Switch to Forum Live View Searching for Faith
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2010 - 10:05PM #1
Callsignowl

I've noticed many others asking similar questions, so I hope I do not sound like a broken record, but I am at a loss with what to do with my spiritual life. I come from a Christian upbringing, but not Jesus-centered. My home was actually pretty secular for the holidays, with  God hardly being mentioned. As such, I grew up with out much belief in Jesus, and for a long time doubted the existance of God.  My mind fully agrees with the teachings of science and logic, but a little part in my heart longs for a spirtual connection.

I am in college now, and am getting intruduced to new ideas. I've come to believe in god, but not in Christ. Which is hard for some of my family. Some of them are VERY Catholic.... With all the religoius people around me (I live in Nebraska FYI) I feel as if I am missing something by not having a religion to belong to. I do not believe in Jesus the Savior, thus Christianity is a no for me. I am not drawn to any Eastern belief system or Islam. I took the Belief-O-matic quiz, and with 100 percent (!!!) got Reform Judaism!  WHich i thought as odd considering I've not met many Jews at all.

If anyone has suggestions as to what I can do to help me with my search, It would be greatly appriciated. Thanks,

OWL

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2010 - 10:56PM #2
belleo

I was brought up in a Roman Catholic home also . I suffered much abuse . I have come to the realization that most of what went on was because of poverty and ignorance. I did ascribe to God the characteristics  of the people I grew up with . Obviously they were not perfect . God is perfect .

For a long time my heart was not in my church . I started to grow when I started to talk to God that is what prayer is all about . In time I melted . My heart was no longer imprisoned because of the way I was brought up .   Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2010 - 8:56AM #3
Sacrificialgoddess

I suggest you do the work.  It's a pain in the butt, royally, but in the end, you will have exactly what you believe, and, more importantly, why you believe it. 

Get a notebook.  Keep it with you at all times.  Write down everything you believe, when you think of it.  If you believe in one god, write it down.  If you believe in the power of orange knickers, write it down.  Write it all down.  If you have a reason you believe something, well write that down, too. Some of this stuff won't matter a hill of beans.  The fact that you believe that it should be illegial to eat baked potatoes without butter, for a completely random and fake example, probably won't affect your religion choices at all.  But write it all down.  This is a book of you, after all. You probably won't ever be done with this notebook, btw, but don't half-ass it. This is you, after all, and if you aren't important enough to study the right way, then what is?

Anyway, as you go, learn a bit about the various religions.  If they believe something you don't, then you can knock them out of the running easy peasy.  If one seems attractive to you, then spend more time on that religion, and write the stuff down that you learn and is important to you, too. 

It is tedious stuff, this, but when as you go, you will be more confident in you, your religion, and what is wrong and right to you. 

Best of luck.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2010 - 1:06PM #4
mainecaptain

That is very good advice SG, your are very right, by writing it down you help solidify what you really believe and what is truly important. Makes a nice base

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2010 - 1:14PM #5
Callsignowl

THe writing-down of my values and beliefs does sound like a good way to begin refining my search, Thank you! Does anyone else have another suggestion? I have a very questioning mind and like to know all the details of a specific subject.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2010 - 2:04PM #6
gorm-sionnach

I would suggest, upon acting on SG's suggestion, that you perform a cursory examination of the kind of religions which you believe would work for you. This way, you can narrow your focus without having to do a great deal of research on every religion outright. Find the basic tennants, the core teachings, and the philosophies of those which appeal to you, and only then dig deeper.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 7:05PM #7
Bob_Bennett

Hi,

Finding a church that agrees with your fledgling beliefs may be a lot less important than finding one that will teach you some reasonable beliefs. i.e. one that will stretch your mind.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook