Switch to Forum Live View trauma or PTSD and spirituality/religion
5 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2009 - 11:13AM #1
Getrtg

I am a Vietnam veteran who is a survivor of an atrocity.

I grew up with a strong Lutheran faith. Ever since the trauma, I have wandered through many religious traditions and practices. I won't bother listing them. It is a long list. Maybe in a future post.

I wouldn't mind getting some faith back. I have recently had an inkling of a new path, that is quite unconventional, I think. I guess that is all I will say for now.

I would be interested if anyone has knowledge or experience of the phenomen of trauma affecting a persons path to a religion, or to spirituality, per se. Or let's call it God.

RANDY

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2009 - 5:09PM #2
Bob_Bennett

Sep 4, 2009 -- 11:13AM, Getrtg wrote:

I am a Vietnam veteran who is a survivor of an atrocity.

I grew up with a strong Lutheran faith. Ever since the trauma, I have wandered through many religious traditions and practices. I won't bother listing them. It is a long list. Maybe in a future post.

I wouldn't mind getting some faith back. I have recently had an inkling of a new path, that is quite unconventional, I think. I guess that is all I will say for now.

I would be interested if anyone has knowledge or experience of the phenomen of trauma affecting a persons path to a religion, or to spirituality, per se. Or let's call it God.

RANDY

It seems pretty reasonable that trauma will have an impact on one's faith.   One might decide to stop believing in good or that God protects anyone.

Use it as a time to explore other faiths, especially ones that are not simplistic, ones that don't purport to have all of  the answers.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook