorm-sionnach

Yahweh, Allah, Goddess

May cleave mountains

May part seas

But never split hairs.

Kindly,

LilWabbit

My feelings on Mr. Bowens... experiment are a matter of the record, and if these are the "pearls of wisdom" which he gleaned from his experiences, well that proves why I was critical of the project from the get go. Spending a month per religion is far too shallow a depth to glean anything except learning some of the basic tennants. What is more, of course he's going to come to understand how similar all those religions are, he only spent a month on each. It simply isn't enough time to properly adopt, let alone believe in, the perspectives which creates those differences. He spent a year to learn something which anyone can if they do even a cursory examination of the larger world religions and then sprinkled in a few smaller ones: there's a lot in common there. What is necessary is time, experience and understanding in learning that the things which seperate those religions is not hair splitting, but very significant, very incompatable theological perspectives. Of course, this may not have been something Mr. Bowen said at all, and may simply be one individual who followed him's own understanding.

The problem is that people are far too willing to look for the big, over reaching similarities and ignore the smaller details. Those details make all the difference, they are important and simply glossing them over robs them of their very essence.

Of course, these "over arching similarites" I mention are not true of every religion, and that is the crux of my whole argument. One can look for, and find, a lot of similarities between the larger "world religions", for the most part because they are derived from each other. Buddhism is going to have a lot in common with Hinduism, and since Judiasm's holy books are the basis for a great deal of both Christianity's and Islam's texts, there is going to be a lot of overlap. Likewise for later faiths, like Mormanism, Sikhism, Baha'i and Jainism. Sure Wicca is a bit of an outlier in that group, but the specific branch of Wicca was Goddess centred, as opposed to polytheistic.

So when I talk about having an issue with monotheism/monism being a default, and then read about "splitting hairs", it bothers me. Because it utterly minimizes the very real disparity which exists towards those who do not share those views. The unbridgeable chasm which exists between monotheism and polytheism is just that; the two are mutually exclusive theistic perspectives. It isn't splitting hairs, it is a very real, very important differnce. And that really is my only point.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 9:29PM #39
Sacrificialgoddess

Jan 25, 2012 -- 9:25PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Yahweh, Allah, Goddess

May cleave mountains

May part seas

But never split hairs.

Kindly,

LilWabbit

My feelings on Mr. Bowens... experiment are a matter of the record, and if these are the "pearls of wisdom" which he gleaned from his experiences, well that proves why I was critical of the project from the get go. Spending a month per religion is far too shallow a depth to glean anything except learning some of the basic tennants. What is more, of course he's going to come to understand how similar all those religions are, he only spent a month on each. It simply isn't enough time to properly adopt, let alone believe in, the perspectives which creates those differences. He spent a year to learn something which anyone can if they do even a cursory examination of the larger world religions and then sprinkled in a few smaller ones: there's a lot in common there. What is necessary is time, experience and understanding in learning that the things which seperate those religions is not hair splitting, but very significant, very incompatable theological perspectives. Of course, this may not have been something Mr. Bowen said at all, and may simply be one individual who followed him's own understanding.

The problem is that people are far too willing to look for the big, over reaching similarities and ignore the smaller details. Those details make all the difference, they are important and simply glossing them over robs them of their very essence.

Of course, these "over arching similarites" I mention are not true of every religion, and that is the crux of my whole argument. One can look for, and find, a lot of similarities between the larger "world religions", for the most part because they are derived from each other. Buddhism is going to have a lot in common with Hinduism, and since Judiasm's holy books are the basis for a great deal of both Christianity's and Islam's texts, there is going to be a lot of overlap. Likewise for later faiths, like Mormanism, Sikhism, Baha'i and Jainism. Sure Wicca is a bit of an outlier in that group, but the specific branch of Wicca was Goddess centred, as opposed to polytheistic.

So when I talk about having an issue with monotheism/monism being a default, and then read about "splitting hairs", it bothers me. Because it utterly minimizes the very real disparity which exists towards those who do not share those views. The unbridgeable chasm which exists between monotheism and polytheism is just that; the two are mutually exclusive theistic perspectives. It isn't splitting hairs, it is a very real, very important differnce. And that really is my only point.

+100

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 12:18AM #40
mainecaptain

Jan 25, 2012 -- 9:29PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Jan 25, 2012 -- 9:25PM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

+100

In full agreement

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook