3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 12:46PM #1
Craig_w_dressler
Jesus said in the Gospels, "No person comes to the Father(God) except through me."  In our pluralistic world those words don't set well.  However, all beliefs and beliefs systems can't be true or otherwise nothing would be true.  Having spent about ten years of my life finding out what not to believe I finally turned to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and found the peace and joy I was seeking.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 12:56PM #2
G.flower

Sep 5, 2011 -- 12:46PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

Jesus said in the Gospels, "No person comes to the Father(God) except through me."  In our pluralistic world those words don't set well.  However, all beliefs and beliefs systems can't be true or otherwise nothing would be true.  Having spent about ten years of my life finding out what not to believe I finally turned to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and found the peace and joy I was seeking.

Good for you. I found peace and joy with other gods. I know people who found peace and joy without any gods at all.

I think that it is black/white thinking that only one version of one religion can be right and everyone else is wrong. I think that it is more a case that everyone is attempting to come to some sort of understanding about spirituality and a world view that makes sense to them. As long as they are not hurting themselves or other people I believe that they are on the right spiritual path for them.

As for your remark about no person... through me, that could be true of the Christians... or not. Personally as a non-Christian, I really don't want to end up in the Christian heaven, thank you very much. The afterlife my gods have planned for me suits me better.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2011 - 2:05PM #3
mainecaptain

I am sure this guy did this before.

So I will say again, yes most beliefs can be right. The only beliefs that are in error are the ones that claim they are the only right way.

Those who claim everyone else is wrong.

Keep in mind not everyone wants to go to your father we have other wonderful places to be.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2011 - 9:58AM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

This thread doesn't seem particularly applicable to faith transitions.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2011 - 12:34PM #5
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Sep 5, 2011 -- 12:46PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

You seem to have a misconception.  Well, at least one.  I have heard it said by those that seek to justify that all paths lead to the same place, that all paths lead up the mountain.  This is assuming a monotheistic reality.  One where there is only one mountain to climb to the summit.  You're "Jesus" may have said that no one comes to the father except through him.  He may even have been right.  The kicker is, I and others of different religions are not trying to get to the same place that you are.  I am not climbing a different path up the same mountain as you.  There are many mountains, and many paths up them.  Just because I'm going up a path on a mountain does not mean that we are on the same mountain.  You can keep your father. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook