Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
5 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2009 - 10:22PM #1
ZenYen

I think I've been proselytized at more in the past year than at any time in my life. It's almost as if the number of people out there who can't get it through their heads that I have a belief system that works for me and it's an insult to assume I've never heard of Jesus has quadrupled in the past 12 months.

Is it just me?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 5:47AM #2
peterthesplitfish

Shalom Zenyen,

You are experience a part of the economic turn-down that people don't like to talk about. Churches cannot survive without money and when the economy is bad they go into high gear to get more money...converts to keep their stone buildings up and running. They will sell you whatever they can to do so. Be patient.

Peter M.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 7:45PM #3
faith713

A few bad apples does not mean the whole bunch is rotten.

Many Christians are called to share the Gospel yet do not ask for any money.

Matthew 24:14 

14And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Matthew 11:28 

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2009 - 8:25PM #4
RenGalskap
I hate it too. It gives me a chance to practice metta. May those *$#^%&)(*& Christians be free from suffering! ;-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 12:21AM #5
ZenYen

Faith###,  yes I am familiar with the Great Commission, and none of those who have been preaching at me have asked for a dime. They simply assume I need their message, or that I've managed to live almost 50 years in rural Ohio without considering Christianity as an option.

Frankly, it is insulting and annoying.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 12:22AM #6
ZenYen

RenGalskap: They do not make metta easy, but I will try. Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 8:33AM #7
faith713

Dec 2, 2009 -- 12:21AM, ZenYen wrote:

Faith###,  yes I am familiar with the Great Commission, and none of those who have been preaching at me have asked for a dime. They simply assume I need their message, or that I've managed to live almost 50 years in rural Ohio without considering Christianity as an option.

Christians are not mind readers, they have no way of telling who has received the message and who has not.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 8:54AM #8
Iwantamotto

With all due respect faith, it makes the concept Christians are informed by God/Holy Spirit seem stupid, like God wasn't nice enough to give you a list of non-members.

Evangelism is a recruitment drive, nothing more.  That explains why evangelist Christians are willing to "spread the Word" even if the people in the crowd have heard it a million times:  obviously, the people in the crowd don't go to their church, thus the evangelist must invite them to it.  It doesn't matter if you belong to another church or you're not into the whole church thing or you're just not Christian to begin with.  It never occurs to them.  The only thing they know is that those people don't sit next to them in the pew, thus they might not know Jesus.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 9:47AM #9
TPaine

Dec 1, 2009 -- 7:45PM, faith713 wrote:

A few bad apples does not mean the whole bunch is rotten.

Many Christians are called to share the Gospel yet do not ask for any money.

I know it's hard, Faith, but read Peter's quote carefully. He never said the proselytizers ask for money. He said the churches the proselyters attempt to get people to attend ask for money.

Matthew 24:14 

14And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Translation: You people who aren't Christians are all going to Hell, so we preach our salvation message to you because it's the only one that is valid. We can't prove that is true, but our inerrant Word of God says it is, in between the mistakes.

Matthew 11:28 

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

BTW, you that aren't heavy laden better come too unless you want to miss the opportunity to get to Heaven. Only Christians get there ya'know. It says so in Matthew. He's the only gospel author that mentioned Herod's Massacre of the Innocents which is not found in any Roman records, nor was it mentioned by Jewish historian Titus Flavius Josephus. So Matthew was the only person to mention it. He was also the only one to mention that when Jesus died on the cross:

Matthew 27:52-53 (New International Version)

52The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

This miraculous event was not mentioned in any other gospel, nor by any other Roman or Jewish writer at the time. You'd think such a happening would be big news.

"War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives." -- General Smedley Butler: War is a Racket (1935)

"War is mankind's most tragic and stupid folly; to seek or advise its deliberate provocation is a black crime against all men. Though you follow the trade of the warrior, you do so in the spirit of Washington — not of Genghis Khan. For Americans, only threat to our way of life justifies resort to conflict." - General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower: Graduation Exercises at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, USA at 3 June 1947
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 10:04AM #10
TPaine

Dec 2, 2009 -- 8:33AM, faith713 wrote:

Dec 2, 2009 -- 12:21AM, ZenYen wrote:

Christians are not mind readers, they have no way of telling who has received the message and who has not.

Faith, given the eleven 24 hour a day 7 days a week Christian television stations I can receive on my TV, the hundreds of Christian websites available, the almost daily news reports of some Christian event, or prayer breakfast, or day of prayer, or pastor on a secular interview show, or the 150+ Christian churches in my particular area, do you really think that anyone over the age of five that doesn't live as a hermit in a cave has not heard the Christian message of salvation?

"War is a racket. It always has been. It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives." -- General Smedley Butler: War is a Racket (1935)

"War is mankind's most tragic and stupid folly; to seek or advise its deliberate provocation is a black crime against all men. Though you follow the trade of the warrior, you do so in the spirit of Washington — not of Genghis Khan. For Americans, only threat to our way of life justifies resort to conflict." - General of the Army Dwight D. Eisenhower: Graduation Exercises at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, USA at 3 June 1947
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook