Switch to Forum Live View What religion am i?
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 5:50AM #1
Kaveman

Hello all. Just wondering if you could give me some ideas as to what i should call myself. Here are my thoughts on things. I know lots of you will disagree with me but i just want help please, not contradiction:

My family was always christian, and i was raised going to church, though i could never bring myself to believe what i was being forced to learn. My parents tried to instill their beliefs in me and tell me all others were wrong, but i have always questioned things. Long story short, i am a college freshman who doesnt know what category i fall under. I used to call myself Atheist, but i believe in a higher power so that cant be so. I do not believe in the bible whatsoever, or even organized religion for that fact. In my eyes, all religion does is give people an excuse to blame their own personal issues on, such as their hate for gays, abortions, ect, and start wars. Ill admit that religion works well for many people i am very close friends with, i just personally dont see a need to practice it in my life.

I believe that every single person on this earth has a purpose. Even those that die the day that they are born influence somebody somewhere in the way they were ment to. I believe our spirits are caried to another body when we die, that there are such things as ghosts (having a few personal experiences), and that there is a higher power of some sort. I do not have a dead set belief, but i think that our world can be anything in all reality. We could all be micro organisms on the tiniest piece of dust in another world such as ours. We can be a test planet made by other lifeforms out there who are letting us run our course to see what we do. Or we can simply be earth in the middle of space, who knows. There are definately other lifeforms out there though. I think that there are few things in this world that are truely immoral (except murder for the most part), just simply looked down upon by societies due to the way they have developed. I see true majesty in small things, such as how perfectly our bodies are crafted to work, or how plants work. It also amazes me how resources that are more valuable there are coincidentally less of in the world, a couple examples being diamond and gold. If diamond and gold were more plentiful than weaker, less useful materials such as iron, the world would be much different. Weak conductors would be switched with the high conductivness of gold, and weaker metals would be replaced with the rock steady diamond. Sorry im ranting.

I actually got alot of my views on life and the universe from doing recreational drugs (mushrooms most influential) . I am a regular marijuana user, though on rare occasions i do other drugs i wont list. Know i do not snort or inject anything. I believe that they are an excellent way to expand your mind and open new realms, as long as they do not damage your body as they do so. (I know many will say all drugs do harm, so please dont lecture me)

Im sorry i ranted alot about nothing to do with religion, just thought that i would help you get into my head a little. I realize i typed little to nothing, but i honestly dont know what else to add off the top of my head, so i am wide open to answer questions that will help you experts narrow down my options. Thank you all for the help you are hopefuly about to provide.
Tongue out

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 1:35PM #2
BillWitt

Dec 18, 2009 -- 5:50AM, Kaveman wrote:

i believe in a higher power

Kaveman, It sounds like you are a Deist, like a number of our Founding Fathers.  They believed in a high power, but they varied in many of their beliefs beyond the one belief that there was a higher power, or a god of some sort. 

I'm not a Deist, so I don't want to say much more.  You might want to go to the Deism Community Board to get more information. 

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - -Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2009 - 10:34AM #3
TPaine

Kaveman, I tend to agree with Bill on this, and I am a Deist. May I suggest a site you might find interesting and possibly discover if Deism fits your beliefs. deism.com/

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2009 - 3:55PM #4
Kaveman

thanks all. ill look into it

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2009 - 5:30PM #5
BillWitt

Dec 19, 2009 -- 3:55PM, Kaveman wrote:

thanks all. ill look into it

You're welcome.  Hope you find what you are looking for. 

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived." - -Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 8:50PM #6
Confusedman

I think your beliefs aren't defined enough to be shoved into a label. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2010 - 8:41PM #7
Icecreamassassin

Dec 28, 2009 -- 8:50PM, Confusedman wrote:

I think your beliefs aren't defined enough to be shoved into a label. 

Eh, I don't think they really have to be.  People should be who they are; not who other people tell them to be.

“Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes.” — Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2010 - 6:16PM #8
Bob_Bennett

Have you thought of giving yourself the gift of not belonging to any religion for awhile?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook