Switch to Forum Live View I feel lost-what am I and are there others like me?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2010 - 12:24PM #1
Alouette99

I apologize for the length of this post but I tried to get in a lot of information that is important in defining who I am and what I believe so people can better answer my question (if it is answerable.)

I was raised Roman Catholic. I never had problems with faith when I was little. In high school something started to happen. I began to question...everything. I got to the point where I realized I really couldn't consider myself a Christian.  So I went on a quest to find a new religion...I looked at all kinds of religions...even trying Paganism and realized it was religion I had an issue with. None of my beliefs fit neatly into any package. I am not an athiest per se because I do have beliefs. I just don't know what I am if anything and I'm feeling alone. I often wish I could have faith...you don't know how much easier it would make life. I have respect for all religions so I am by no means here to bash any of them. If you believe I consider you lucky. But my brain won't let me.  I cannot force myself to believe and cannot blindly ignore scientific evidence. I believe that all religions serve a purpose…some good, some not so good.

So, let me tell you what I do believe and maybe someone can give me some idea on what I would be called...and it doesn't have to necessarily be a religion. I am just looking for others like me. Those who have faith come together to share in their beliefs. It gives you a sense of community and belonging. That is what I am looking for. I'm just looking for a starting point. I know that I am the one who will need to research it further to see if it’s right for me. I believe there is a higher power...but I don't necessarily believe it is a god figure. I feel like I would be arrogant to think that we are it. I think of it more like a scientific mystery.  When we think back through history, humans have used religion to explain many scientific phenomenon...thunder, lightning, volcanoes, etc. The human brain has so much more potential. I don't feel that at this point in our evolution that we have the ability to understand the next level. We are on a journey and each year we learn more. But we aren't even close to understanding it. But I feel a lot of it is energy based. There are energies we can't explain. There is energy that creates and energy that destroys. There is good energy and bad energy.

With that said, I do believe in another plane of existence. I believe in our consciousness. I do not believe in heaven and hell...just another place after death. I do not believe in reincarnation but I do believe in ghosts and spirits and that they come and go as a form of energy. I think they all have different purposes. Maybe they don't feel they can leave because something is unfinished or maybe they have lost their way. I think some do not realize they have passed or some are just residual energy repeating actions of their life. But I don't think we are far enough in our journey to be able to understand it.  It's like putting a fire in front of the caveman. They see it's there, come up with guesses about what it is, maybe attribute it to an angry god or a gift from god...but they don't truly understand the scientific side of it until scientists solve the mystery…and we still don’t completely understand it.

I do not necessarily believe in evil spirits as a form of satan but as negative energy. I believe people who were evil could still be evil after they die. And that people who do have faith could get rid of an evil presence with whatever religion they believe because their strong belief could form a positive energy that rids the negative one.

I do believe that there are people who are more sensitive to paranormal than others. I think once again it has to do with interpreting energy. Maybe their brain has a better developed receiver. However, I do believe there are many that are scam artists. But I also believe there are some that are thought to be scammers that just have receivers that are  less developed and therefore make more mistakes.

I believe that all life on earth is part of a much larger system. We see how microscopic parts make up larger parts and those larger parts make up other larger parts. So I think that it is possible that our "big" earth could just be a part of something we make up so the possibilities are endless.

I believe that people should try to be the best they can be. I believe we should help those in need. I do believe that some things are morally wrong....genocide, rape, abuse, stealing, etc. I do believe people have the right to make their own choices in terms of their bodies and who they love.  In other words, I'm pro choice and support gay rights.

I do not believe in the Bible. I believe that some of the stories have good lessons...just as all religious texts do. But I believe they are lessons, not history... just as the Greek and Romans used what we now call mythology. I believe that humans have used religion to manipulate their people for their own purpose. I believe these religious texts have been modified when rulers felt it in their best interest. I believe that those who wrote the stories or who were accepted as prophets would now be ridiculed, be diagnosed with sicknesses such as lead poisoning or brain tumors or be labeled as having a mental disorder like schizophrenia.

I’m sure I could probably keep going but that gives you an idea of who I am. Please do not post opinions of if you feel I’m right or wrong or try to convert me. I am what I am. I’m just looking to find others like me so if you have ideas, I really appreciate your feedback.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2010 - 2:22PM #2
BillWitt

Jan 2, 2010 -- 12:24PM, Alouette99 wrote:

I believe there is a higher power...but I don't necessarily believe it is a god figure. 

Alouette, it sounds like you might be classified as a Deist, like a number of our Founding Fathers.  Deist believe in a higher power, or a god like power, but they vary in many of their other beliefs. 

I'm not a Deist, so I can't really speak for them.  You might want to go to the Deism Community Board on B'Net for more information, or go to deism.com/.  

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - -Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2010 - 4:44PM #3
Tom93

Your post sounds a lot like my own history up until I was around 30 when I discovered Ayn Rand and understand the problem with considering "other planes of existence", ghosts, etc. to be real.

I think the Catholic Church has a real problem when people start to think and come to the realization that all the stories they teach are allegorical, and not history; there's really no place for you once you get there. If you try to stay in the Church you've either got to become a hypocrite, and claim to believe stuff you really don't, or if you're honest about your beliefs, you're pushed out. Why can't someone be a Catholic who views the teaching as allergorical and not literally real ?

Roy Masters (www.fhu.com) makes a very interesting observation about how evil people break other peoples' spirits in order to control them; if you can get them to do anything that they know is wrong, you've got them. I often think this is what's behind the problem with the Church: certain evil people have discoverd this 'trick' and use it to obtain power, and thus demand you commit hypocrisy or you're out.

The people at the Sea of Faith Network (www.sofn.org.uk) are actually an interesting group that hold beliefs that you might find of interest:

SoF is most closely associated with the non-realist approach to religion. This refers to the belief that God has no ‘real’, objective or empirical existence, independent of human language and culture; God is ‘real’ in the sense that he is a potent symbol, metaphor or projection, but He has no objective existence outside and beyond the practice of religion. Non-realism therefore entails a rejection of all supernaturalism - miracles, afterlife and the agency of spirits.

As a final note, I recommend you read the novel The Fountainhead and think hard about "...a sense of community and belonging. That is what I am looking for".

Consider first developing a strong sense of personal identity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2010 - 10:05AM #4
Alouette99

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been doing more searching and I believe I may be a Pantheist. Until now I had never heard of them. But for the first time I read through a description and wanted to jump up and down with excitement. Let's see where this journey leads. I hope you all find peace and happiness in your own choices. As I said, I respect all religions and consider you all brothers and sisters!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2010 - 5:53PM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Take the Belief-O-Matic quiz.
www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/...
This is how I scored.

1.     Theravada Buddhism (100%)
2.     Unitarian Universalism (95%)
3.     Liberal Quakers (82%)
4.     Neo-Pagan (82%)
5.     Secular Humanism (81%)
6.     Mahayana Buddhism (76%)
7.     Taoism (72%)
8.     New Age (71%)
9.     Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (63%)
10.     Nontheist (62%)
11.     Jainism (62%)
12.     Orthodox Quaker (54%)
13.     Reform Judaism (48%)
14.     Sikhism (44%)
15.     Hinduism (42%)
16.     Baha'i Faith (39%)
17.     Scientology (34%)
18.     New Thought (31%)
19.     Seventh Day Adventist (28%)
20.     Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (27%)
21.     Orthodox Judaism (24%)
22.     Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (24%)
23.     Islam (22%)
24.     Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (21%)
25.     Jehovah's Witness (10%)
26.     Eastern Orthodox (8%)
27.     Roman Catholic (8%)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 6:51AM #6
RevDorris

Jan 2, 2010 -- 12:24PM, Alouette99 wrote:

I apologize for the length of this post but I tried to get in a lot of information that is important in defining who I am and what I believe so people can better answer my question (if it is answerable.)

None of my beliefs fit neatly into any package. ........I have respect for all religions so I am by no means here to bash any of them. .......I cannot force myself to believe and cannot blindly ignore scientific evidence. I believe that all religions serve a purpose…some good, some not so good.

So, let me tell you what I do believe and maybe someone can give me some idea on what I would be called... I am just looking for others like me. Those who have faith come together to share in their beliefs. It gives you a sense of community and belonging. That is what I am looking for. I'm just looking for a starting point. l. We are on a journey and each year we learn more. But we aren't even close to understanding it. But I feel a lot of it is energy based. There are energies we can't explain. There is energy that creates and energy that destroys. There is good energy and bad energy.

I believe that all life on earth is part of a much larger system. We see how microscopic parts make up larger parts and those larger parts make up other larger parts. So I think that it is possible that our "big" earth could just be a part of something we make up so the possibilities are endless.

I believe that people should try to be the best they can be. I believe we should help those in need. I do believe that some things are morally wrong....genocide, rape, abuse, stealing, etc. I do believe people have the right to make their own choices in terms of their bodies and who they love.  In other words, I'm pro choice and support gay rights.

I do not believe in the Bible. I believe that some of the stories have good lessons...just as all religious texts do. But I believe they are lessons, not history... just as the Greek and Romans used what we now call mythology. I believe that humans have used religion to manipulate their people for their own purpose. I believe these religious texts have been modified when rulers felt it in their best interest. ..... I’m sure I could probably keep going but that gives you an idea of who I am. Please do not post opinions of if you feel I’m right or wrong or try to convert me. I am what I am. I’m just looking to find others like me so if you have ideas, I really appreciate your feedback.

There are hundreds of people just like you looking for a multitude of answers.

This is part of the spiritual journey -- seeking truth wherever it might be found.

To find that truth -- questions must be asked with an open heart and mind.

More and more today -- individuals are turning away from doctrines and traditions that no longer make sense to what they find written within their own heart and mind.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook