Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 11:02PM #1
mainecaptain
Howdy, I have a totally off topic question, and I am putting it here, because the majority of people I trust are on this board.

I work at a wobbly desk, Not literally, It is actually an antique desk, not made for computer users.  I am killing myself working at it.

Any advice for the proper chair and desk to work. I do transcribing, and Picture editing and my back and neck suffer terribly. I sit here for hours a day.
I can not figure out how to be more comfortable. Particularly on a budget.

Thanks in advance :o)
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 9:53AM #2
peterthesplitfish

Maine,

If you elbows are above your shoulders or parallel to them, you are stressing your upper back and the pain will radiate downward. You can try a different chair that can be raised upward and use a box to get onto it, or you have to get a lower table to work at. I found my shoulders bothering me quite a bit working at my old desk too and raising the chair and lowering the keyboard helped. Also, you have to get up and move every 45 mins or so or your blood pools into your lowest spots and gets cut off. Ever have your butt fall asleep? That is a sure sign too.

As for the wabble, go out a get a door shim from a local home builder supplier and shim up the lowest leg to stop the wabble. Don't start cutting the other legs or you'll end up with a new floor mounted desk...lol.

Peter

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 12:33PM #3
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Email me Cap.  My malpractice insurance complany would not be happy if I diagnosed on line. 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 12:40PM #4
mainecaptain
Thank you, you two, and I did email you at the email address I have for you ALL,
If you have not changed it, you have mail :))
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 12:43PM #5
G.flower

I want to know too, please. I spend hours at a desk ordering books. I've been taking fish oil and it seems to help, plus a massage person suggested I get one of those pillows that supports the neck and sleep on my back. That helps too. I do exercise.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 1:23PM #6
mainecaptain

Gilly I am in the same boat. I must be sitting wrong or something. My chair although an office chair is old.  I know there are supposed to be something one can do to be more healthy. :P

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 2:27PM #7
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Nov 14, 2011 -- 12:43PM, G.flower wrote:

I want to know too, please. I spend hours at a desk ordering books. I've been taking fish oil and it seems to help, plus a massage person suggested I get one of those pillows that supports the neck and sleep on my back. That helps too. I do exercise.

Have you got my email?

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 4:51PM #8
Sacrificialgoddess

I get up and walk around a lot, if that helps.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 5:56PM #9
mainecaptain

I am a tea addict and have a cup of tea in my hands at all times. Which of course means I am up and down too many times an hour. :P

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2011 - 6:25PM #10
G.flower

Nov 14, 2011 -- 2:27PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Nov 14, 2011 -- 12:43PM, G.flower wrote:

Have you got my email?

No, maybe MC could forward your email to me? Or whatever works best.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook