Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View PR: Prophet Claims God Has Responded to Crisis in Japan
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 5:13PM #21
farragut

The future is not in the habit of being what it was.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 5:40PM #22
DotNotInOz

Mar 30, 2011 -- 8:12PM, jane2 wrote:

One of my favorite pictures is of the Dalai Lama visiting the grave of Thomas Merton. I read Merton's SEVEN STOREY MOUNTAIN as a junior in an elite Catholic School. He is one of my favorite writers on faith thinking. Somehow he electrocuted himself on 220 watt circuitry while conferring with Thai monks near Bangkok--he was a Trappist monk himself then.

I've read that and several other of Merton's books, Jane. His writing is not only more lucid and really worth a reading than this swill of Summers', but the man himself was a model human in many ways. For one thing, it takes real dedication to be a Trappist and not just a monk in one of the most challenging orders but one granted permission to set up and live in a hermitage as Merton did for some time. A year or more as I recall. 

Notably, Merton never claimed to be transmitting messages from God either. That alone makes his wisdom human and more valuable to me for its humility.

Edited to add this link to a description of the circumstances of Merton's death by his close friend, John Howard Griffin, better known as the author of Black Like Me. WARNING: It is a graphic description, anyone tending to queasiness.

www.ralphmag.org/FB/mertons-death.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 6:53PM #23
Christianlib

Dot,

Griffin himself later died kind of horribly, if more slowly, from cancers and other problems induced by the chemicals, internal and external, he had used to make himself appear black for his famous book.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 7:01PM #24
DotNotInOz

Mar 31, 2011 -- 6:53PM, Christianlib wrote:

Dot,

Griffin himself later died kind of horribly, if more slowly, from cancers and other problems induced by the chemicals, internal and external, he had used to make himself appear black for his famous book.

Yes, I recall reading that, but thanks for adding it for those who may not know.

Anyone who's never read Black Like Me really should. It's still a revolutionary work despite the enormous social changes since those highly segregated times.

I'm fossilized enough to recall being shocked by "Whites Only" signs on restrooms and drinking fountains, not to mention prominently posted in restaurant windows oftentimes, when my family traveled through Kentucky to Virginia in 1960. Segregation was far more invisible where I grew up in a lily white little town in Northwest Kansas, so much so that I naively thought we didn't do awful things like that. Little did I know...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 10:45AM #25
mytmouse57

What's the average salary for a prophet?

I mean, not that I don't love what I'm doing now. But, it would also be nice to not have to actually work for a living.

Plus, I think one could be a prophet mostly from home. So, no need to commute or spend so much time away from the family.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 2:16PM #26
JB4040

Mar 31, 2011 -- 2:16PM, Paravani wrote:

Hi, All!  Hi, Dave!

Wow, Dave, living out in the wilderness as you do, I'd have thought you'd have seen a UFO by now!

Geez, about half of everybody I know has seen a UFO...  even my mother, and that woman has NO imagination whatsoever.

Mar 31, 2011 -- 1:40PM, mountain_man wrote:

You do know that all crop circles are man made, don't you? They're all hoaxes, teen pranks, bored college students, etc. Doug Bower and Dave Chorley, from England, came up with the idea in the early 1980's.

When my husband and I met over 25 years ago, we were friends with Peter Davenport, who now runs NUFORC, the National UFO Reporting Center.  Peter is about as conventional and conservative as they come.  Although the place where we all met was a hippie hangout, I've never seen Peter in anything more casual than a business suit.  He spent a couple of years working in military intelligence when he was young, and my theory is that something he learned during that time (of which he never speaks) convinced him that we are not alone in the universe.  UFOs have been his passionate hobby ever since. 

Way back when in the '80s, he'd tell my hubbie and I about various things he'd seen during his weekend pursuits.  For instance, he told us of a 3-foot-wide plug of earth that had been pulled out of a farmer's field overnight -- it was 300 feet long, and unbroken!

He also showed us "crop circle" grass from a circle in Washington state, and it definitely wasn't bent with boards and string.  It isn't broken -- it's crooked because the growth on one side of the grass has been influenced somehow to be greater than on the other.

My daughter and her boyfriend saw a UFO hovering over last 4th of July's fireworks show...  and last Fall, my friend Mark (another person with no imagination) saw a UFO emerging from the ocean at night on the Oregon coast.  It was so close to him that he felt the warm backdraft when it took off!

Then there's the saucer my friend Brian and his girlfriend saw at close range while necking at the local "Lover's Leap", and the needleship I saw in the sky over Austin, TX. 

Ask around, Dave.  Or better yet, read some of the reports at the NUFORC website!

Love,

-- Claudia

You may want to listen to this teaching from the New Message entitled "Contact with Intelligent Life in the Universe" 

video/audio: www.newmessage.org/speaks/contact.php or 

Text/audio: newmessage.org/ee/index.php/special-teac...

One of the main reasons why the New Message from God is here is because humanity is being visited by ETs. We do not know what is happening, what life is like beyond our world, and how to prepare. The New Message provides this for us. 

This really resonates with me because I have seen UFOs and met people who have been abducted. I have seen the "new age" garbage coming from ET sources and their advocates. Now I understand what is happening and I know that ET intervention should be opposed by a united humanity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 2:19PM #27
mountain_man

Apr 5, 2011 -- 2:16PM, JB4040 wrote:

You may want to listen to this teaching from the New Message entitled "Contact with Intelligent Life in the Universe" ...

One of the main reasons why the New Message from God is here is because humanity is being visited by ETs. ...

You have just provided positive proof the guy is not mentally stable and needs seriously needs to see a competent mental healthcare provider.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 3:00PM #28
DotNotInOz

From the supposed "New Message": Some people think that with advanced technology, you can overcome such obstacles. But biological contamination is a very serious problem within the context of visiting other worlds, particularly worlds where there is biological diversity that is foreign from your own native world. It is a problem of great significance in the universe amongst races that travel and engage in the complex array of involvements with other worlds.

How gratifying that God has gotten much smarter than He was back when the Spanish conquistadores and British missionaries inflicted measles and other diseases upon the natives of the Americas and Hawaii respectively.

Since humans cannot catch most diseases of other species, I can certainly understand why extraterrestrials would need to be wary of succumbing to human diseases. [sarcasm alert!]Oh, but I forget that we're descended from extraterrestrials who came from the Pleiades. Silly me! So, obviously, ET's currently visiting our planet must be really cautious. Which, I'm sure, is why we keep hearing about their abducting humans...real cautious.

Sheesh! I cannot comprehend how anyone can think this stuff is from God unless as Dave points out the person is as delusional as Summers appears to be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 3:05PM #29
TPaine

Apr 5, 2011 -- 2:19PM, mountain_man wrote:

Apr 5, 2011 -- 2:16PM, JB4040 wrote:

You may want to listen to this teaching from the New Message entitled "Contact with Intelligent Life in the Universe" ...

One of the main reasons why the New Message from God is here is because humanity is being visited by ETs. ...

You have just provided positive proof the guy is not mentally stable and needs seriously needs to see a competent mental healthcare provider.

Perhaps if Summers hasn't run out of funny cigarettes he could get God to inform him how the extra-terrestrials manage to exceed the speed of light which would be necessary to travel across the vast inter-stellar distances.

This whole discussion caused me to remember the Twilight Zone episode in which aliens visited earth and brought about world peace among other things, then offered people trips to their world. They left behind a book in their language titled How To Serve Man. As the protagonist was entering the spaceship to make the trip a lady translator ran up and just a bit too late called out, "Don't go, it's a cookbook!"

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 3:10PM #30
DotNotInOz

Apr 5, 2011 -- 3:05PM, TPaine wrote:

Perhaps if Summers hasn't run out of funny cigarettes he could get God to inform him how the extra-terrestrials manage to exceed the speed of light which would be necessary to travel across the vast inter-stellar distances.

They've perfected a deviceless transporter. "Beam me up, Akablark!"

Silly you, Tpaine, not to have realized that must be how they get here and back home again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook