Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Troops: Skipping Christian concert got us punished
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 7:01PM #1
Weepingangelofthetrees

RICHMOND, Va. (AP)  — The Army said Friday it was investigating a claim  that dozens of soldiers who refused to attend a Christian band's concert  at a Virginia military base were banished to their barracks and told to  clean them up. (Continues @USA Today)

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 7:50PM #2
mountain_man

Those officers need to be courts-martialed and given a dishonorable discharge. It's time we drummed the religious extremists out of the military. They have no place there.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 8:05PM #3
TPaine

Aug 22, 2010 -- 7:01PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

RICHMOND, Va. (AP)  — The Army said Friday it was investigating a claim  that dozens of soldiers who refused to attend a Christian band's concert  at a Virginia military base were banished to their barracks and told to  clean them up. (Continues @USA Today)

Why does this not surprise me? The Christian Taliban has been attepting to turn our secular republic into a theocracy for many years and their targeting the military is nothing new. One only needs to remember the proselytizing scandal at the Air Force Academy in 2005.

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=...

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 8:05PM #4
mecdukebec

I spoke with Mikey Weinstein about 2 years about about the "Team Jesus QB" speeches in the USAFA sports scandal.  I agree with Mountainman, this kind of nonsense should be snuffed out.  UCMJ action, and fast. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 9:36PM #5
costrel

According to the article: "The group's president, Mikey Weinstein, claims Christian-themed events are 'ubiquitous' throughout the military, and he credited the soldiers for stepping forward."

And people don't like it when I jokingly refer to the military as a Christian cult? Perhaps it actually is a Christian cult....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 9:39PM #6
jane2

Aug 22, 2010 -- 8:05PM, TPaine wrote:

Aug 22, 2010 -- 7:01PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The Army said Friday it was investigating a claim that dozens of soldiers who refused to attend a Christian band's concert at a Virginia military base were banished to their barracks and told to clean them up. (Continues @USA Today)

Why does this not surprise me? The Christian Taliban has been attepting to turn our secular republic into a theocracy for many years and their targeting the military is nothing new. One only needs to remember the proselytizing scandal at the Air Force Academy in 2005.

query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=...

Tp

The evangelical "mess" at the Air Force Academy immediately came to mind when I read the heading to this thread. Thanks for the update.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 9:43PM #7
rangerken

I could write several paragraphs about how many regulations, customs and traditions this violated if it is true as reported. If it is, somebody needs to be relieved of command. I never ran into anything like this once in my 30 years service. My wife never did in her 28 years. Our son has not in his nearly 7 years of service. I've heard about things like this, but never witnessed them. It is inexcusable if true. The problem is not that various religions get together and support each other, or themselves, or preach and all that, etc. That's just fine. The problem is that in this case there seems to have been coercion, and worse, coercion from up the chain of command. That just cannot be allowed to happen.

Ken

Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 10:35PM #8
Ebon

Aug 22, 2010 -- 9:43PM, rangerken wrote:

I could write several paragraphs about how many regulations, customs and traditions this violated if it is true as reported. If it is, somebody needs to be relieved of command. I never ran into anything like this once in my 30 years service. My wife never did in her 28 years. Our son has not in his nearly 7 years of service. I've heard about things like this, but never witnessed them. It is inexcusable if true. The problem is not that various religions get together and support each other, or themselves, or preach and all that, etc. That's just fine. The problem is that in this case there seems to have been coercion, and worse, coercion from up the chain of command. That just cannot be allowed to happen.

*Applauds*

I've been hearing occasional reports like this for a few years now. Don't misunderstand, it's still very much a minority thing but it does seem to happen on occasion.

And while we're at it, let's get rid of the small number of white supremacists who have been creeping in for the last few years.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 10:46PM #9
mountain_man

Aug 22, 2010 -- 9:43PM, rangerken wrote:

... The problem is that in this case there seems to have been coercion, and worse, coercion from up the chain of command. That just cannot be allowed to happen.

This IS happening. There is a recent history, including the Air Force Academy scandal, of christian extremists using their rank to force soldiers to go along with christian indoctrination. This is an unpardonable violation of the very Constitution they swore to uphold and protect from all enemies.

I never experienced such coercion when I was in from 1973 to 1983. In fact, a Christian chaplain made me a set of dog tags that said "Atheist" on them. He was upset that I had to choose from one of several christian sects or "Hebrew."

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 1:01AM #10
MMarcoe

This is what they're going to start posting in every building if they keep getting their way:

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook