Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Switch to Forum Live View i have long heard it said " the members of three main monotheistic faiths worship " the same god".
2 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2012 - 12:21PM #101
mainecaptain

Gorm. I think he wants polytheists to feel shame for their beliefs.

While he completely misunderstands the entire thread. Or what I meant by tiring. Which had nothing to do with shame.

The way rush limbaugh tried to make Sandra Fluke feel for defending her friends right to medication.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2012 - 3:11PM #102
Ferretling

The sad thing is, there's nothing to feel shame about.

I'm firmly in the "I don't know" camp. I don't know if there is one god, many gods, or something like the Force and nature spirits/ghosts, or nothing at all. I also realize that, at least in my case, it doesn't really matter. It isn't really relevant to my religious belief.

The way I see it is this: I've never had a religious experience that I have been able to say definitively was not in some way internal. I've had plenty of spiritual experiences. I can firmly say that I do not know whether or not there are any gods.

I look at it this way. If it is important to god/gods for to have my belief in him/her/it/them, then he/she/it/they would have made it evident. God/gods would have made their existence clear, provided evidence that could be interpreted in no other way than the existence of a god or gods. That I do not have such evidence does not prove that there are no gods. It just says to me that my belief is not terribly high on the god-priority list.

Why should I be ashamed of it? I'm not.

But it does get tiresome to be told again and again that your own beliefs are wrong and that X or Y is the truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2012 - 4:29PM #103
mainecaptain

Ferretling you have a good healthy attitude in this matter. If there are gods watching out for you and have not shown themselves, obviously you are doing fine, non-intervention is required. IMNSHO :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2012 - 8:25PM #104
wohali

Well, I see Peter D Roman is now a "prophet".

They do roll through here...............

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook