Switch to Forum Live View Why I like being a Unitarian Universalist.
4 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2009 - 12:55PM #1
Taciturnu

I'm never discluding anyone. We are of all faiths originally, some of us are atheists or agnostic, many of us are humanists, and others come from Christian, Buddhist, Spiritual (or any other) backgrounds.

"God" is not a condemning source, as described by many religions, if there is a God at all! I enjoy the cultural and spiritual diversity, as well as the idea that none of us are wrong.

I appreciate that our congregations call us into action regarding social issues we are interested in. It keeps the spirit of UUism moving all week, and not just on Sunday.

We are all connected. In one way or another, we all rely on the others in the world, as well as natural happenings. We have respect for that.

I love that we are all just people. We are all just trying to do our best. None of us is stronger in our faith because we do this, or we don't do that. We are equal, no matter what.

That's why I like being a Unitarian Universalist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2009 - 5:35PM #2
Confusedman

I find UU churches to be good places for conversation.  Especially since I'm religiously confused and if I spoke about such things at the church I normally go to they'd most likely not be very happy about my doubts and they'd get very emotional in a bad way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2009 - 6:05PM #3
Taciturnu

Nov 12, 2009 -- 5:35PM, Confusedman wrote:

I find UU churches to be good places for conversation.  Especially since I'm religiously confused and if I spoke about such things at the church I normally go to they'd most likely not be very happy about my doubts and they'd get very emotional in a bad way.

Thanks, Confusedman. I agree 100%. I stumbled across it some years ago when I had already decided that I wasn't going to find any formal religion to suit my personal beliefs. Surprise!

I do find that most organized religion has a condemning nature, and doubts or alternative thoughts aren't very well tolerated. I understand completely where you're coming from!

If you'd like to talk and reflect about your thoughts, I love conversations like that. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook