Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Buddhist Temple near Ground Zero
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 3:56PM #1
Crowhed

Anyone take issue with that?

Cuz as far as I can tell, the Imam for Park51 is Sufi. About as far from the kind of 'Islam' that created Ground Zero as Unitarians are from Southern Baptists. OK, maybe Episcopalians from Southern Baptists...

So would anyone be offended by a Buddhist Temple? Because it would be about as related to the terrorists as Sufism.

“We are all without god – some of us just happen to be aware of it.” Monica Salcedo (Does anyone know who this is?)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:06PM #2
mecdukebec
I would be concerned only that the wingnuts who protest might consider those "funny clothes" Buddhist monks wear to be "Mooslim" and therefore needing a good thrashing, in the name of God (the real one:  Not the atheist deity the Gautama Buddha worshipped). 

This is a Christian country, byjingo:  Just ask the Jews. 

(Sarcasm. Off.)

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:12PM #3
appy20

A Christian is a A Christian Is A Christian.

A Muslim is A Muslin is A Muslim

A Buddhist is neither.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:19PM #4
Agnosticspirit

Hi crowhed, do you have a link to support this topic as a current event suitable for This forum? Are you referring to a new Buddhist temple around ground zero or one that already exists? 

Please provide a link to support this.... otherwise I'll need to move this to another forum.

Thanks,

AS

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:37PM #5
Do_unto_others

Um, it's a hypothetical AS. Used to illustrate a point.

S-T-R-E-T-C-H yourself, eh?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:38PM #6
Crowhed

Sep 3, 2010 -- 4:19PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Hi crowhed, do you have a link to support this topic as a current event suitable for This forum? Are you referring to a new Buddhist temple around ground zero or one that already exists? 

Please provide a link to support this.... otherwise I'll need to move this to another forum.

Thanks,

AS

Hi AS-

This is more of a snarky observation that the Park51 mosque has as much in common with the terrorism of 911 as buddhist monks. The imam is Sufi, a sect which Islamists are happy to kill.

The hot topic is folks being outraged by the Sufi's 'insensitivity' building so close to ground zero, when they are the targets of the same kind of terrorism.

I think it's shamefully unAmerican to oppose any group's free (and legal) expression of religion, but to claim that they are being insensitive when they are just as much the victims of terrorism from the same people that blew up the towers is disingenuous at best. We should be encouraging them, not picketing them.

If anyone doesn't have a problem with hypothetical Buddhists building a temple there, then there shouldn't be a problem with Sufi's renovating a mosque. Neither have anything to do with Al-Qaeda.

“We are all without god – some of us just happen to be aware of it.” Monica Salcedo (Does anyone know who this is?)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:47PM #7
Agnosticspirit

Hi Crowed, snarky observations are permitted here on HTZ but it's not suitable as a topic unless a current event is referenced. I'll move this over to the religious tolerance forum. 

Thanks,

AS

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:49PM #8
Agnosticspirit

Sep 3, 2010 -- 4:37PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Um, it's a hypothetical AS. Used to illustrate a point.

S-T-R-E-T-C-H yourself, eh?

R-E-A-D the local guidelines, hmm? Threads started on HTZ forum need to reflect a current event with a supporting link. Check sticky threads at the top of this forum for more details, let me know if you need additional assistance in understanding them. Wink

AS

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:52PM #9
appy20

I grew up Southern Baptist Christian. One reason I rejected it is because of its fringe element and the mainstream of the church that pretty much "understands" the fringe element.  This Imam "understands" the anger of the Islams who did bomb the WTC.  

If you really think something is wrong, you don't affiliate yourself with the organization no matter what the organization is.  You certainly do not "understand" why the violence took place.  

Oh, I am not outraged by the cultural center. I merely think it rude.  I have the right to free speech and thought too.  I believe rudeness is a constitutional right under many circumstances as long as the all laws are upheld.  So, I support their right to build. I just think it rude and laughable that they call it healing.  I believe it is more of a smirk.  Which they have the right to do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 4:55PM #10
Agnosticspirit

This thread has been moved from the Hot Topics Forum. Rules on HTZ are a little looser... personal insults and "snark" is permitted... Although personal insults are permitted, that doesn't make it right to respond with personal insults. 

There's a difference between having the right to do something and whether or not something is right to do. 

Local guidelines will be enforced going forward.

--- agnosticspirit - Bnet Community cohost HTZ

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook