Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View National Day of Prayer
4 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2010 - 12:34PM #1
1SonofGod

So federal judge has ruled that National day of Prayer is unconstitutional. Was the day the White House held prayer for the Muslims unconstitutional also? It is up to each individual to participate or not in the National Day of Prayer. This day was intended for all persons that believe in PRAY not religions to pray for our nation and those that lead and protect USA. It isnt a Christian thing or any other religious sects' theme.

The USA in general is turning from God and our society is getting worse because of it. Regardless of whether or not the President chooses to engage in the National day of Prayer is his personal choice, but dont dismiss the American people for continuing the Prayer Day.

I would plea that you make your voice heard if you disagree with the choice to cast aside National day of Prayer that has been held since 1952.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2010 - 1:18PM #2
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Apr 16, 2010 -- 12:34PM, 1SonofGod wrote:

So federal judge has ruled that National day of Prayer is unconstitutional. Was the day the White House held prayer for the Muslims unconstitutional also? It is up to each individual to participate or not in the National Day of Prayer. This day was intended for all persons that believe in PRAY not religions to pray for our nation and those that lead and protect USA. It isnt a Christian thing or any other religious sects' theme.

The USA in general is turning from God and our society is getting worse because of it. Regardless of whether or not the President chooses to engage in the National day of Prayer is his personal choice, but dont dismiss the American people for continuing the Prayer Day.

I would plea that you make your voice heard if you disagree with the choice to cast aside National day of Prayer that has been held since 1952.

Not all religions pray. 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2010 - 3:22PM #3
BillWitt

So federal judge has ruled that National day of Prayer is unconstitutional.

Good!  It's about time that it was ruled unconstituional.  A secular government should not endorse (or promote) only religions who believe in prayer, or a god which needs to be prayed to.  

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - -Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2010 - 11:59AM #4
mainecaptain

As ALL stated not all religions pray, but regardless, would you want a national pray day to Zeus?

Prayer should be private, religion should be private. Not a public display. No one is stopping anyone from praying, just that it should not be a national religious event.

There are many gods and many paths.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2010 - 1:11PM #5
BillWitt
TPaine has an excellent post concerning this on the "Church & State" Board.  According to the Mission Statement, Official Policy of Participation, and the Statement of Belief as developed by the National Day of Prayer Task Force, this National Day of Prayer is clearly being used to promote one religion, Christianity. The judge made the correct decision.  Promoting one religion in this way is a blatant violation of the 1st Amendment.    
"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - -Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2010 - 7:05PM #6
mainecaptain

Thanks Bill Smile

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2010 - 4:22PM #7
TPaine

I hate to say it, but you are wrong. First of all, President Obama and the White House never did hold a prayer for Muslims. If you're going to make something up, try to find something that can't be easily fact-checked. www.snopes.com/politics/obama/prayerday.... The National Day of Prayer has been a Christian thing ever since the Dobsons started the NDP Task Force and President Bush 43 had them hold services in the White House for Christians only. That violates the Establishment Clause of the 1st Amendment "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." Judge Crabb made the correct decision. Have you read the decision? If not you may want to do so. It might help you make more accurate statements. It will also give you the history of the 1952 bill establishing the NDP. www.au.org/documents/2010/obama-order.pd...

Do you mean the Dobson run National Christian Prayer Day we have now? Is a day of prayer more important to you than the Constitution? The United States is not now, nor has it ever been a Christian Nation. It is a nation in which those of all belief systems or no belief systems have equal rights. You may not like the fact that Christianity is not the only game in town, but as long as the Constitution is the law of the land you better learn to live with it.

I have made my voice heard often. I support the Constitution, and the rights of all Americans to pray or not to pray as they see fit. As long as the NDP features only one sect, I oppose it.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2010 - 5:34PM #8
BillWitt
Thomas,

Thanks to the information you provided on the Church and State Board, it appears 1SonofGod has disappeared from all the Threads he started on this topic on various Boards.  I did use the information you gave from the NDOP Task Force several times, but I did verify it first from the sites you listed. 

Over on the Discuss Christianity Board most have avoided the question of whether the judge's decision was correct (a few have agreed), instead it has turned to an argument about whether Christian should pray in public or not, with a lot of Bible quoting.  As usual, they seem to be much more concerned about what is in the Bible, than what is in the Constitution. 

Thanks again for your information.  Your original post on this topic was excellent. 

Bill     
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2010 - 7:20PM #9
TPaine

Apr 21, 2010 -- 5:34PM, BillWitt wrote:

Thomas,

Thanks to the information you provided on the Church and State Board, it appears 1SonofGod has disappeared from all the Threads he started on this topic on various Boards.  I did use the information you gave from the NDOP Task Force several times, but I did verify it first from the sites you listed. 

Over on the Discuss Christianity Board most have avoided the question of whether the judge's decision was correct (a few have agreed), instead it has turned to an argument about whether Christian should pray in public or not, with a lot of Bible quoting.  As usual, they seem to be much more concerned about what is in the Bible, than what is in the Constitution. 

Thanks again for your information.  Your original post on this topic was excellent. 

Bill     

Wow!! Thanks Bill. I've learned a lot from your posts and am usually far too negligent about telling you so.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2010 - 7:38PM #10
mainecaptain

Bill and TPaine I have learned amazing things from both of you. I am blessed to know both of you. Thank you.Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook