Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Could The Antichrist Be A Christian Fundie?
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2009 - 11:08PM #1
Leliel

First off-I do not believe the End Times are coming, nor do I believe that they can be predicted-even the Bible says that no one can know when it comes, so I just live my life as I may, to the best of my abilities.

However, I am also interested in the occult and Fortean-to wit, I believe that ghosts and UFOs may have something to them-I occasionally read stories of the Apocalypse.

It was then that I realized something about the Christian one-a lot of the traits ascribed to the Antichrist (false savior, charismatic, egomaniacal, claims to have a direct line to God when in fact it's the Devil) can be said about certain fundamentalist Christians.

True, they themselves believe that they indeed speak to God-but who's to say that the Lightbringer (if he exists), finds the idea of perverting his eternal foe's worshippers into soldiers of hate and hubris amusing?

And despite what some may think, no, I believe hating people just on the basis of who they are genetically and ideologically-ie, homosexuals-without any merit other than personal dislike is always wrong and sinful, despite any religious justification one might have. Indeed, that makes it worse-the parable of the Pharisee and the Peasant, after all (I think that's what it's called-you know, the one where the Pharisee looks down on the dirty man for praying at the same time he does).

So, what do you think?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2009 - 7:43AM #2
Iwantamotto

I've suspected the antiChrist would come from Christianity for many years now.  It just makes more sense to have a "Judas" among the ranks.  The amusing thing for me is that fundies act like non-fundies are the antiChrist, but, I find it intriguing the character is supposed to bring peace into the world and make the world a "better" place.

Naturally, that is evil.  :P

I think some people need hostility.  Their sense of self is only relative to others.  I hear them claiming Jesus/Rambo will come back and enforce 1000 years of "peace" (namely, by killing off tons of other people), even though while He was alive He was against rebellion against even "imperialist white guys", an image produced by an embittered jailbird.  If you take away all that bloodshed, they will have to come to grips that they have no real self-identity and that's why they NEED to have a battle royale handy.

But that's what you get when you listen to everyone (Paul, Peter, Jailbird John of Revelations, etc) BUT Jesus.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2009 - 7:12PM #3
Bob_Bennett

The anti-Christ is the Ego and its rejections of the teachings of Jesus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2009 - 8:07PM #4
mainecaptain

Oct 23, 2009 -- 7:12PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

The anti-Christ is the Ego and its rejections of the teachings of Jesus.

This of course would only apply to a Christian. Those of other relgions and other gods would not have anything to do with such.

And as has been stated so many times before, "Anti" means "before"

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 5:13PM #5
Eagle-1

Surprise, I  think  your  hunch  is  right,  that  the  beastly antichrist  is  a  sociopath  among the   fundamentalists  who  arrogantly   think  they're  the  only  denomination  that  could be right.    I   may  even  know  someone  from   way  back  decades  ago  who  accuses  fellow Christians  behind their backs  and  opposes  their  successes  in the world,  simple  jealousy.    In  fact, the Bible  says,  2nd Cor. 11:14,  Satan  himself  is  in  religion, posing as one of the messengers  of  light.   But  in  other  verses  we  more  clues  about  him  that  he  teaches  HATRED  in the house of his  God,  so we're supposed to know he's a  false teacher.   Whoever  goes  along  with  his  wick  ways  and  believes  his  lies  we're  told will perish,  and  by some strange coincidence  I've  known  quite a few  people who've  died  of  cancer  or  whatever  who  were  I  think involved with the bad  one  in  corruption.   

About  homosexuals, I don't think  people  hate  them  so  much as they want God's  law and order respected.    Part  of  the  great  falling away, the apostasy,  may  be  some churches' presuming to reverse  God's  decision  about  destroying  morally  hopeless  Sodom.  It  didn't happen for many centuries, until  maybe  now.  Whenever  any  gays have been mis-treated, killed,  it's  been  big  news,  few and far between.  Harvey  Milk  is the only  one I can think of, though I know there's been a few more.   Many  more  innocent  CHILDREN  are  getting  killed  these  days,  also women, and our military  men,  and  gays  get  special  treatment.  It's women  who're  mistreated, imyverystrongop, personal experience.  The  accuser/opposer  of  the saints who're trying to live right  may  bribe  whole cities, for instance,  with a new auditorium, paid for by tax payers, to boycott  some  classical  musician  who  doesn't go along  with  him.  Just  some  thoughts on the subject.   I  do  think  you're  right  he  certainly  could be a  fundie. 

Eagle
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 5:22PM #6
Ageo

There are many anti-christs.

Those that hate their enemies are against christ.

Those that serve money rather than Adonai are against christ.

Those that see specks in others, without earnestly seeing the plank in their own eyes, are against christ.

You know an anti-christ by their fruit.  Their fruit grows from their understandings and blossoms as their actions.  The fruit may look sweet and delicious, yet it causes rot in the belly of those that eat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 11:48PM #7
gnosticlight

Whenever the ego wins, the anti-christ reigns.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2010 - 5:24PM #8
Eagle-1

He's to come in the form of a man, "and his number" is 666.   Which probably  just means  six letters in each name, probably not numerology, Nero, etc., because  we  only  read about one.  And  he  has  a  partner  who's  a  false  prophet in religion.    They're referred to as  "the beast and the false prophet" I believe.  

Eagle
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 27, 2012 - 11:36PM #9
Roodog

Oct 6, 2009 -- 11:08PM, Leliel wrote:

First off-I do not believe the End Times are coming, nor do I believe that they can be predicted-even the Bible says that no one can know when it comes, so I just live my life as I may, to the best of my abilities.

However, I am also interested in the occult and Fortean-to wit, I believe that ghosts and UFOs may have something to them-I occasionally read stories of the Apocalypse.

It was then that I realized something about the Christian one-a lot of the traits ascribed to the Antichrist (false savior, charismatic, egomaniacal, claims to have a direct line to God when in fact it's the Devil) can be said about certain fundamentalist Christians.

True, they themselves believe that they indeed speak to God-but who's to say that the Lightbringer (if he exists), finds the idea of perverting his eternal foe's worshippers into soldiers of hate and hubris amusing?

And despite what some may think, no, I believe hating people just on the basis of who they are genetically and ideologically-ie, homosexuals-without any merit other than personal dislike is always wrong and sinful, despite any religious justification one might have. Indeed, that makes it worse-the parable of the Pharisee and the Peasant, after all (I think that's what it's called-you know, the one where the Pharisee looks down on the dirty man for praying at the same time he does).

So, what do you think?

Not a fundie of good standing.Tongue Out

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2012 - 1:34AM #10
Namchuck

Jan 12, 2010 -- 11:48PM, gnosticlight wrote:

Whenever the ego wins, the anti-christ reigns.

That's daft. Even some little children have expansive ego's.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook