Page 107 of 131  •  Prev 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 ... 131 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What is the "Wrath of God?"
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 1:12PM #1061
Ken

Apr 15, 2012 -- 12:59PM, NjoyAADAirbrush wrote:

Whisper01, ever hear of "tough love," that one does to keep someone else from danger?

For example: A small child runs in the road to on coming traffic, a parent grabs the child then swats them on the behind, and gives a stern voice to them, preventing the death and reoccurrence!

The Word of God, is that swat on the behind, warning about the Wrath of God, and how to keep from it; in other words "Tough Love!"

God cares, so He warns and instructs us!

But, according to you, God is warning us about his own bad temper. If he cared, he wouldn't lose his temper in the first place.

The whole idea of an omnipotent deity having emotions is theologically crude.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 1:13PM #1062
G.flower

Whisper01, ever hear of "tough love," that one does to keep someone else from danger?

For example: A small child runs in the road to on coming traffic, a parent grabs the child then swats them on the behind, and gives a stern voice to them, preventing the death and reoccurrence!

The Word of God, is that swat on the behind, warning about the Wrath of God, and how to keep from it; in other words "Tough Love!"

But fools despise knowledge and instruction.

In Christ,

Nancy

If Yahweh is the only god, then he has blessed me with a wonderful life. He must like what I'm doing.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 1:13PM #1063
Ken

Apr 15, 2012 -- 1:12PM, G.flower wrote:

It is a very sad way to live, I must admit. I trust a number of people. I believe the trick is to know the difference between people you can trust and those you can't.

Nancy doesn't like anybody. And it shows.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 7:52PM #1064
Namchuck

[/quote]

NjoyREPLY>>>>The pendulum swings both ways.

Very insightful observation.

I just happen to BELIEVE in Freedom of Speech, God's Word and all!

Yes, but one only believes when one does not know.

I don't believe in stifling someone because of what they believe; but many here differ from that!

You appear to think that healthy criticism of silly beliefs is somehow an attempt to "stifle" free speech. 

The Word of God speaks for itself!

Well, there is no compelling evidence that the Bible is the Word of God. In fact, the Bible is probably the greatest witness that no such deity as the one it pretends to reveal exists.

Referring to it in writing is all I do.

You cherry-pick it, which has always been the disposition of Christians, which is why there is so much debate - some of it vitriolic - among them as to what it's actually saying.

I love and TRUST God, NOT man or woman!

Weird, that, as there is no doubt that men and women exist. There is no good reason to think that your God does.

In Christ,

Nancy

[/quote]

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 8:26PM #1065
mainecaptain

Tough love is not abusive, what some describe the Abrahamic god as willing to do is not tough love, but all out tyranny, abuse and evil. Nothing worth worshipping.

And I have been exceptionally blessed to be able to love, and have loved and do some a few incredible people.  People I am devoted to.  People that aided me in self esteem and courage. among other things.

Corny as it sounds, love is what I live for, literally.

What a terrible life would be to have no love or trust in people at all. I don't trust everyone, but a few people and I am open to do so. it would be a very bleak life not to love or trust. A wasted one as well.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 8:29PM #1066
mainecaptain

A life without love and trust would be a tiny, tight dark box. Suffocating and unbearable, IMHO

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 9:18PM #1067
Namchuck

Apr 15, 2012 -- 8:26PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Tough love is not abusive, what some describe the Abrahamic god as willing to do is not tough love, but all out tyranny, abuse and evil. Nothing worth worshipping.

And I have been exceptionally blessed to be able to love, and have loved and do some a few incredible people.  People I am devoted to.  People that aided me in self esteem and courage. among other things.

Corny as it sounds, love is what I live for, literally.

What a terrible life would be to have no love or trust in people at all. I don't trust everyone, but a few people and I am open to do so. it would be a very bleak life not to love or trust. A wasted one as well.

All points well articulated, Mainecaptain, and I concur with everyone of them!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 9:44AM #1068
Whisper01

Apr 15, 2012 -- 12:53PM, NjoyAADAirbrush wrote:

The pendulum swings both way

Yes indeed it does. In fact it swings all ways and that it dirrectly my (amoung others) point, there are many ways to see things, not just one way.

Excellent! Commendable!

I don't believe in stifling someone because of what they believe; but many here differ from that!

Do they? Have you actually looked in the mirror of late?

Actually it does not. That is a social statement like "The Pontiac G6 speaks for itself" and everyone is supposed to get it that the message of the designers is the car itself, look upon it and be amazed. But a car does not speak for itself and either do books. People on the other hand do!

That's not exactly true. You quote scripture and then go on to explain what it means to you and often, very often, it means something that is derogatory to others. You interpret scripture and its a dark interpretation. 

I TRUST God and man. For Man is Gods construct and it worthy of love and trust. People need People Nancy, for without them you are alone. Think about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 10:09AM #1069
Whisper01

Yes indeedy-do  I know about "tough love", I've had many doses applied :-). But the problem with this new (and good) theory and your older ones is that no body I've ever known about has ever applied "tough love" and killed the target of such love. If you "hate" and "despise" the person you are applying "tough love" to then there is no love involved at all.  Love is used in correction beecause you love the person. I like your new tact, keep on that track and you'll learn about love!

Yes, a swat. A reprimand. A scolding. The reprimand is done out of love, but to hate recipient because of the transgression is counter-intuative. To kill them is pointless. Does this make sense?

The Word of God is Christ and Christ did have rebuke for some actions. But to hate and destroy the ones you are trying to save is pointless. There is no love in it.

Yes in-deed he does.

But fools despise knowledge and instruction.

Ah, but Nancy your a fool too ya know? You, like all human beings, despise some knowledge and instruction. To wit: You preach hatred and despite by God of his children. This act can only make the father angry. Hint: Love your fellow man, learn to trust outside of yourself, learn to talk "with" others instead of "at" others. It takes time, but starting today brings a better tomorrow.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 11:51AM #1070
MysticWanderer

Apr 16, 2012 -- 9:44AM, Whisper01 wrote:

Apr 15, 2012 -- 12:53PM, NjoyAADAirbrush wrote:

The pendulum swings both way

Yes indeed it does. In fact it swings all ways and that it dirrectly my (amoung others) point, there are many ways to see things, not just one way.

Excellent! Commendable!

Do they? Have you actually looked in the mirror of late?

Actually it does not. That is a social statement like "The Pontiac G6 speaks for itself" and everyone is supposed to get it that the message of the designers is the car itself, look upon it and be amazed. But a car does not speak for itself and either do books. People on the other hand do!

That's not exactly true. You quote scripture and then go on to explain what it means to you and often, very often, it means something that is derogatory to others. You interpret scripture and its a dark interpretation. 

I TRUST God and man. For Man is Gods construct and it worthy of love and trust. People need People Nancy, for without them you are alone. Think about it.

Well said Whisper.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 107 of 131  •  Prev 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 ... 131 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook