Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Petition Against Dove World Koran Burning
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2010 - 12:58PM #11
NATAS

Oct 3, 2010 -- 1:03PM, TPaine wrote:

Thank you for responding, NATAS

Your welcome Tom

Oct 3, 2010 -- 11:40AM, NATAS wrote:

That is an excellent response. I wish more people would believe in having evidence before making an accusation although I admit to making the same mistake in Reverend Jones' case.

Even I make mistakes.

Wilbur claimed that:

Freedom of religion is a founding principle of our Constitution and the burning of any people's sacred texts is in direct opposition to this principle."

Phrase  A is accurate, Phrase B is inaccurate.

Prohibiting the burning of any book violates the free speech clause of the First Amendment.

I agree and that is why I do not support those who would inhibit that right even when it appears to be well intentioned

Sep 23, 2010 -- 2:02PM, TPaine wrote:

There was violence directed at the US in the Muslim world such as flag burning and rock throwing at American troops when Jones announced his plans.

I am aware that there were demonstrations against the US when Jones announced his plan. I am also aware that there were flag burnings and Muslims with signs "Death to America".  This is free speech.  This happened in countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan. 

I am not aware of stones being thrown at American troops.

There were clips of people throwing rocks at an American military convoy in Afghanistan on the news. I agree that burning flags and holding signs saying "Death to America" are free speech and agree that people should have every right to do both. 

Do you agree that burning an american flag is free speech, holding signs and shouting "Death to America"  is free speech, and burning either a Quran or a translation of  the Quran is free speech? 

Now I don't know if any American military or civilians were injured by Muslims throwing  rocks as a protest.  But I do not think that throwing rocks is protected by free speech. 

Do you agree or disagree?

The fact that he is an Islamophobe is well documented.

It is not against the law to have phobias. 

Threatening to burn a holy book is insulting to the believers of that religion. 

Let's look at your statement.

You are claim that just the "threat" of burning a "holy" book is insulting to the believers of that religion. 

If just "threatening" to burn a "holy" book is insulting to the believers of a religions then I think they are being immoderately sensitive. 

I could make the claim that burning "any" book is going to be insulting to someone.  To me a book, is a book, is a book. 

All of the Muslims I know personally are decent law-abiding citizens, but I find radicals and extremists in any religion somewhat worrisome. 

I agree. I will add that radicals and extremists in any idealogy political or otherwise is somewhat worrisome.  Even radical-extremist atheists.

According to the dictionary a cult can be defined as:

cult – noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

So this would include all the Abrahamic-Monostheistic Religions.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

This would include Abraham, Jesus and Muhammad.

3. the object of such devotion.

This would include the Torah, the Gospel, the Quran.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

God-Abraham-Torah, Jesus-Gospels, Allah-Quran-Muhammad

5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

The U.S. Constituion, The Pledge of Alligance to the Flag.

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

Christian Identity,  Rev. Sun Yng Moon,  Ahamdis any Jewish sect that is not Orthodox

www.google.com/search?q=unorhodox+religi...

7. the members of such a religion or sect.

Not-Real, So-Called Jews who Misunderstand and Misinterpete the Torah, Not-Real, So-Called Christians who Misunderstand and Misinterpete the  Gospels, Not-Real, So-Called Muslims  who Misunderstand and Misinterpete the Quran,  Not-Real, So-Called ________ who Misunderstand and Misinterpete the ________.

8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

Faith healers, new age or old age. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2010 - 3:18PM #12
TPaine

Oct 4, 2010 -- 12:58PM, NATAS wrote:

Oct 3, 2010 -- 1:03PM, TPaine wrote:

Thank you for responding, NATAS

Your welcome Tom

That is an excellent response. I wish more people would believe in having evidence before making an accusation although I admit to making the same mistake in Reverend Jones' case.

Even I make mistakes.

I quess that's the curse of being human.

Wilbur claimed that:

Freedom of religion is a founding principle of our Constitution and the burning of any people's sacred texts is in direct opposition to this principle."

Phrase  A is accurate, Phrase B is inaccurate.

Prohibiting the burning of any book violates the free speech clause of the First Amendment.

I agree and that is why I do not support those who would inhibit that right even when it appears to be well intentioned.

As a civil libertarian, so do I.

There was violence directed at the US in the Muslim world such as flag burning and rock throwing at American troops when Jones announced his plans.

I am aware that there were demonstrations against the US when Jones announced his plan. I am also aware that there were flag burnings and Muslims with signs "Death to America".  This is free speech.  This happened in countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan. 

I am not aware of stones being thrown at American troops.

There were clips of people throwing rocks at an American military convoy in Afghanistan on the news. I agree that burning flags and holding signs saying "Death to America" are free speech and agree that people should have every right to do both. 

Do you agree that burning an american flag is free speech, holding signs and shouting "Death to America"  is free speech, and burning either a Quran or a translation of  the Quran is free speech? 

Now I don't know if any American military or civilians were injured by Muslims throwing  rocks as a protest.  But I do not think that throwing rocks is protected by free speech. 

Do you agree or disagree?

I agree that burning a flag, holding signs, shouting "Death to America," and burning a book, holy or otherwise, is protected free speech. Acts of violence are not protected speech.

The fact that he is an Islamophobe is well documented.

It is not against the law to have phobias.

Agreed 

Threatening to burn a holy book is insulting to the believers of that religion. 

Let's look at your statement.

You are claim that just the "threat" of burning a "holy" book is insulting to the believers of that religion. 

If just "threatening" to burn a "holy" book is insulting to the believers of a religions then I think they are being immoderately sensitive. 

I could make the claim that burning "any" book is going to be insulting to someone.  To me a book, is a book, is a book.

The right to burn the book is protected. There is no right to be protected from insult. I agree that anyone upset by a threat to burn a book is overly sensitive.

All of the Muslims I know personally are decent law-abiding citizens, but I find radicals and extremists in any religion somewhat worrisome. 

I agree. I will add that radicals and extremists in any idealogy political or otherwise is somewhat worrisome.  Even radical-extremist atheists.

I agree

According to the dictionary a cult can be defined as:

cult – noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

So this would include all the Abrahamic-Monostheistic Religions.

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

This would include Abraham, Jesus and Muhammad.

3. the object of such devotion.

This would include the Torah, the Gospel, the Quran.

4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

God-Abraham-Torah, Jesus-Gospels, Allah-Quran-Muhammad

5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

The U.S. Constituion, The Pledge of Alligance to the Flag.

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

Christian Identity,  Rev. Sun Yng Moon,  Ahamdis any Jewish sect that is not Orthodox

www.google.com/search?q=unorhodox+religi...

7. the members of such a religion or sect.

Not-Real, So-Called Jews who Misunderstand and Misinterpete the Torah, Not-Real, So-Called Christians who Misunderstand and Misinterpete the  Gospels, Not-Real, So-Called Muslims  who Misunderstand and Misinterpete the Quran,  Not-Real, So-Called ________ who Misunderstand and Misinterpete the ________.

8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.

Faith healers, new age or old age.

Again, I agree.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2011 - 2:27AM #13
Proletariat44

People have the right to burn whatever they want on their property. It doesn't matter if its Mein Kampf, the Quran, etc. As long as they don't cause property damage or forest fires, it's their right and their property.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2011 - 2:34AM #14
Proletariat44

And a side note, I don't like people blaming this guy for Muslims throwing rocks at American soldiers. There's been a war going on since 2001 in Afghanistan and 2003 in Iraq, and you know what, they have been setting IED's, EFPs, and throwing rocks at soldiers for a long time now. To blame this guy for violence perpetrated at our soldiers is just lunacy. They hate the Zionist, Crusader, Humanist invasion forces. To them we are unholy, your whole idea of tolerance, gay rights, and etc is what the majority of Islamic people over there find offensive, and worth resolving through the use of force. They reserve the death penalty for men proved of conducting homosexual conduct.  I think people really need to wake up to what we are fighting over there, and stop living in their politically correct worlds. Violence has been the normal in that region before the wars even happened.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook