Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 1:52PM #31
mainecaptain

Dec 11, 2011 -- 1:47PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Maybe, when garage sale season comes round, you should hit a few and see if you can pick up a computer desk and chair for a few dollars. I find that you can get some really good deals at garage sales.

That is a really great idea, thanks :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2011 - 10:03AM #32
Innerpoint

Maybe, when garage sale season comes round, you should hit a few and see if you can pick up a computer desk and chair for a few dollars. I find that you can get some really good deals at garage sales.

LOL!!  Around here, that's 365 days a year!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2011 - 10:14AM #33
Sacrificialgoddess

Dec 12, 2011 -- 10:03AM, Innerpoint wrote:

LOL!!  Around here, that's 365 days a year!

Lol!  Yeah, but Cap's in Maine. I am pretty sure when the snow reaches people's knees, the sales slow a bit.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2011 - 12:06PM #34
Innerpoint

Dec 12, 2011 -- 10:14AM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Lol!  Yeah, but Cap's in Maine. I am pretty sure when the snow reaches people's knees, the sales slow a bit.

Snow?  You mean that white stuff?  Huh!

Cap, I just had another idea - actually, I was just reminded of something as I was sanding the bottoms of my bar-top/workbench...

Have you ever seen pre-made cabinetry?  The kind that usually goes in kitchens and bathrooms.  They're factory made boxes with doors, drawers, and various combinations that are already assembled and ready to hang.  I saw an article in one of the periodicals I get where someone had taken these cabinets and joined them with with strips of wood to hide the joints - and also making bottoms and tops to create furniture.  These pre-made pieces aren't all that expensive and using the drawer slides and some matching plywood (the cabinets are usually oak or birch), you could pretty much make anything, desk-wise, that would be custom tailored for whatever your needs are.  If I can find an online link to that article, I will post it.  It really caught my attention and gave me one of those "d'uh" moments after bracing, measuring, sanding, cutting, assembling and all the other 'good' things that comes along with a complete remodeling job.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2011 - 12:36PM #35
mainecaptain

That is a really neat idea IP, I would welcome the site link if you find it.

And yes, Yards sales dry up at the beginning of October. People start thinking brrrr and chilly, and it puts the cold shoulder on yard salesLaughing

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2011 - 12:59PM #36
Innerpoint

Dec 12, 2011 -- 12:36PM, mainecaptain wrote:

That is a really neat idea IP, I would welcome the site link if you find it.

And yes, Yards sales dry up at the beginning of October. People start thinking brrrr and chilly, and it puts the cold shoulder on yard salesLaughing

>nods<  I found the site - it's www.woodmagazine.com - and it lists the article as Dec/Jan 2011 on page 32 - but there's no link to the actual article.  I've left the magazine at Myst's but I'll find it and bring it home this evening to scan the cover page and some of the things they've done with these cabinets to show you.

Like I said, just another idea that might work.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2011 - 1:07PM #37
mainecaptain

Thank you. I am always seeking ideas that will help my life function more smoothly and less painfully. I appreciate your assistance and interest. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2011 - 3:19PM #38
G.flower

Also, MC, look on Craigs list for your area. My daughter has supplied all the big things for her baby through it and just got a table and 4 chairs. 

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2011 - 11:40PM #39
Innerpoint

Hmmm... two of them are upside down (just in case you didn't notice).  But, the idea is there and the last pictures show different ways of putting them together.  I was considering the kitchen cabinets (with the drawers - not shown in this article) and dropping a leaf a little further down from the top, between two of them, at a comfortable height for a laptop.

With a little imagination, a complete office set-up could be easily done.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2011 - 12:23AM #40
mainecaptain

That is really neat, so pretty too. Thank you IP.

And Gilly thank you :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook