Switch to Forum Live View Searching for Spirituality, in a non-religious apprach. I'm not sure which one suits me?
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 11:13PM #1
plurchild

I am highly interested in energy, chakras, auras, non-violence, peace, yoga, meditation. I have a hard time meditating, because I have a 4 month old son, so I can't focus on meditations as frequently...

I don't believe in religion, but I believe that WE make our own choices. We may have guides that help us, but WE are ultimately in charge of our lives. No God helps us, but perhaps answers lie in spiritual awakening. I don't really rely on nature... but I am not educated in the subject.

What spiritual practice seems fitting for me? What are some options?

I think of Buddhism and Hinduism of more spiritual practices, than religions... Please give me some feedback, I need to know so that I can grow to who I'm suppoused to be. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2010 - 4:29PM #2
mainecaptain

Welcome to the forum. I do not have much time now, but will come back to reread your post. There are a lot of different types here, I feel certain when they get here you will have many interesting view points.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2010 - 9:15PM #3
Sacrificialgoddess
I am not sure how you are differenciating between the two.
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2010 - 11:17AM #4
allthegoodnamesweretaken

I think the OP is only trapped into only considering the monothiestic viewpoint as "religious". 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2010 - 11:23PM #5
in_my_opinion

Well, a five month old is always a handful. If, you want to meditate; let it be suggested that you throw away various preconceived notions of how it must be done.

Here is an example.

Suppose one person can't sleep because the ocean sounds distract and another soul perceives them as a lullaby. Who will suffer sleepless, and who gets the resful sleep?

Nothing is easy but nothing is impossible. Make the circumstances of your everyday life the rhythm of your spiritual growth. Deliberately put a smile on and seek to feel joy at your sacrifice of your living hours. (To sacrifice, means to "make sacred".)

The effort of caring for your child wrapped in the love of that effort and entwined with the natural love of a parent works very well. It may seem simple and maddeningly difficult, but just trying it is rewarding. It also sets an example for the baby that will last for generations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 07, 2010 - 10:27AM #6
Andrewbowen

Plurchild,

These are good questions. A Jainist friend of mine once told me that Hinduism is the United States of America of philosophy. By this he meant that Hinduism is a vast religious/philosophical landscape that encompasses many traditions. In fact, according to him, many religious icons like Jesus and the Buddha are viewed in Hinduism as avatars of Brahman (supreme being/god/existance in Hinduism).

So what might this mean for you? Because you don't prescribe to a particular faith or enjoy the idea of organized religioin itself, then you might actually find a good home in some of the faiths/philosophies of the Indian subcontinent. Buddhism for example can be as spiritual or philosophical (some of the zen schools) as you like. Hinduism itself is such a diverse faith that the mere act of exploration is viewed as a form of devotion.

Yogic practices within both faiths are an attempt to quiet the mind and allow one's self to connect with both the inner and outer world. Unlike what we veiw traditionally as prayer where things or blessing might be asked for (there are of course, many forms of prayer that aren't like this) meditation is a mostly quiet form of facilitated exploration.

So don't be affraid to look around and find what works. As J.R.R. Tolkien said, "Not all those who wonder are lost."

Peace,

Andrew Bowen

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2011 - 6:54PM #7
Bob_Bennett

Hi Plurchild,

Have you tried Googling on auras or chakras?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook