5 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2009 - 2:30AM #1
Yellowshirt

I wonder why we are so divided. There should be no more of "he is sect A" and "she is sect B" or "that is heretic". Why? Why do we have to fight and kill each other?(whatever religions)

Why is there a need to proselytize people or reinforce them to? Isn't all goals of all religions is: binding human to the highest thing? Cannot we accept different sects or religions, since all of the highest target is to keep people in moralities?

Why must there be critiques of this sect and that sect? Even in the same religion, I saw on this board, also criticize each other. Why? Cannot we at least find common ground and stop fighting?

Is not all religions tool against materialism and evilness? If we still going on and on, saying "only my God is truth" and quarrel with each other, why do you think there are atheists in the world? (Me personally is a non-secularist)

I think there is no need to proselytize anybody - that would create even more fights, quarrels and conflicts. Every religions leads to binding humans to the highest thing and now materialism is conquering the world, should not we unite together and fight against them instead.

If a religion a person hold teaches them to be good and cares for others, you have no reason to proselytize them... just let them be like that. Think like this: God has opted them to be like that. God created that belief and opted that the world should be like that.

The world would be a much happier and sinless place!

P.S. I'm not criticizing anyone and I'm just writing here for the hope of peace. If I have offended anyone, I must apologize.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2009 - 1:01PM #2
Heretic_for_Christ

Yelliowshirt,

Divisiveness is the ESSENCE of doctrinal religion. It is exactly BECAUSE doctrine teaches that certain things are true and other things are false that the members of different religions or different branches of the same religion regard each other with distrust. "Only one doctrine can be right," says the religious person; then he points to the scriptures held sacred by his religion and says, "And mine is the right doctrine, because it is based on the word of God. That means your religion's doctrine wrong. That means you believe the wrong things about God. That means you are not a friend of God but an enemy. That means I must convert you to my religion or kill you."

Most religious people don't think this way anymore -- at least, not in a literal sense -- but that was the stance of doctrinal religion just a few centuries ago.

Not all religions proselytize. Christianity does, Judaism does not; it may or may not be coincidental that Christianity is a soteriological religion (centered around a doctrine of salvation) and Judaism is not. Christianity considers proselytizing an order from God -- based on what is called "The Great Commission" in the Greek scriptures, although I think that passage (Matthew 28:18-20) has been completely misunderstood and distorted into something that Jesus never intended.

The idea that the goal of religion is to encourage morality is quite cynical -- not necessarily wrong, but cynical. For the truth or falsity of belief is then irrelevant, and God is simply a device to frighten people, much as a small child who is misbehaving might be told that the Bogeyman will come to punish him if he does not stop misbehaving.

I agree that the world would be a far better place without the divisiveness that is an intrinsic part of doctrinal religion. But atheism is not the only alternative to doctrinal religion. Unlike religion, which divides people into groups separated by walls that separate "right" doctrine from "wrong" doctrine, spirituality breaks down walls by emphasizing that there is a spark of the divine in all of us, at all times. This is my experience of God -- as spiritual presence within me, not as external superbeing. I have no problem with people being part of this or that religion except when their doctrinal beliefs become fanatical. Fanaticism has no place in spirituality as the awareness of the divine within ourselves and others and our surroundings.

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2009 - 4:38PM #3
Serenity1552

Everyone should be encouraged to belive in a spiritual system that feels right to them.

Listen to your heart, it is the source of wisdom

There should be only 1 rule

DO NO HARM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2009 - 6:12AM #4
Suze

Divisiveness is a part of human nature. It is a fundamental part of how our brain works, also. We constantly need to categorise information in order to make sense of it. Our brains do this continuously.

People divide themselves in groups based on religion, ethnicity, appearance, shared history and many other criteria. Someone once said that a global community of sorts will never exist until there is an opposing global community of martians, or other extraterrestrials. Us and them.

If you like reading, I recommend books by Thomas Eriksen or Frederik Barth, who speak precisely about how people categorise us and them. It is a fundamental part of feeling and establishing security and belonging, a human need. Criticism, violence, and binding are all means of establising this, however unfortunate it may be.

Yes, we should accept our differences. And live peacefully together, I agree with that completely. All religions are based on peace and coexistance. And I too believe that God created the world and has separated us in different groups so that we may know one another.

When it comes to proselytizing, it should not be forceful. You cannot and should not ever force your views on anyone. But I don't see harm in inviting people to what you feel is right or good for people.

I have my faith, but if others come to me to invite me to their faith, I listen to them, I want to hear their story, and I love them for their sincere feelings of wanting to share that which they believe in with me. And if anyone asks, I'll share what I believe with them. What they do after that, is up to them.

Jul 19, 2009 -- 1:01PM, Heretic_for_Christ wrote:

"Only one doctrine can be right," says the religious person; then he points to the scriptures held sacred by his religion and says, "And mine is the right doctrine, because it is based on the word of God. That means your religion's doctrine wrong. That means you believe the wrong things about God. That means you are not a friend of God but an enemy. That means I must convert you to my religion or kill you."

The following verse offers a slightly different ending to your scenario.

"Say: oh ye unbelievers

I worship not that which ye worship

Nor will ye worship that which I worship

And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship

Nor will ye worship that which I worship

To you be your way, and to me mine"

Peace =)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2009 - 6:04PM #5
Confusedman

One reason would be that certain religions teach that one is in danger of hell if they believe in something else. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook