Post Reply
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Switch to Forum Live View Derailment from Wrath of thread....
2 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 7:14PM #101
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Posts: 11,634

Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:05PM, Namchuck wrote:


Hey, thanks for that, ATGNWT! I'll try some of that out.





If ya need any help, just ask. 


Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:05PM, Namchuck wrote:


I think the evidence against the existence of gods is very compelling.



I think it's speculative and does not address the issue on a case by case basis. 


Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:05PM, Namchuck wrote:


And people have "personal evidence" for all manner of preposterous claims.





Of course they do, they're people.  That doesn't mean that they are wrong, just that you disagree with them. 




Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:05PM, Namchuck wrote:


Yes, reason (one of the things that particularly makes us human) and logic is almost an optional thing.





If it is one of the things that particularly makes us human, how can it be an optional thing?








Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 7:24PM #102
Namchuck
Posts: 10,795

 









allthegoodnames: "If it is one of the things that particularly makes us human, how can it be an optional thing?"











I meant, by opting for rationality we become uniquely human.


And thanks for your offer of help with the formatting! Very kind of you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 7:33PM #103
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Posts: 11,634

Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:24PM, Namchuck wrote:


I meant, by opting for rationality we become uniquely human.





It should come as no surprise, but I disagree.  I feel that by embracing our intuitive nature, we become better able to function in daily life.  In contrast, a rigid form of rationality is as constricting as many fundamentalist religions. 




Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:24PM, Namchuck wrote:


And thanks for your offer of help with the formatting! Very kind of you.





Looks like you're starting to get the hang of it.  Keep at it. 



It's getting on in the evening here, I'm gonna head out and get something to eat.  See ya tomorrow. 



all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2012 - 7:54PM #104
Namchuck
Posts: 10,795

You wrote, ATHGNWT :




"It should come as no surprise, but I disagree.  I feel that by embracing our intuitive nature, we become better able to function in daily life.  In contrast, a rigid form of rationality is as constricting as many fundamentalist religions." 




It doesn't, but I'm not advocating any sort of "rigid" rationality, only one that remains within evidential boundaries. Intuition, on the other hand, has shown itself to be a very unreliable way to negotiate life.


Thanks again, and see you later.


Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2012 - 11:21AM #105
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Posts: 11,634

Jan 10, 2012 -- 7:54PM, Namchuck wrote:


It doesn't, but I'm not advocating any sort of "rigid" rationality, only one that remains within evidential boundaries. Intuition, on the other hand, has shown itself to be a very unreliable way to negotiate life.





Not all of life remains within evidential boundaries. 


Intuition is less reliable than methodical means, but is often all we have. 


all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook