Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View If it is impossible for the plethora of religious beliefs to be true, which is correct?
3 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2011 - 3:05PM #1
Craig_w_dressler
There is more archaeological, linguistic and historical evidence that backs up the validity of the Bible than any other ancient text. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2011 - 4:02PM #2
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Aug 1, 2011 -- 3:05PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

There is more archaeological, linguistic and historical evidence that backs up the validity of the Bible than any other ancient text. 

I beg to differ

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2011 - 4:48PM #3
mainecaptain

I am going to respond to the title of this thread.

"If it is impossible for the plethora of religious beliefs to be true, which is correct?"

It is not impossible for a variety of religious beliefs to be true. They only time a belief proves to be completely untrue is when it starts claiming to be the only truth. Which it can not be.

There is no proof that anything super natural mentioned in the bible is true and no it can not be proved archaeologically, linguistically and historically.

You can prove villages existed, you can prove human beings lived there. None of the bibles religious ideas can be proven as true, the only thing that can be proven is that people held religious ideas.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2011 - 10:51AM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

What is up with all this, "my religion has to be true for everyone" crap?  I mean, UPG people!  Just because whatever book is your preference is not absolutely correct in every last bit doesn't make it true!

Myth is the attempt to put into words what cannot be said.  If it speaks to you, then yay!  If it doesn't, leave it.  And kindly allow other people the courtesy of making the same decision for themselves.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2011 - 3:41PM #5
wohali

"There is more archaeological, linguistic and historical evidence that backs up the validity of the Bible than any other ancient text. "

I rather doubt that.

Here to sell more books, are ya?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 4:44AM #6
Jm8

At school there're various textbooks for various grades; all are true yet of a different information level. The same goes for spiritual texts, as per the Vedic view.

Scholarship related to the Bible is the largest, i.e. no other text was studied that much.
Its validity doesn't preclude validity of others though. Monopoly on spirituality is a strange idea.

I don't think Craig will reply. At least he never did to me before. Most Gospel preachers are content simply to announce their message to the maximum quantity of listeners.

Hope this helps. Hare Krsna
Your servant, bh. Jan

www.vrindavan-dham.com
www.veda.harekrsna.cz

dvaitaM bandhAya mokSAt prAk prApte bodhe manISayA
bhaktyarthaM kalpitam dvaitaM advaitAd api sundaram

"Duality is bondage before moksa and wisdom after realization. The duality accepted for the purpose of bhakti is sweeter than even non-duality." (from mangalacarana to Advaitasiddhi sara sangraha by Madhusudana Sarasvati, former advaitin)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2011 - 6:36PM #7
Aussiesoul

Aug 1, 2011 -- 4:48PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I am going to respond to the title of this thread.

"If it is impossible for the plethora of religious beliefs to be true, which is correct?"

It is not impossible for a variety of religious beliefs to be true. They only time a belief proves to be completely untrue is when it starts claiming to be the only truth. Which it can not be.

There is no proof that anything super natural mentioned in the bible is true and no it can not be proved archaeologically, linguistically and historically.

You can prove villages existed, you can prove human beings lived there. None of the bibles religious ideas can be proven as true, the only thing that can be proven is that people held religious ideas.

Excellent post mainecaptain. I agree with every word.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2011 - 5:25AM #8
river8101

Aug 1, 2011 -- 3:05PM, Craig_w_dressler wrote:

Sorry, no buy.  Maine is absolutely right.

The question of an actual historical bible, or Qu'ran or other religious writings rarely confronts the religious believer. The power of faith has so forcefully driven the minds of most believers, and even apologetic scholars, that the question of reliable evidence gets obscured by tradition, religious subterfuge, and outrageous claims.

Since Craig is a Christian, I will address his historical evidence.

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from the writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus came well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, the information and dates show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources about Jesus derive from hearsay accounts.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2011 - 7:03AM #9
river8101

[Craig writes: "There is more archaeological, linguistic and historical evidence that backs up the validity of the Bible than any other ancient text."[/quote]

Nonsense.  Utter nonsense.  Imo, Craig never reads, cares, or listens to any differences, scholastic, anthropological, archaeological, historical or otherwise that oppose his beliefs.  He posts and leaves.   This confirms my beliefs, once again, that most all "so called - fundamentalist "born again" Christians" have little interest in the study of science or other religions seriously  nor listen with an open mind to opposing positions about their beliefs.  In such a case what other position could they come up with except only theirs must be right?   They read the bible literally rather than allegorically, metaphorically, or historically, and think all the myths and stories written in their book were absolutely true and written by or under the direction of their God.  But for such belief there is only faith, but no proof.  Unfortunately many fundamentalists do not know the difference nor do they care if there is.

Though some instances written in the bible are backed up here and there, real anthropological and historical evidence does NOT back up the validity of the Bible. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 7:05PM #10
Lookbeyond

Ever heard of the "Dead Sea Scrolls"? If one needs factual evidence in all religious beliefs, they will never find truth, for the things of God can only be known by the Spirit of God, and the Holy Ghost.....but then this is hard for anyone devoid of the spirit to recognize or understand. 

2 Timothy 3:1-17 speaks of apostasy and perilous time of the last days........and describes the value of te scriptures. 

That the Bible has endured as a record of God's dealings with man since the Garden, is evidence to me that God has had a hand in preserving them for us for He knows of their importance and value in helping us find our way through the countless number of religions; doctrines; dogmas etc......

1 Peter 1:7-9 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: 8. Whom having not see, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not; yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory; 9. Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls. 

No physical evidence proving the Bible is true is necessary for those who have faith in God.....without faith it is impossible to know and understand the things of God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook