Switch to Forum Live View Why I like being an Atheist
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 2:50AM #1
Hodler

I find that most people only ever see one side of things, but being Atheist (a true atheist) means that you're aware of more then one(usually several) teachings of religion. I'm not Atheist just because I don't agree with Christianity, or Catholicism. I'm Atheist because I don't agree with any religion I've heard of and researched.

Having an opinion without reason for it is ignorance. However if you're religious because you truely beleive, because you've tried other things and it makes more sense to you, then I applaud you. But some people stand by their faith blindly, and only see the good religion has done and ignore the bad and claim it's never happened. If you're aware of the bad, and stand by it with reason; again, I applaud you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 8:08PM #2
Agnosticspirit

Hallo Holder, welcome to Beliefnet! I've often told folk I'm not who I am because I'm an atheist... I'm an atheist because of who I am. :) 

Kind regards, 

AS

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 8:31PM #3
Sacrificialgoddess

Dec 13, 2010 -- 8:08PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Hallo Holder, welcome to Beliefnet! I've often told folk I'm not who I am because I'm an atheist... I'm an atheist because of who I am. :) 

Kind regards, 

AS

I thought you were agnostic?  Embarassed

Confused now.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 13, 2010 - 8:50PM #4
Agnosticspirit

Hi SG, nice to see you howya doing?

Actually, a more complete definition of my theological take is agnostic atheist. 

Agnostic = without knowledge

atheist = lack of belief in deity(ies)

That usually detracts from discussion at hand, so I generally shorten it to atheist. Without certain knowledge, I still have no reason to accept the existence of god(dess) so I'm basically a plain jane atheist. :) Unlike some atheists, I accept agnosticism as a valid position when it comes to the existence of deity(ies). Agnostics have frequently been accused of wishy-washy fence sitting, to their detriment. There is nothing wrong with accepting that at this point, there really is no way to know.  

My screenname more accurately describes my approach to many subjects ---- by embracing lack of knowledge until I learn more about any given topic, it's a more honest approach to the unknown (assuming one is willing to learn something new) IMO, it's far better to know that you don't know and continue to ask questions than to assume you know what you don't know and stop asking them. 

Have a great day, 

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook