Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View When you're ready to hear about Ghandi, then maybe I'll listen to you about your lord and master....
5 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2009 - 11:43AM #1
Agnosticspirit
The pros and cons of proselytizing.... I don't see any pros, other than self-serving ones on the part of the proselytizer and too many cons on behalf of the victims... er, proselytizee.

Here's one for the record... I live in an urban area. Lotta JW's spreading the word. There I am, standing in front of a statue of Ghandi in the city plaza, contemplating this remarkable man and the mark he made on this world. Imagine his achievement. He sparked the movement of NON-VIOLENT resistance, non violent means to effect change for the better. He influenced countless people, and had a great influence on Martin Luther King. How much more bloody would the Civil Rights movement been had Ghandi not ever lived?

My peaceful contemplation was rudely interrupted when a man in a black suit walked up to me and wanted to know if I wanted to learn about the lord. Not interested, said I.... Being a persistent witness for his faith, he insisted that EVERYONE is interested in learning about the lord. Not interested, said I... your lord does not interest me. But----- but ----- but ----- he sputtered... EVERYONE is interested in learning about the lord! As if repeating his previous utterance would change my mind.

Wow... didn't we just HAVE this conversation? I've told him I'm not interested in the lord and he seems to think he's an omnipotent being who knows my mind better than I do. Isn't that like... blasphemous?

Said I.... when you're ready to hear about Ghandi, then MAYBE I'll listen to you about your lord.

No answer... He walked away, mentally scratching his head. Now THAT shut him up! Putting up a better example of a human being, a persistent proselytizer was finally rendered speechless.

amen praisethelord and hallelujah pass the wine!
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2009 - 7:11PM #2
peterthesplitfish

Shalom AS,

I wish I could have seen that one. A few years ago, a Baptist got out of his van while I was working in my yard...that should been enough clue I didn't want to be proselytized to, but he didn't get the hint very well. Anyway, I told him I wasn't interested in his Jesus/god of the Roman church. He went on about how he was Baptist. I said Baptist today, Catholic yesterday, and lost both times. He began to move away from me. I told there is only one G-d and that Jesus wasn't it. He was running back to his van while shouting that you can only get to heaven through Jesus. I said there is not heaven or hell and that that is all made up to keep you in a church throwing your money away. He sped off and never returned. Hmmm...maybe I should have turned up on Sunday morning to finish?

Peter M.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2009 - 9:18PM #3
Wmdkitty

@AS -- You know, I would have paid good money to see that. Thank you for sharing! *hugs*

I never come up with teh funnay until, like, two hours later -- but that's Fridge Brilliance for you.

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2009 - 1:44PM #4
Redfrog777

Yeah me too Kitty..........like an hour later. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2009 - 8:17AM #5
faith713

A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act. 
Mohandas Gandhi 

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 14, 2009 - 11:00AM #6
TPaine

Dec 14, 2009 -- 8:17AM, faith713 wrote:

A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act. 
Mohandas Gandhi 

We know Gandhi was not perfect, so what's your point, if you have one?

I hope you're not claiming that Gandhi was a Christian. The evidence in his own quotes proves conclusively that he was not:

"Religions are different roads converging to the same point. What does it matter that we take different road, so long as we reach the same goal. Wherein is the cause for quarrelling?" -- Mahatma Gandhi: Hind Swaraj, Or Indian Home Rule (1946)

"I wanted to know the best of the life of one (Muhammad) who holds today an undisputed sway over the hearts of millions of mankind. I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle." -- Mahatma Gandhi: Young India (1924)

"I am a Hindu by birth. And yet I do not know much of Hinduism, and I know less of other religions. In fact I do not know where I am, and what is and what should be my belief. I intend to make a careful study of my own religion and, as far as I can, of other religions as well." -- Mahatma Gandhi: Autobiography (1927)

"In reality there are as many religions as there are individuals." -- Mahatma Gandhi: Hind Swaraj (1908)

"It is impossible for me to reconcile myself to the idea of conversion after the style that goes on in India and elsewhere today. It is an error which is perhaps the greatest impediment to the world’s progress toward peace … Why should a Christian want to convert a Hindu to Christianity? Why should he not be satisfied if the Hindu is a good or godly man?" -- Mahatma Gandhi: Harijan (1937)

"I came to the conclusion long ago … that all religions were true and also that all had some error in them, and whilst I hold by my own, I should hold others as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we are Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu … But our innermost prayer should be a Hindu should be a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, a Christian a better Christian." --  Mahatma Gandhi: Young India (1928)

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2010 - 2:30AM #7
Thehiddenmagi

Some faith communities simply go too far in their prosylitizations. From members of the LDS who encroach on people's private property -- and at inconvenient times, no less! To JW who employ mere children to be far more familiar with adults than they ever should be.

Perhaps it is my age speaking, but greater care need be taken by these groups in their training and ethics of those they unleash upon a largely unsuspecting public. Though, oft-times, that would appear to be the purpose. Such shananigans, bordering the underhanded, if only I'd live long enough days to witness the end to it--

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 7:52AM #8
David

Nov 12, 2009 -- 7:11PM, peterthesplitfish wrote:

Shalom AS,

I wish I could have seen that one. A few years ago, a Baptist got out of his van while I was working in my yard...that should been enough clue I didn't want to be proselytized to, but he didn't get the hint very well. Anyway, I told him I wasn't interested in his Jesus/god of the Roman church. He went on about how he was Baptist. I said Baptist today, Catholic yesterday, and lost both times. He began to move away from me. I told there is only one G-d and that Jesus wasn't it. He was running back to his van while shouting that you can only get to heaven through Jesus. I said there is not heaven or hell and that that is all made up to keep you in a church throwing your money away. He sped off and never returned. Hmmm...maybe I should have turned up on Sunday morning to finish?

Peter M.

LOL! sounds like you Po'd the guy. Well, I wouldn't say that there is only one god, as I am pagan, i Believe in the many Gods, and I am also a Satan worshipper, he is my main God. Thanks for sharing, however. I'm not knocking you for your beliefs. But since you believe that Jesus isn't the only God, who is this one God that you believe in?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 7:55AM #9
David

Nov 12, 2009 -- 11:43AM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

The pros and cons of proselytizing.... I don't see any pros, other than self-serving ones on the part of the proselytizer and too many cons on behalf of the victims... er, proselytizee.   Here's one for the record... I live in an urban area. Lotta JW's spreading the word. There I am, standing in front of a statue of Ghandi in the city plaza, contemplating this remarkable man and the mark he made on this world. Imagine his achievement. He sparked the movement of NON-VIOLENT resistance, non violent means to effect change for the better. He influenced countless people, and had a great influence on Martin Luther King. How much more bloody would the Civil Rights movement been had Ghandi not ever lived?   My peaceful contemplation was rudely interrupted when a man in a black suit walked up to me and wanted to know if I wanted to learn about the lord. Not interested, said I.... Being a persistent witness for his faith, he insisted that EVERYONE is interested in learning about the lord. Not interested, said I... your lord does not interest me. But----- but ----- but ----- he sputtered... EVERYONE is interested in learning about the lord! As if repeating his previous utterance would change my mind.   Wow... didn't we just HAVE this conversation? I've told him I'm not interested in the lord and he seems to think he's an omnipotent being who knows my mind better than I do. Isn't that like... blasphemous?   Said I.... when you're ready to hear about Ghandi, then MAYBE I'll listen to you about your lord.   No answer... He walked away, mentally scratching his head. Now THAT shut him up! Putting up a better example of a human being, a persistent proselytizer was finally rendered speechless.   amen praisethelord and hallelujah pass the wine!

LOL< that guy was an idiot, didi he not hear you the first time? Jeez! Well, i for one am into ghandi, I like him, he played a majorly important role while here on Earth.I like Ghandi.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2010 - 9:37AM #10
faith713

Nov 12, 2009 -- 11:43AM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

The pros and cons of proselytizing.... I don't see any pros, other than self-serving ones on the part of the proselytizer and too many cons on behalf of the victims... er, proselytizee.

The pros far outweigh the cons. People's lives and hearts changed when they receive the Holy Spirit.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."--John14:6

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-- John 3:16

"We love Him because He first loved us."--1 John 4:9-10

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook