Page 5 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Tiger Wood needs Jesus!!!
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2010 - 9:51PM #41
Gwyddion9

Tiger and his wife, if she still intends on keeping him, need to be left alone and given time to see what they each want and if they are BOTH willing to give the time and effort it will take to keep the marriage. Humes needs to mind his own business and shut up, as far as i'm concerned. Unfortunately, being an 'evangelist' he's got to be in everybodies business after all, he can't make his money if he isn't telling everyone to 'get jesus'.

For some Christians, money equals Jesus. It's a business, afterall.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss

Let My Worship be within the heart that rejoiceth, for behold: all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. Charge of the Goddess
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 7:04AM #42
Xristocharis

Jan 5, 2010 -- 6:45PM, TPaine wrote:

Jan 5, 2010 -- 11:05AM, mainecaptain wrote:

Brit Hume, has been affect adversely by faux news. Tiger Woods does not need any Jesus.

Tiger Woods needs therapy. Anyone who works that hard at destroying a relationship has real psychological problems. No religion is going to help that. Forgivness is something he needs from those persons he has hurt and them after that he needs to forgive himself.

Christianity can only damage him further, because most (Not all) but most Christian teaching just cause more guilt. Which will cause him to have worse psychological problems.

To hear Brit Hume, the real problem is he is not a Christian, as if no Christian would have done such a thing.

I would say more, but wouuld not wish to offend the really nice Christians I know.

I feel the same way you do, Cap. I just want to emphasize that anyone that believes that Faux News is engaged in objective news reporting should stop smoking those funny skinny cigarettes at once.

Virginia Slims?

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 7:16AM #43
Xristocharis

As a Christian I find it rather insulting for someone to suggest that my religion is some sort of spiritual cure-all. As though converting somehow causes an instant fix to life's complicated problems.

I hate (not dislike, but hate) the idea of Easy Christianity (or what Dietrich Bonhoeffer calls Cheap Grace). This notion that that Christianity is easy, simple, comfortable. Join us and everything will be flowers, kittens and happy singsongs--there'll even be cake in the end!

I'd be tickled pink if Tiger Woods--or anyone--chose to become a Christian. But only as a thoughtful and deliberate decision on their part. Marketing something as cheap and easy may work for the consumer goods at Walmart or Ikea, but it's offensive and nauseating when discussing religion. Those who market Christianity do no service to Christianity.

To be blunt, saying that Woods should convert to Christianity so that he can be forgiven of his marital ills is an offensive, stupid and lazy thing to say.

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 10:00AM #44
Redfrog777

Very well put Jon. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 10:08AM #45
Wiscidea

It is a gamble to promise too much... it can undermine the entire brand.

Consider... Brit Hume's remarks have not encourage a mass conversion to Christianity, but have drawn attention to hypocrisy, the inability of Christianity and other faith-based religions to solve problems (or there would not be priests, preachers, politicians, and numeous others seeking forgiveness from God, family, vicitims, and the voters), and the rampant ignorance of other religions and non-religious approaches to life (displayed by both religious and non-religious people). If only we could just leave one another alone, as long as we're not murdering, raping, and stealing...which can be dealt with by secular laws.

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 10:34AM #46
peterthesplitfish

Jan 11, 2010 -- 10:08AM, Wiscidea wrote:

It is a gamble to promise too much... it can undermine the entire brand.

Consider... Brit Hume's remarks have not encourage a mass conversion to Christianity, but have drawn attention to hypocrisy, the inability of Christianity and other faith-based religions to solve problems (or there would not be priests, preachers, politicians, and numeous others seeking forgiveness from God, family, vicitims, and the voters), and the rampant ignorance of other religions and non-religious approaches to life (displayed by both religious and non-religious people). If only we could just leave one another alone, as long as we're not murdering, raping, and stealing...which can be dealt with by secular laws.

Shalom Wis,

The greatest problem here is that most people do not even know where the true conflict came from and why it is important for conflicts to exist. While you may not agree with me, all things happen for a reason and a purpose and it is up to the individual to figure out why that is.

Peter M.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 12:40PM #47
Adelphe

I truly do not understand the public backlash against Hume.

From the Washington Post...

"...True tolerance consists in engaging deep disagreements respectfully -- through persuasion -- not in banning certain categories of argument and belief from public debate.

In this controversy, we are presented with two models of discourse. Hume, in an angry sea of loss and tragedy -- his son's death in 1998 -- found a life preserver in faith. He offered that life preserver to another drowning man. Whatever your view of Hume's beliefs, he could have no motive other than concern for Woods himself.

The other model has come from critics such as Shales, in a spittle-flinging rage at the mention of religion in public, comparing Hume to "Mary Poppins on the joys of a tidy room, or Ron Popeil on the glories of some amazing potato peeler." Shales, of course, is engaged in proselytism of his own -- for a secular fundamentalism that trivializes and banishes all other faiths. He distributes the sacrament of the sneer.

Who in this picture is more intolerant?"

I couldn't have said it any better (so didn't.) Tongue out Wink

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 1:44PM #48
Wiscidea

Jan 11, 2010 -- 12:40PM, Adelphe wrote:

In this controversy, we are presented with two models of discourse. Hume, in an angry sea of loss and tragedy -- his son's death in 1998 -- found a life preserver in faith. He offered that life preserver to another drowning man. Whatever your view of Hume's beliefs, he could have no motive other than concern for Woods himself.

If Brit Hume had simply suggested , based on his personal experience, that Tiger Woods might find some help by looking to Christianity, there wouldn't be such a fire storm. But Brit Hume chose to go on to denigrate another religion by saying it could not offer what Tiger Woods might need at this moment.

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 2:07PM #49
Moon_panther

Hello All,

Well, seeing this thread has caused all sorts of responses to bounce around my brain.

I am well aware there are lots of good Christians out there and on this site.  I mean no disrespect to anyone...

I also don't want to produce a bad 1st impression since this is my 1st post to this site...   Tongue out

IMHO - ANYBODY on Fox Noise claiming anybody needing to do anything positive is like the Devil saying, "Ya know, YOU could use some churching up...."

I don't appreciate Mr. Hume disrepecting Buddists like that as if FOX NOISE is some kind of spokes group for the so called right wing christian movement.  I find this whole group/news station false and annoying.  These same "Christians" who scream about right to life and the like suddenly don't give a damn when these same people reach military age when at THAT time these people can't beat the war drums fast enough...

Blessings n Hugs,

Moon )O(

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2010 - 4:27PM #50
TPaine

Jan 11, 2010 -- 7:04AM, Xristocharis wrote:

Jan 5, 2010 -- 6:45PM, TPaine wrote:

Jan 5, 2010 -- 11:05AM, mainecaptain wrote:

Brit Hume, has been affect adversely by faux news. Tiger Woods does not need any Jesus.

Tiger Woods needs therapy. Anyone who works that hard at destroying a relationship has real psychological problems. No religion is going to help that. Forgivness is something he needs from those persons he has hurt and them after that he needs to forgive himself.

Christianity can only damage him further, because most (Not all) but most Christian teaching just cause more guilt. Which will cause him to have worse psychological problems.

To hear Brit Hume, the real problem is he is not a Christian, as if no Christian would have done such a thing.

I would say more, but wouuld not wish to offend the really nice Christians I know.

I feel the same way you do, Cap. I just want to emphasize that anyone that believes that Faux News is engaged in objective news reporting should stop smoking those funny skinny cigarettes at once.

Virginia Slims?

-Jon

Maui Wowie as I recall.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 13  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook