Page 23 of 24  •  Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is there an ultimate truth?
3 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2011 - 11:16AM #221
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Dec 14, 2011 -- 9:28AM, dio wrote:

great thought are you saying reality is all in our head?

I'm not sure you understand the phrase "subjective". 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2012 - 10:54AM #222
river8101

Hi All,

I think the "Ultimate Truth" is that which can be proven to be true.  Science can do that in many instances.  There are some things that cannot be proven, but science and physicians are working on it.  What we can't prove is why religions kill each other and have for centuries.  The only proof we have is that they do it to retain power.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2012 - 4:11PM #223
Sacrificialgoddess

Jan 4, 2012 -- 10:54AM, river8101 wrote:

Hi All,

I think the "Ultimate Truth" is that which can be proven to be true.  Science can do that in many instances.  There are some things that cannot be proven, but science and physicians are working on it.  What we can't prove is why religions kill each other and have for centuries.  The only proof we have is that they do it to retain power.

Once again, the Douglas Adams quote comes to mind:

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2012 - 9:03PM #224
williejhonlo

Jan 4, 2012 -- 4:11PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Hi All,

Once again, the Douglas Adams quote comes to mind:

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

It appears to be here to be lifes little playground.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2012 - 9:23PM #225
williejhonlo

Hi All,

You could say the ultimate truth is that which is compelling you to look for the ultimate truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2012 - 11:53AM #226
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jan 5, 2012 -- 9:23PM, williejhonlo wrote:

You could say the ultimate truth is that which is compelling you to look for the ultimate truth.

What does that feel like?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2012 - 12:20PM #227
mainecaptain

The thing is, I am not compelled to look for any ultimate truth. I really have no interest in any ultimate truth

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2012 - 2:01PM #228
williejhonlo

Jan 6, 2012 -- 11:53AM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Jan 5, 2012 -- 9:23PM, williejhonlo wrote:

What does that feel like?

It feels like wonderment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2012 - 2:17PM #229
williejhonlo

The ultimate truth could be what we are living in.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2012 - 3:47PM #230
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jan 6, 2012 -- 2:01PM, williejhonlo wrote:

It feels like wonderment.

Well that explains the slack jawed vacant stares I see. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 23 of 24  •  Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook