Page 1 of 34  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34 Next
5 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2009 - 11:00AM #1
Salim1

Let's talk here about Interfaith Dialog. Do you believe in such? Do you think different religions are trying to reach one another, or are they merely pushing each other away?

A few websites to get more info - Gulen Institute, Gulen Movement in action.

Learn more about Fethullah Gulen, the initiator of worlwide Interfaith Dialog movement.

Institute of Interfaith Dialog, in Houston/Texas, also advocates interfaith dialog. This is from their website (www.interfaithdialog.org/about-iid.html):

The Institute of Interfaith Dialog (IID) grew out of the need to address the question, "How can citizens of the world live in peace and harmony?" The Institute was established in 2002 as a 501-c-3 non-profit educational organization by Turkish-Americans and their friends. The Institute aims to eliminate or reduce false stereotypes, prejudices and unjustified fears through direct human communication. Toward these goals the Institute organizes academic and grass roots activities such as conferences , panels, symposia, interfaith family dinners and cultural exchange trips . Many participants of the Institute’s activities are inspired by the discourse and pioneering dialogue initiatives of the Turkish Muslim scholar, writer and educator Fethullah Gulen . Headquartered in Houston, Texas, the Institute has branch offices in five states and representatives throughout the South-Central United States.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 19, 2011 - 1:22PM #2
Craig_w_dressler

Sadly, most interfaith dialog simply waters down the truth and attempts to make it palatable to every person.  In the end people end up believing very little of any substance.  Biblical truth is not negotiable.  You either believe it and head towards heaven through faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord or you don't.  Jesus' own words make this clear: "No person comes to the Father(God) except through me."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 20, 2011 - 10:34PM #3
LeahOne

There's no talking with those suffering from 'True Believer's Syndrome'.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 9:38AM #4
Sacrificialgoddess

Interfaith dialogue is possible, provided we talk to each other, rather than at each other.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2011 - 5:38PM #5
Al41

I don't know if you are still here.  I am interested in this topic.  I believe that all people have something to offer.  God made us all.  I am a very open-minded Christian.  I like to think it is Christlike to be loving and accepting rather than vice versa.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2011 - 11:48PM #6
gorm-sionnach

Well, Salim1 is no longer active (and according to the post number was only ever active once), these boards certainyl are; albeit some are more active than others.

I can appreciate your willingness to listen to others, but we already find ourselves at what is likely to be an insurmountable obstacle. My understanding of your religion and its mythology, is assuredly quite apart from your own. You see, I do not recognize your god; or at least not in the same way you do, and I wonder if there is any getting past even this single point.

You see, when one is a member of the Abrahamaic faiths (or of other faiths where the line between monotheism and pantheism is rather fuzzy) interfaith understanding and even reconciliation between differing theologies is conceptually plausible, because at the end of the day there is the belief that you're all worshipping the same deity, albeit in different ways.

I, on the other hand, could not be counted among that number, being a polytheist. I understand your deity as one among many, and even then don't really concern myself with him. As such, statements like "God made us all" means nothing to me. Therefore it is no basis upon which to build an interfaith dialouge, as it precludes that I recognize your deity in the manner you do, which is certainly not the case.

I am perfectly happy with the "live and let live" position, and am interested in a dialouge; just not one which is built upon the assumption that you and I are worshipping the same deity.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 11:16AM #7
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Gorm,

I not only see his "God made us all" statement as reflecting that we recognize his deity in the manner that he does, but a rejection of the other creation ideas that the rest of us may have. 

He may state that he is a "very open minded Christian" but that it follows such a statement shows how oxymoronic such a statement really is. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 11:36AM #8
gorm-sionnach

Jul 11, 2011 -- 11:16AM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Gorm,

I not only see his "God made us all" statement as reflecting that we recognize his deity in the manner that he does, but a rejection of the other creation ideas that the rest of us may have. 

He may state that he is a "very open minded Christian" but that it follows such a statement shows how oxymoronic such a statement really is. 

all

Well, and I'm just guessing here, he(?) would likely be supportive of the notion that "all paths lead to (his) god", which is the extent pluralism (and open-mindedness) can exist within a monotheistic theology. From their perspective, I wouldn't go so far as to call it oxymoronic; just limited.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 2:19PM #9
Al41

Wow! You are so right. That statement was totally exclusionary,unkind, and unthinking on my part.  I sincerely apologize.  I am glad it got people talking though.  I'd like to know more about what you believe. By the way....even the Bible recognizes other gods and "company of heaven" in the Old Testament although most Christian that I know would never admit it. Also, I'm female...so it was a she that was so insensitive and rude.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2011 - 2:36PM #10
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Jul 11, 2011 -- 11:36AM, gorm-sionnach wrote:

Jul 11, 2011 -- 11:16AM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Gorm,

all

Well, and I'm just guessing here, he(?) would likely be supportive of the notion that "all paths lead to (his) god", which is the extent pluralism (and open-mindedness) can exist within a monotheistic theology. From their perspective, I wouldn't go so far as to call it oxymoronic; just limited.

I'm just blunt about it.  The 'all paths lead up the same mountain' works for the big 3 (4, or 5, but whose counting?) but I've been pushing the "different paths up different mountains" lately. 

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 34  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 34 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook