Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why should I adopt your perspective?
3 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2011 - 12:11AM #1
gorm-sionnach
A bit of a different spin on the "why I like being a..." forum, but perhaps it may generate some activity.

I'd like to know why I (or anyone for that matter) should adopt your particular religious view point/ or religion. This is especially for those folks who seem to be unable (or more probably unwilling) to not proselytize.

What benefit will I gain from joining your religion (or adopting your perspective)?
What am I missing out on that you think I ought to have, and only your perspective can supply?

Eternal life?
Truth?
Morality?
Understanding?
Salvation?
Avoiding some eternal torment?
A correct relationship with some other deity?
Making me a better person?

On what basis do you make such judgements?
Why do you think I would have not, upon similar contemplation, reached the same conclusion as you have?

-Gorm.
Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2011 - 8:50AM #2
Sacrificialgoddess
We're the ones with the good ale. ;)
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2011 - 2:50PM #3
G.flower

Well, let's see... some of our groups hold their ceremonies nude, others like fancy dress like robes and crowns and swords, so you are sure to find one that suits you.

We have "cakes and ale" at ceremonies, which can be yummy things plus wine or beer or anything else you might like.

We're big on feasts. :-)

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 12:30AM #4
gorm-sionnach

Alas my dears, the temptation of the nectar of the grape is one wasted upon me, as I do not partake of it, nor of any spirits for that matter.

Not big on ritual nudity, but I do have ready access to many of my own swords (not that I use them in ritual or prayer mind you).

Likewise, feasting is one of the central methods of celebrating the holy days, so already got that one to boot.

If nothing else, you've certainly given the thread a much needed bump. I find it rather odd, however, that while so many are champing at the bit to proselytize, even when they are repeatedly told not to, that when a thread is made specifically for them to tout the merit/ superiority of their beliefs, they are suddenly struck dumb.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 8:48AM #5
Sacrificialgoddess
Well, I had been waiting for others to play, but since no one seemed to want to go first, I thought I would help them along.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2011 - 12:06PM #6
mainecaptain
You're right Gorm, they want to proselytise on their own term,
and apparently and going by their lack of participation against everyone's will.

You by, starting this topic have made it appear we are at least interested in conversation,
it does appear, as I just said, that proselytisers want conflict rather then interested conversation.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2011 - 4:50PM #7
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Nov 13, 2011 -- 12:30AM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Alas my dears, the temptation of the nectar of the grape is one wasted upon me, as I do not partake of it, nor of any spirits for that matter.

Not big on ritual nudity, but I do have ready access to many of my own swords (not that I use them in ritual or prayer mind you).

Likewise, feasting is one of the central methods of celebrating the holy days, so already got that one to boot.

If nothing else, you've certainly given the thread a much needed bump. I find it rather odd, however, that while so many are champing at the bit to proselytize, even when they are repeatedly told not to, that when a thread is made specifically for them to tout the merit/ superiority of their beliefs, they are suddenly struck dumb.

I go to the great outdoors with guns......

It is interesting.  You'd think Pete the Roman would never shut up on this thread......

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2011 - 5:33PM #8
gorm-sionnach

One would think so, but perhaps being a renegade proselytizer is his modus operendi.

Asininity against the world!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2011 - 11:44PM #9
Larosser

Oct 2, 2011 -- 12:11AM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

A bit of a different spin on the "why I like being a..." forum, but perhaps it may generate some activity.

I'd like to know why I (or anyone for that matter) should adopt your particular religious view point/ or religion. This is especially for those folks who seem to be unable (or more probably unwilling) to not proselytize.

What benefit will I gain from joining your religion (or adopting your perspective)?
What am I missing out on that you think I ought to have, and only your perspective can supply?

Eternal life?
Truth?
Morality?
Understanding?
Salvation?
Avoiding some eternal torment?
A correct relationship with some other deity?
Making me a better person?

On what basis do you make such judgements?
Why do you think I would have not, upon similar contemplation, reached the same conclusion as you have?

-Gorm.

Thought provoking question, Gorm, thank you.  The first response that comes to my mind is, "I'm not sure that you should." :) My second thought is that whenever I've thought someone should adopt something from my faith tradition, it's a practice, usually meditation or non-attachment, or maybe adhering to one of the more subtle of the grave precepts, like not indulging in anger or praising themselves at others' expense. And I usually have thoughts like that when an individual is creating distress, either for themselves or someone else. As best as I can tell, you seem reasonable content and benign, so I'm not sure that you ought to try out anything from the buddhist tool kit - unless you're just curious. :)

My third thought (I'm stopping after this one, I promise) is that more often than thinking someone should take up some part of my perspective, I think they should re-examine or discard some part of their own - usually the part that causes them to look down on or oppress others in some way. 

Best

La

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2012 - 10:06PM #10
brent7

Eternal life? Eternal life is something only Jesus can offer you.
Truth? What is truth? I will say that it is found in the scriptures and not in the doctrines of man such as the doctrine of the trinity which is not found in the Bible. The Lord tells us that we will live by every word of God - not the doctrines imposed on God by man or man's understanding. Throw out those doctrines.
Morality? Love God with all your heart, and your neighbor as yourself. On this hang all the law and the prophets.
Understanding?  Comes line upon line, precept upon precept.
Salvation? Is not based upon saying the magic words, but on doing His will. Not every one that sayeth Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but those who doeth the will of the Lord.
Avoiding some eternal torment? Eternal is not forever, but eternal in scope, degree or exquiteness.
A correct relationship with some other deity? There is only one deity to have a relationship with - God, who is one God to us thru Jesus Christ.
Making me a better person? Best achieved by following the Way and overcoming. To him who overcometh shall I give power over the nations... they shall be smitten in pieces, even as I received of my Father.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook