Switch to Forum Live View What religion am I?
5 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2010 - 4:44PM #1
Martin
Hi all,

recently I discovered this great site and I'm wondering if you can help me with problem I face today, and as I see, many other forum users faced once as well. I'm searching for a religion.

I grew up in an agnostic family, so I have not much experience with any kind of religion and I hope you will say where do you see me in:) Let me elaborate a bit:

-My religion should be as open and as universal as Catholic Church (so hinduism is obviously not a choice for me)

-It should be full of mysticism and personal discovering of God. (I love spirituality of Sufis and Eastern Orthodox for example, but from what I see most of protestant churches reject it)

-It should endorse meditation and Far East technics like Tai Chi. (or at least allow it: I know there are catholic jesuits, and many liberal protestants who practice eastern spiritual growth teachings. But Evangelical or majority of Muslims are opposing it I think)

-As far as social issues are concerned: I don't want to adopt a religion which consider premarital sex as sin. I mean: I agree that marriage is something important and that family is foundation of society, but some Christians and Muslims see premarital sex, even resulting from love, as a sin equal to fornication. Am I right?

-Personally, I consider myself to be a rather conservative person on issues like homosexualism, divorces etc, however social issues are not that important for me- this is spiritual part that is crucial and the belief that anyone can "access" the redemption.

-And finally, I'm not huge fan of Buddhism. I don't want to believe that I disperse one day in emptiness- I want to believe in immortality of human being.

So that's all. I'd be glad for any answers. Really. And sorry for my poor english. I'm not native speaker;]
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2010 - 6:54PM #2
Godgirl

Hi Martin,

Unfortunetely,

believing against homosexuality and against premarital sex go together. And believing in homosexuality and belieing in premarital sex go together. Although some religions as episcopalians and church of christ may be more leneant on premaritial sex but they also acept homsexuality. So i dont know what to tell you as this is how religions group them together. so your in a tough bind.

-Godgirl

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2010 - 8:09PM #3
Lavender

You might want to find out more about Sikhism and/or Gnosticism. I don't know very much about these religions myself, else I'd help you. On the other hand, I can help you with Wicca if you find that it is more of what you are looking for. Good luck!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 4:25AM #4
Pastormax

Hi Martin, It is an interesting idea put forth by this website that we can piece our spirituality together by matching our likes and dislikes.  I suggest embracing a community with some of those mystical aspects you are attracted to, then allow God to reveal himself or her truth to you. Beware of shaping a god in our own image.  Also, he have to cut any real community some slack, or as we Christians call it, grace.  Like marriage, you can make your check list and check it twice, think you have the perfect girl and marry to discover she is human.  But God is there in the community, in our effort to live and love together.  I agree with the previous responder, Episcopalian may be a good place to start.

Pastor, Max

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 1:52PM #5
Wendyness

My advise is to read as much as you can about the different "religions".  To me it is not so important to classify what I believe as much as what I believe.  It's a journey that requires a lot of discernment and personal exploration.  I found the writings of Carl Jung to be beneficial in formulating my foundation of "faith".
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 2:49PM #6
Joyojoy

Hi Martin,

I'm on a sort of similar journey/exploration. I come from a Christian background, but am frustrated by misrepresentations and misguidance of religious institutions and the way they seem to put God in a box, placing limits and conditions on his love for us. So I'm kind of without a church myself right now.

You sound like you have a degree of belief in a supreme being and are just looking for a way to connect. I have been leaning more toward Christian Mysticism, which focuses on more personal spiritual development, rather than moulding your faith on a list of "thou shalts" and "thou shalt nots". If you'd like to learn more, I suggest you start at this LINK.

Good luck on your journey.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2010 - 9:27PM #7
Inkywhip

Martin,

What Godgirl said is typically true. However, there is a different way of thinking about it altogether.

My religion is Love.

Okay, that's perhaps a bit too reductionist, so I will elaborate just a little:

There are two kinds of love: that with which people are typically endowed, and which may be honed to the utmost without even the necessity of belief in God. (there are some paths which seem to follow this process. A Course in Miracles, though it does use language reflective of the miraculous is essentially a psychological process of freeing oneself from pre-learned traps to free thinking and enable loving thoughts and behavior. It is well complemented by a discipline known as 'compassionate communication', which I will leave you to look up.

The second kind of love is of greater significance to me: Divine Love - this is made readily available to all who sincerely desire to become One with God, and who open their souls to its inflowing...but will never enter a soul otherwise. God respects the free will of people to the extent that Union with the Essence of the Divine must be sought through intense prayer and longing...nothing else will suffice.

In either case, the instances you spoke of: premarital sex and homosexuality (well besides the fact that premarital sex is an act, while homosexuality is a state, or orientation, not a behavior per se. So let's say...homosexual acts) can both either be consistent with loving actions and intent, or inconsistent with loving actions and intent...the thoughts, attitudes and hearts of the interactors entirely determines what the experience means to them, and in an overall 'karmic' sense.

So, you can see, the standard is a 'floating' standard, not a simple set of rules. Each and every moment, each and every situation calls for the embodiment of Love. The question is really whether one wants to 'tough it out' on their own, or align oneself with the Greatest Source of Love there is.

Personally, I've messed up too many times on my own to be willing to 'go it alone' any more.

Incarnadine

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook